Scouts

1Drop

Right so I like the idea of scouts and I think they are nice looking models but I'm wondering how effective they are in a BA army and whether snipers or the more cc variety are better!?

I guess the shotgun and bolt pistol armed scouts suite the more cc orientated nature of BA but the snipers seam more apealing to me just cos it's something different from anything else I have!

So what do you guys think about scouts, what are their uses in a BA army and are the snipers or shotgun variety better?

Any advice or stories of using scouts will be very much apreciated.

- 1GreenBloodDrop.

For my current DoA (Sanguine Hammer) setup, they fill the role of backfield objective holder. My backline consists of Dev Squads, with one sniper/ML Scout Squad. I usually attach a priest to them as well. They've performed well so far.

I've only used Scouts once (I rarely find time to play) and in that game I had a semi-close-combat/objective holder squad. 3 bolt pistols, 2 chainswords, 1 powersword, 1 shotgun and 1 heavy bolter. They took cover in a building. The heavy bolter gunned down 9 Kroot. The other 6 Kroot charged and due to the higher Initiative of the Scouts they were cut down before they were able to strike.

Conclusion: I like to use Scouts as a distraction to keep enemy squads occupied and to secure objectives. I vary equipment based on opponent/type of game.

PS: After defeating the Kroot the Sanguinary Guard had just finished killing 20 Fire Warriors and 2 Battle suits.. The only battle ever I haven't taken a single casualty..

Go look up GreatCrusade08 (i think) - hangs around in the Ultras forum and is one of the best people to talk to about scouts of any variety. He runs C:SM variety, but they're similar enough (apart from ours can get interesting things like a priest nearby to buff them even better)...

Go look up GreatCrusade08 (i think) - hangs around in the Ultras forum and is one of the best people to talk to about scouts of any variety. He runs C:SM variety, but they're similar enough (apart from ours can get interesting things like a priest nearby to buff them even better)...

GC08 is the man when it comes to 10th Co.

Basically, like Leo said, we lack the Land speeder storm for quick deployment and the Thunderfire for heavy support, but make up for it with SR and priests to keep our anti-tank alive.

Ive run a SR filled with shotgun scouts and theyve done really well clearing IG from ruins and bunkers, add a priest and there great.

As for one unit in a BA army, think about either anchoring a landing site for Landraiders or other deepstrikers or cheap threat units (stealthy deployment, snipers etc.)

Unless you want to use them because you think they look cool stay away from the sniper scouts. What they can do other units do better, a lot better. We don't have Telion and we don't have hellfire shells for the heavy bolter, two important factors that makes our scouts less attractive to use as back field objective sitters or fire support.

So what else is there that they can do? Short range harassing fire, early game assault, infiltrating locator beacon.

For short range harassing fire I don't think it matters a lot if you go with shotgun or bolter. I'm partial to bolter since that AP5 can be nice to have, you can stay out of assault range if you wish and you always have that bolt pistol as side arm for when you want to assault. Always take the missile launcher as your heavy weapon upgrade. At least then when you miss the blast template can scatter on something plus you always have the option to use a krak missile, just don't get your hopes up. I

BS3 is usually more of a handicap than WS3, so tooling your scout squad for close combat makes sort of sense. Maybe you want to lock a squad in combat before reinforcement arrives (remember that locator beacon), or perhaps that power fist you took on the sarge will force your opponent to move his armor away from it to a less protected location and miss a round of firing?

Bolters are obviously not the best choice for the squad in this role. A scout squad has a pretty low volume of attacks, BP&CCW will help with that. Shotguns on the other hand will give you that extra shot before combat (useful for a small squad) which might not have any AP but then again neither does CC attacks. You might still want to take that missile launcher, it's just one missed attack and it adds some flexibility to the squad.

The sergeant can benefit from a combi weapon since he's not going to get any extra attacks equipped with his fist. I would go with a flamer combi. A single melta shot is not likely to do anything and gets hot! wounds are scary. The flamer on the other hand will auto hit and ignore cover. Very useful in a crowded deployment zone and it will let a small unit take on a large one with much better odds.

Scouts can also outflank and attempt to do objective grabs. I've never found them very good at this though as they are a bit too weak to shift an opponent from anything resembling a fortified position.

So I guess the cc variety of scout are better suited to blood angels life afterall which was my initial thought.. Still don know if I'll use any in my army yet, I'd probably rather use up my last troop choice with SG saying as Dante will be leading.

So I guess the cc variety of scout are better suited to blood angels life afterall which was my initial thought.. Still don know if I'll use any in my army yet, I'd probably rather use up my last troop choice with SG saying as Dante will be leading.

Have you already used up 5 slots?

Archived