More Eldar movement rules

Seahawk

Since my good friend decided to make a Harlequin army ;) , we now have a question that seems obvious but maybe isn't.

The flip belt reads "They ignore Difficult Terrain."

This seems easy, they don't roll for Difficult Terrain whenever they move.

However, is Dangerous Terrain seperate/distinct from Difficult Terrain? For instance, would the Harlequins suffer Dangerous Terrain even though they ignore Difficult Terrain? They are under different headings, after all.

Precedents: You don't take Difficult Terrain tests when moving through Dangerous Terrain, and vehicle wrecks are specifically stated as "Difficult and Dangerous Terrain." They wouldn't need the distinction if Dangerous was a subset of Difficult, as then you could simply say it's Dangerous.

They don't roll the dice for distance for going through difficult terrain (which means they will never strike last in cc assaulting into it. No roll, no I drop).

This doesn't stop them needing to roll the d6 per for Dangerous terrain. They get their invul saves against it though (can't take armour saves against DT wounds).

I agree that they should be separate. Unfortunately the BRB only lists three terrain types: clear, difficult, and impassable with a note that difficult terrain is also sometimes dangerous. According to this then, terrain must be difficult in order to be dangerous. This would seem to indicate that if terrain is no longer difficult then it is no longer dangerous. I don't agree with it (just cause it's easy doesn't make it safe) but that seems to be what the rules are saying.

Well, there are some terrain types that are Dangerous, but not Difficult. This could be custom terrain, or simply how some things interact. Bikes, for instance, never take Difficult Terrain tests, instead treating that terrain as Dangerous. Another reason Dangerous Terrain cannot be a subset of just Difficult Terrain is that Impassable Terrain can also be Dangerous. Jump Infantry can land on top of Impassable Terrain, treating it as Dangerous.

(which means they will never strike last in cc assaulting into it. No roll, no I drop).
Reread that. Your Initiative gets dropped if you take Difficult or Dangerous Terrain tests when charging (pg 36, 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence). As a side note, that's what makes my Venomthropes so delicious.

According to this then, terrain must be difficult in order to be dangerous. This would seem to indicate that if terrain is no longer difficult then it is no longer dangerous.

But do Harlequins make terrain no longer difficult, or do they ignore difficult terrain? I would guess the latter, in which case I'd say RAW says the terrain is still difficult, and therefore if it was dangerous as well, it remains dangerous even though the Harlequins are not bothered by its difficultness.

(which means they will never strike last in cc assaulting into it. No roll, no I drop).
Reread that. Your Initiative gets dropped if you take Difficult or Dangerous Terrain tests when charging (pg 36, 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence). As a side note, that's what makes my Venomthropes so delicious.

I had never noticed the Dangerous Terrain part when charging...

Check page 88 (which is still under the Rules Section), the part about defining terrain:

Which terrain pieces are area terrain, difficult terrain or dangerous terrain (or a combination)?

But do Harlequins make terrain no longer difficult, or do they ignore difficult terrain?
Said it in the first post :D. "They ignore Difficult Terrain."

And yep (@ bystrom). Each seems to be distinct as far as I can find, but combinations are possible.

Archived