Move -> Embark -> Drive-by Shooting

BlitzKampf

After reviewing the Transport vehicle rules, I couldn't see a reason this would be impossible*:

1. Move squad up to six inches and into 2" transport access point range,
  2. Embark troops,
  3. Move transport up to six inches, and,
  4. Shoot assault weapon (e.g. melta) via fire point (specifically into a nearby tank).

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

*I've been out of the loop for awhile on 40K, so I could easily be missing something.

After reviewing the Transport vehicle rules, I couldn't see a reason this would be impossible*:

1. Move squad up to six inches and into 2" transport access point range,
  2. Embark troops,
  3. Move transport up to six inches, and,
  4. Shoot assault weapon (e.g. melta) via fire point (specifically into a nearby tank).

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

*I've been out of the loop for awhile on 40K, so I could easily be missing something.

I this this at a Doubles Tournament a year ago, it came to me on the spot. I was quite chuffed with it.

You can't do this. Pg 66 of the BRB under Embarking first bullet point. "If the vehicle moved before its passengers got aboard, it may not move any further(including pivoting on the spot). Couldn't be more clear than that.

You can't do this. Pg 66 of the BRB under Embarking first bullet point. "If the vehicle moved before its passengers got aboard, it may not move any further(including pivoting on the spot). Couldn't be more clear than that.

The question has the squad move, then embark, then the vehicle moves. The vehicle never moves before the squad embarks, so it is legal.

The question has the squad move, then embark, then the vehicle moves. The vehicle never moves before the squad embarks, so it is legal.

My guess is that Acebaur misread the proposal as vehicle moving 6", taking on passengers, then a further 6". That's how I initially read the idea myself.

My guess is that Acebaur misread the proposal as vehicle moving 6", taking on passengers, then a further 6". That's how I initially read the idea myself.

The OP does clearly state "move squad up to six inches".

Huh since when can infantry move a total distance of 12" and shoot?

They can't, and he's not saying they can. He's moving them 6", then the 2" bump into the transport, then the transport moves and he shoots from it.

Shooting from a transport only means that the passengers count as if they themselves had moved for shooting purposes (so no heavy weapons for example), it does not limit the transport to only moving at the speed the passengers would walk in order to allow them to shoot. It would be a pretty pointless thing to take a transport with fire points otherwise.

Huh since when can infantry move a total distance of 12" and shoot?
Shooting from a transport only means that the passengers count as if they themselves had moved for shooting purposes (so no heavy weapons for example), it does not limit the transport to only moving at the speed the passengers would walk in order to allow them to shoot. It would be a pretty pointless thing to take a transport with fire points otherwise.

Well, technically it does. If a vehicle moves at cruising speed, you can't fire. So this is a trick you can only pull off when you're already outside the transport, but it's still a pretty nifty trick.

Archived