Boarding Assaults

mega_marines

Alright people, we see Forge World released the rules for Boarding Actions/Assaults for us all in Imperial Armor Volume 9: The Badab War Part 1. While the game-style for it is not competitive by any means, this topic is to bring up ideas, combos, or army styles you prefer when fighting in these.

Even if you haven't fought in a Boarding Assault yet, feel free to post your personal ideas and thoughts. What's your favorite Stratagem Combo to run? Do you give everyone Void Hardened Armor with some Boarding Shields thrown in; or do you just run tons of Terminators for that juicy 2+ Armor Save?

Share you thoughts, your ideas, your armies, your tactics, and play-styles here! The more people that know and become educated about Boarding Assault games. the more popular the system will become. For all the mentions in 40k background, it's neglected on the tabletop by a far measure.

I'll get the ball rolling for us with my own.

In the few times I've played, I've been able to run my Lamenters(who use Codex: BA) and my Carcharodons(who use Codex:SM). Both armies, despite being very similar in heart, play very differently on the table.

For one, my Lamenters have plenty of Tactical Squads, but their Red Thirst always makes me want to get into grips with the enemy a bit more, especially considering the fact that I have a bit more close ranged weaponry in the army. In contrast, the Sternguard of the army(All five of them, hah) are always seen either staying put taking pot shots or holding down corridors with massive firepower. This I have noticed, has led me to provide the Sternguard with Boarding Shields, one Tactical squad with a Lascutter, and another or two with Void Hardened Armor. When defending, I'll typically always use Security Airlocks and Bulkhead Doors; yet when attacking, seem to stay how I normally run.

For my Carcharodons, despite my preference with being very blunt with them, I always seem to prefer playing them as flufy as possible; attacking from every angle. Thus, I'd run Flanking Counter-Assault more often than not, just to get closer as well as Interdiction Assault to keep the enemy on their toes since I could arrive ANYWHERE. When on defensive duty with my good 'ole Sharks, they typically have Defensive Strongpoint as well as Traps. Essentially helping me whittle down the enemy forces while mitigating the loss of my own while holding a point, and creating multiple choke-points that make for intense games.

What about you guys?

honestly i have never tried it!

but i would love to give it a go it sounds so awesome!

my boarding action army would include a couple heavy bolters and assault cannons for plenty of firing lines as well as plenty of flamers/melta/plasma for the getting close and personal!

a deadly mix of these i feel would take any ship ;)

Wisey ;)

I haven't tried the Boarding Action rules myself, but they'd be perfect for my Soul Drinkers, who specialize in that. On the tabletop, I'm modeling this as huge drills on the top of my Drop Pods and Meltas for cutting bulkheads. I also run a Stormraven as a tabletop Counts As Thunderhawk (which the Soul Drinkers used in the books)

As for tactics, the Drop pods get fired off, attach themselves to the hull and start drilling in, using their drop thrusters as sublight engines. The Thunderhawk finds the airlock and links up, with a few devastator squads armed with Multi-meltas and Missile Launchers cut through the bulkhead and wreck havoc.

Everything else is assault marines, tac marines and techmarines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the actual boarding action rules, I'll have to get ahold of the book and look it over.

Archived