[ARTWORK]next personal piece NSFW Khorny stuff

dudes, dont rush to conclusions. The face is about 1/10th of the entire image... And if you look at the last image, thats how big the final ill be shown on these boards, so the face will be far FAR less detailed in theat view plus there will be other things to show in it ;)

I told you, its a WiP :)

More to come next time I hve had a chance to paint, got some work-illos to do first...

I'm liking what you have do here so far. The tired and pissed look add more to the character then the more common angry all the time look. The only thing that I see "off" is the lights around the neck make the head look like it is floating and not attached to the torso.

Cheers guys,

eceryone is entitled to their own opinions, hence I make an illustration of my own opinion on how Angron looks. Its not going to jive with everyone. I knew that.

I would like to take a moment to explain some of my choices around this image.

_-Character-_

Bloodspiller

I wanted the character to have the characteristics of a true follower of Khorne. What does this mean? Well, in my opinion that means a person who will spill blood for glory, spill blood for honour, spill blood for sustenance, spill blood for healing, spill blood for survival...and all of the above in the name of Khorne.

That might sound very bloody and gory, but Im aproaching this from a psychological point of view, and I dont mean that there wont be blood (obviously there is, you've seen the WiPs) but rather I am trying to show a man who spends all of his waking hours spilling blood. Not all times it will be in a frenzy, some times it will be in joy, in sadness in straining situations and when tired.

TechnoGladiator

Angron has the agressive-augmenting chips stuck to his head. These are meant to augment his agressiveness whilst fighting as a Gladiator. They also make him get uncontrollable fits of rage, which will, after years, decades, centuries be tiresome, even for a Primarch.

Skulltaker

This is more visual, there will be skulls, lets keep it at that.

_-Style-_

Gladiator

I am trying my best to make the armour of Angron look very much greco-roman gladiator-styled. But I cannot do that completely since this is set in the distant future, far out in space.

Images by Wayne England and the cover of Tales of Heresy have stood as influence for some of the details, such as the Bevor stretching behin his head, partially shielding the cabling from behind. The two romanesque chest-shields are also based upon Roman and Greek armour adornments.

Mola Ram

I wanted the character to have certain traits that just looked... characterful an ambigous.

I used several faces as reference for this character, one of the ones that you lot probably had no clue about is that of Mola Ram (played by Amrish Puri) from Temple of doom.

http://triviana.com/film/ifilm/indy2p.jpg

The character is just perfect as inspiration for Angron- shrinking heads, taking out hearts and running a bloodcult, plus he has some features that just made me think Angron- The broad chin with high cheekbones, the dark around the eyes and the red paint on the head - aching to the same thing on all known illustrations of Angron (before Demonprince).

I am still altering the face somewhat though for the most part I am done with it, I am not going to give him more colour like Mola Ram, I dont want it to be a copy, rather just inspired by him. And thats how I use ref nowadays, as inspiration and to get light correct.

Other references

I took a lot of inspiration from painters Kevin Llewellyn and Michael Hussar, aswell as Rubens and Rembrandt (mostly their way of using Chiaroscuro, a way of painting very dark darks and very bright brights- to simplify it alot).

This explains my colours alot.

White Armour?

Yes, I am painting Angrons armour White and Brass/Copper, with small patches of other colours such as red and green.

The reason for this is actually a personal preference based upon something fellow artist an friend Nicholás Giancola (Aerion-the-Faithful) said after having painted Angron:

"There's an official representation of Angron, which I didn't hold too close to my chest when coming up with my own vision. To me, his gladiatorial past was paramount to the character as well as the whole anger stance he should have. On top of that, I also envisioned this Primarch to be like Alpharius: closer to the rank and file soldier than high up above them. Getting dirty is a must for a leader who's watched in horror how all of his battle brothers were slaughtered in his homeworld.

There are a few details I'd like to point out and which hold particular interest to me: the gory axe versus the white of his armour are something I love. I thought about the grim fact that white armour would likely be moist with blood all the time, making it more noticeable and terrible to behold; I chose it over the gold of the official."

This stuck with me, and even though I'm not going towards a blueish tangentcolour to the white, the idea stays the same- Blood just stands out more on white.

I just hope there will be enough white armour to show it when I'm done...

There, some reasoning behind how I paint this personal painting.

and here is the update;

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/104/d/9/wip___angron_4_by_1mpact-d3dycr5.jpg

As with all your work, I think its amazing. I only commented on the lack of PG-13 material ... which I'm sure will come later. I look forward to seeing this come together.

One last attempt:

Look at the image you just posted as reference (the one of Mola Ram)

Look at how bad-ass he looks, squinting to the side like that. Looking side-ways at some possible threat (and ignoring whoever's in front of you) is just more "evil looking" than staring blankly ahead.

Maybe I've been playing too much Pokémon lately, but he reminds me of Slowpoke with that empty stare of his.

One last attempt:

Look at the image you just posted as reference (the one of Mola Ram)

Look at how bad-ass he looks, squinting to the side like that. Looking side-ways at some possible threat (and ignoring whoever's in front of you) is just more "evil looking" than staring blankly ahead.

Maybe I've been playing too much Pokémon lately, but he reminds me of Slowpoke with that empty stare of his.

I understand you, I understood you the first time, but you might miss the fact that we are looking at Angron as he is offering something to someone, and WE are standing in that someones shoes... Sudenly he isnt staring blankly, he is actually looking straight at someone, with tired eyes.

Sure the Mola Ram photo is characterful, but its a photo, taken in a moment. Im making an illustration, I dont "just paint" things, every stroke has an intent. It might not be what you, personally, would have wanted to see, but thats because this is a personal piece. Its what I want to see.

I'll gladly paint Angron however you want to see him, or however anyone else want to see him, if I get commissioned to do so. :D

Fair enough, it's your picture and you do whatever you want with it.

"Every stroke has an intent" made me chuckle a little, but if that attitude helps you create these great paintings than more power to you.

I always enjoy your artwork and this one's a pleasure to look at, too. I didn't want to force my own ideas on you, just thought my comment went unnoticed (which I am, like most internet-people, allergic to).

I didn't know that he is handing something to someone (either I missed you saying that because of the pretty pictures or this is just new info) so I'll shut up now and wait for the finished piece :tu:

Fair enough, it's your picture and you do whatever you want with it.

"Every stroke has an intent" made me chuckle a little, but if that attitude helps you create these great paintings than more power to you.

I always enjoy your artwork and this one's a pleasure to look at, too. I didn't want to force my own ideas on you, just thought my comment went unnoticed (which I am, like most internet-people, allergic to).

I didn't know that he is handing something to someone (either I missed you saying that because of the pretty pictures or this is just new info) so I'll shut up now and wait for the finished piece :tu:

Nah, I hadnt told that before, I was sortaz planning to reveal that when the painting was done :/

I thrive on the comments and critique,, good as much as bad, because it highlights things I have or have not thought about and it does help me improve things. Sometimes I experiment (like with the lighting and skin/body of Angron) and sometimes I change things, sometimes I just roll on like I thought originally. But it is truly helpful.

Rock on!

Hmm well, when I originally pointed out that he didn't look "angry," I meant that he didn't have the look of battle lust upon him: the wild eyed, frenzied lunacy you would expect from Khorne's #1. Considering he doesn't actually seem to be in battle though, the face seems fittingly deranged and horrifying all the same. Angron doesn't have to be frothing at the mouth 24/7: that's what Khârn is for :lol:

That being said, I think it is the shadow of his brow which sort of creates that dazed look I was referring to. The dark shadows on already black eyes sort of drown out the top quarter of his eyes and lids. A bit lighter touch may fix that.

I'm eagerly awaiting the finished product ;)

Archived