Primer and the paint

Autobot Tran

hey guys im painting my first blood angels army! woot im doing flesh tearers.

Im using chaos black for the primer and i like it, im just keeping that for my black parts and not painting over it and im using mechrite red for the parts that i want red. The problem is that my tanks look very flat theres no depth to them or anything or gloss, i was highlighting with blood red but its not making much of a difference. I think they look cool just i wanna to add something to them to make it pop.

I like the color scheme but should i do like a grey primer and paint it chaos black? will that help? I felt like the other reds were brighter than i wanted so i wanted to use mechrite red even though its a foundation color... is there a different color anyone can suggest thats a darker red? and how can i make the black not look so flat?

ill post some pictures when i figure out how

Black primer is not proper paint. You should always paint over it with watered down chaos black.

Doing Flesh Tearers, your base colour for red should be Red Gore. Try that and then highlight it with mixed in Blood Red and you should see more depth.

In the latest WD Mag they use mechrite red on the troops, then give it a few coats of thin red gore to darken the tone. highlight with bleached bone, then wash it all with baal red, and I have to say it looks pretty good for such a simple sounding method.

sweet thanks for the replies. the red is coming out decently, im gonna try going over it with a few of the colors you guys suggested. I just want to keep the red a dark shade.

Should i not use Chaos Black as primer? or can i still use it and just go over it with chaos black paint again? hahah i already primed all of my tanks except one and dont really wanna buy primer for one tank lol. but i want to fix up the ones i already primed

Black primer is not proper paint. You should always paint over it with watered down chaos black.

Doing Flesh Tearers, your base colour for red should be Red Gore. Try that and then highlight it with mixed in Blood Red and you should see more depth.

But the chaos black primer is proper black yes? Just I use this and when doing my DC I've just made sure it's coated properly and then went on to paint the rest of the model, do you think I should have added more layers of chaos black?

I don't think it was needed though, it looks good!

I used Mechrite Red for my Flesh Tearers - if you want that nice, deep burgundy red, wash it with purple (Leviathan Purple? Whatever the GW Wash is called). It came out really nice. After I prime my models with black primer, I usually wash them down with Chaos Black as well, to get the spots I missed as well as even out the color.

But the chaos black primer is proper black yes? Just I use this and when doing my DC I've just made sure it's coated properly and then went on to paint the rest of the model, do you think I should have added more layers of chaos black?

I don't think it was needed though, it looks good!

GW Black Primer has a Matte finish. GW Acrylic paints have a satin finish. You should never leave primer showing through on a model. It's bad. Looks completely different to everything else you have painted on.

Although it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into your models.

Ok, I'll do a coat of watered down chaos black or two then.. I was unaware that the undercoat wasn't the same as the stuff in the pot, in the past I had never used spray undercoat!

EDIT: actually I just remembered that I coated my DC with a watered down layer of chaos black after undercoating to make sure they were covered fully so no need to do it again but I'm glad you have brought this to my attention as I won't be leaving the black undercoat bare in future!

Archived