Daemon Possessed Hive Tyrant

jma037

Can a daemon possess a Hive tyrant? What if the Hive Tyrant has been seperated from the Hive Mind?

In the EoT? On a normal planet?

Can a possessed Hive Tyrant control other tyranids?

Thoughts?

Guys?

hello?

1) I can think of no evidence one way or another beyond the Shadow of the Warp does block aspects of the warp which I would assume would include possession.

2) I believe that the background is pretty clear that the Tyrant is a walking focal point of the hive mind, so I really don't think it could be seperated. Its one thing to take control of a semi-feral Tyranid, its quite another to break a key element in its synapse web.

3) Anything is possible in the EoT...

4) Very unlikely I'd say.

p.s. I know that there is evidence of the Obliterator Virus being used to dominate Tyranid organisms but as I mentioned above, I don't think that same rationale could be used to break and possess a Tyrant.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but if you just want to have a possessed Hive Tyrant for whatever DIY reason, wouldn't possessing a corpse be within the fluff? There would be no synapse control of other Tyranids, but a Tyranid corpse separated from the Hive Mind by death is just a shell, and one that could be effectively used by a bound daemon the way that Defilers and Soul Grinders work. Maybe some Chaos-y mutations and a new color scheme, perhaps a Lesser Daemon riding on it like a Herald, to show what it is and separate it from a Tyranid model.

I like your thinking Max. Animating a dead Tyrant is a much easier argument to buy then possessing a living one.

You might have to address how its being kept alive though, as I remember bits of fluff about it being hard to maintain a dead/dying shell.

A nurgle virus keeps the metabolism going? Nids live to eat, so I suppose that even in death, given the power, if there is a fragment of life in the nid then it would want to kill something, just having the daemon there for the push might throw it over? don't know. We're getting into zombie territory now.

In the old Daemonhunters codex there is a small tale of Tyranid hivefleet getting sucked into some sort of warpstorm and emerging demonically altered. I find it difficult for there to be just the Tyrant and not the rest of the 'nids kicking around though, I find they are hard things to separate.

They all want to watch the galaxy burn.

Problem solved.

Basically yeah.

Chaos is manipulating the Orks and/or Tyranid to hit an Imperial planet as cover for their own nefarious devices.

Orks are looking for loot and/or they are planning on stealing whatever the CSMs are going after.

Tyranid are planning on eating everything anyway.

The only bit of fluff that I can think of that would support this was in 'Storm of Iron'. The Iron Warriors DP Warsmith had captured a 'nid "ship", dragged it back to the Eye, subsumed it to his will, and used it's enslaved form to transport and drop off his Titans from planet to planet. Matter of fact, it carried no less then the infamous "Dies Irae" itself. 'Storm' is a bit of an older story nowadays (but still in my top five), though. Not sure how well that bit 'o' fluff would hold up these days.

See. The ork part is easy. But, I'm not a nid player here, I thought the thought process for nids are :"hungry hungry hungry eat eat eat". Can a Hive Tyrant even communicate with CSM besides flooding your thoughts with a overwhelming sense of hunger? In the campaign, the Nid and Ork players will be under the command of the Chaos player. How can a hive tyrant ally with a Chaos Daemon Prince without being in a equal relationship/ or simply taking advantage of the situation?

Last time I had a 'Nid partner for a Apoc game, we had a question like this come up. Basically, he ran the idea that they wern't 'Nids at all, but instead Dark Mechanicus biology experiments gone wrong (or right, whatever :drool: ).

See. The ork part is easy. But, I'm not a nid player here, I thought the thought process for nids are :"hungry hungry hungry eat eat eat". Can a Hive Tyrant even communicate with CSM besides flooding your thoughts with a overwhelming sense of hunger? In the campaign, the Nid and Ork players will be under the command of the Chaos player. How can a hive tyrant ally with a Chaos Daemon Prince without being in a equal relationship/ or simply taking advantage of the situation?

Don't think of it as an ally in the normal sense. They're not communicating back and forth and debating tactics.

The Tyranids simply view the Imperials as the more immediate threat and are thereby targeting them first while Chaos is scouting and reacting to the movements of the Tyranid to keep the enemy between their forces and lure/bait them into Imperial lines.

I find it easier to think of the Tyranids attacking more as a natural disaster then an army assaulting a position.

Don't think of it as an ally in the normal sense. They're not communicating back and forth and debating tactics.

The Tyranids simply view the Imperials as the more immediate threat and are thereby targeting them first while Chaos is scouting and reacting to the movements of the Tyranid to keep the enemy between their forces and lure/bait them into Imperial lines.

I find it easier to think of the Tyranids attacking more as a natural disaster then an army assaulting a position.

This is my point exactly. In this campaign, there will be small kill team matches where the Tyranids and orks works for the daemon prince. I'm trying to figure out how to justify the tyranids taking orders.

This is my point exactly. In this campaign, there will be small kill team matches where the Tyranids and orks works for the daemon prince. I'm trying to figure out how to justify the tyranids taking orders.

My personal opinion is "don't". Tyranids won't take orders, not even from a DP. I agree with the above posters in that the 'nids are more like a natural disaster than part of a cohesive (or semi-cohesive given that it's Chaos and Orks) army. Granted I've never been a fan of writing in armies just for the sake of having them present due to limitations in choices, but if you need 'nids to be a part of it I'd rewrite it so that they do not take orders from the Chaos Marines, rather they are present for their own reasons and that this may happen to coincide with the objectives of Chaos and Orks. It all depends on how closely you want the fluff and story you're writing to be represented on the table (i.e. the 'nid player would have to capture objective and communicate with the other players <_< ). Perhaps the 'nid player can be a third party wild card in a campaign?

At the end of the day though, it's your game and you guys can do whatever you want with it.

Your typical, garden variety Nids could potentially be controlled by an exceptionally powerful chaos sorcerer in absence of the hive mind.

If you wanted to attack a field of grass, you could ally a sheepdog with a shepherd, who both communicate with each other, who then intelligently herd the sheep to eat the grass.

A chaos lord could fool an Ork leader into a temporary alliance, and they work together to manipulate the Tyranids, who attack the closest and most threatening food source.

Allies don't necessarily have to get on, or even communicate, if one can manipulate the other.

Heh heh, Chaos Shepherds! Fleece for the Fleece God!

Realistically, the only time that you really have to think about the 'Nids is if there is a Synapse creature on the board. Genestealers are autonomous and react as a normal sentient creature would. Gaunts of any variety are beasts so can be driven and follow their instincts. Synapse creatures (like the Tyrants and Warriors) are the only point where getting control of them would be difficult.

However, a Nurgle virus that reanimated sufficient portions of the Synapse portion of the Tyrant for only local control COULD work, but that may be stretching.

What level of points are your Kill Teams focused on? If small enough, you may not have to include a Tyrant (unless it's for story/model reasons).

Understand it? Yes, if it felt the need to learn the language.

But I doubt it would have the equipment to actually speak it.

Psychic transmission could be possible. It's brain is capable of it.

But if powered by Nurgle, than the daemon influence would warp it so it could speak.

Last time I had a 'Nid partner for a Apoc game, we had a question like this come up. Basically, he ran the idea that they wern't 'Nids at all, but instead Dark Mechanicus biology experiments gone wrong (or right, whatever :P ).

This seems reasonable to me.

Take the swarmlord? Fluff wose, he's smart enough to know when to fight and when to let others fight for him. He murdered some smace marines and was strong enough to make hormagaunts play dead. he isnt "killeatkilleatkilleat", he actually has a thought process.

Archived