Grey Knight Dreadknight

Alright, I managed to score a free Dreadknight model(shadiest dude ever got one for me), and started working on it.

I can't stand the exposed legs, so I plasticarded it up and added under-soles to it to fill in the gap at the bottom. Pictures do not do this justice at all.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0894.jpg

For the front, I couldn't stand the pilot being so exposed, or not even having a targeting screen/blastshield; so I made one myself. The picture blurs it all together with the flash, but it is in fact a two piece layer of plasticard(will be painted glossy black) with plasticard rods around the edges and a bar over the middle(to divide the glass) to create a canopy. This will be painted black to be reflective glass, while the rods will be painted in steel.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0895.jpg

The legs of the Dreadknight pilot had to be cropped and realigned since the regular style just has him standing there with a "Durr" pose. Same can be said about the arms and legs of the Dreadknight itself, as I had to bend and pull at pieces or fill gaps with greenstuff. Hopefully he now looks ab it more dynamic. Even if just a little.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0896.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0897.jpg

Oh, and before I forget, I'm filing down and blurring the words on the model itself, to bring it in line with the older models with barely decipherable text, and not this "MORTIS, TITAN, AEGIS, GLORY" garbage that has become so popular with the Grey Knight lineup of models. :D

Also, didn't add the "Titan" codpiece/diaper. Thank God. :D

Anything else I should work on or change?

-Matt ;)

Really well done man; some really awesome and sensible modifications, especially the plates on the legs. However, the opaque blast shield/targeting screen seems like it's just kinda *there*, obscuring his head while most of his body is still open. Why not see if you could use the transparent plastic cockpit-shield from an Eldar vehicle or even from the Sisters of Battle Rhino instead of a blank, flat piece of plasticard? It still won't cover him completely, but in my opinion it might look better.

Really well done man; some really awesome and sensible modifications, especially the plates on the legs. However, the opaque blast shield/targeting screen seems like it's just kinda *there*, obscuring his head while most of his body is still open. Why not see if you could use the transparent plastic cockpit-shield from an Eldar vehicle or even from the Sisters of Battle Rhino instead of a blank, flat piece of plasticard? It still won't cover him completely, but in my opinion it might look better.

Thanks man. And I totally feel you on how the screen is set up. Even when it will be painted up, it will still be a bit "open". But with the pilot wearing Terminator armor, how open can you be? Hah. Anyways, I'll definitely fiddle around with it some more before I call it finished.

i really like what you have done here =] as you have stated some sensible conversions. I love the dread knight as a model but the pilot just being all exposed doesn't exactly make it look like it can crush demons :/ however with what you have done then it certainly does

Cant wait to see it painted

Jim

I'm liking the pose very much, but your modifications to the model's look don't do it for me. That's not just because I like the Dreadknight as it is (honestly, what's with all this new model hate? ;)), but mostly because the way you did them clashes with the rest of the model's aesthetics. Apart from the Titan-style banner, wich just needs a new suspension and a nice flutter, to match the pose's dynamics. To be more precise, lets talk about the canopy (He could be wearing a Terminator helmet! What more targetting array/blastshield do you need? It's not called Tactical Dreadnought Armour for nothing....). It's basically a flat pannel of glass. There is nothing in the originall model that matches that. It's all curved. I think you could get away with mounting a Dreadnought-Sarcophagus up there, because it has rivets, and hoses and cables and all sorts of astarty details. A flat pannel of glass doesn't. Now then those things you put over his feet. I'm really trying to be nice here (honestly, I'm a nice person, I'm smiling :), and I'm not typing this with any spite. I'm trying to help by giving my asked-for honest opinion to a fellow hobbyist. Yeah, this next one's going to read really mean, sorry....), but this looks like some Ork Mobsters tried to fit him with concrete shoes. His feet are sticking in buckets of obviously orky design. Sorry. Right, on to the constructive part of "constructive criticism, shall we? If you must cover his head (think about it, Tactical Dreadnought Armour), I'd advise you to try and replicate the upper half of a Dreadnought's sarcophagus. A box, with rivets and hoses and a viewing slit in it. Something that says "Astartes!" to me rather than "sunscreen". For the legs, you seem to feel very strongly about his feet. I get that, too, sometimes, hating details with all my heart, so I'm not going to try to convince you. But the buckets are no solution. Best thing I know to tell you is try to merge them more into the legs, and most of all, make them round.

Did I mention I like the pose? :)

Archived