Bullys Count As Deathwing - Updated!

bulley

So a few weeks a go I decided to get a fully painted 1500 army together, as basically I was sick and tired of staring at my grey boxes of razorbacks, kept telling myself I'd paint them, but really I was never going to lol. I had a tourney to attend that needed a fully painted force, so I had to decide, could I paint 5 full tanks, and finish 4 others, then paint another 21+ marines to a decent standard, or would it be worth me doing my "pet" project - the deathwing, which would be a total of 29 models - and thats it.

Much deliberation, and as the title suggests, I opted for the terminator force. I'd "proxyed" already the force and knew what I wanted.

x1 Belial w/ LC's

x4 Squads - TH/SSx4 - one with a CML - then 1 with alternate weaponary (SB/CF for big tankage + wound allocation)

x2 Squads of bikes - 3 bikers each with MG, sarge with MB and the attack bike with MM.

I wanted to attack this the right way, so I planned a theme, knowing I'd be doing Grey Knights again soon (collected the models since the Rogue Trader days, between RT and 3rd Ed models have an already sizable force!), so I thought, why not make them an extension of the force? Since I don't actually paint my GK's grey/metal, I figured that Deathwing was perfectly fine, no one really knows who the GK's are, so if you saw a big ass force of terminators you'd probably assume they are the famous Dw - and plus up till recently GK's used TH/SS!!

So I am sure you can see where this is going.

Anyway - the 1500 point force is finished, the tournament played, but I wanted to get around to putting this up, as I will be adding to it now to get to 1750 / 2000

Stage One:

Making the terminators.

I had decided that I'd magnetise everything - CML's at this stage were already magnetised, was waiting on some more magnets to do the arms of all 20 terminators (annoyingly only had enough for the first 14). I also did go back and file down / clean up the models a bit. Time was against me so everything was done in a bit of a rush unfortunately.

gallery_56497_5996_1557509.jpg

I also did a rush job for the apocatharies arm, promising myself I'd redo it before the tournament - I never did, but it looked decent enough as a placeholder till the paladin models came out.

gallery_56497_5996_984338.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_830338.jpg

The sanginary guard wing for a shield was just a mess around, but I actually loved it so do go on to use this later for the entire squad.

This was stage one / first couple of days.

Stage Two:

I wanted to get started on Belial pretty quick as I planned to actually spend time painting this puppy, in the end I only got a few hours on him, but I was pleased with the ensuing results. I opted for Brother Captain Stern as the base for the model, he was rather fitting, though I didn't notice until quite late how much smaller he was, which is something I had to rectify some what.

Here's the basic conversions:

gallery_56497_5996_553523.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_764080.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_2438645.jpg

Nothing amazingly out of this world. The LC on the right arm was pretty easy to do, the left arm was just ensuring that the pin was amazingly secure due to the rigors of play. I did actually have to replace the right LC due to some ****wit breaking it after Belial had died and he was looking at him (he was midway painted). Fortunately I'd done it decently enough that it didn't damage any paint work

Stage Three:

I really wanted to get the arms and models up and running, I was still pretty much in week one at this stage, here is some shots of the magnetising and creating some shields.

For the command squad I had one "righty" shield on the apoc, as you saw above, then 2 using a sarges power sword arm (seen here) then two using normal SS arms - which gave some very different posing as you will see later as the models become complete.

gallery_56497_5996_967443.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_436708.jpg

I can tell you one thing, magnetising all 20 terminators was fantastic, and realising my list was 5 points over the night before I submitted it allowed me to simply paint 2 new arms and pop them on - and after the success of said arms, I am adding more to the force!

Apologies for zero painting in these first few posts. Will be back in a few min's to add on the early Ravenwing work and add in some painting. Photobucket is also down so I can't add later pictures.

Cheers for the tip - thats all working.

Now as I promised - here is the first bit of paint. At this stage I'd already pumped out a couple of test models (one bike and one GK terminator), but I approached this one squad at a time.

Just the primed squad, all magnet'd up! The CML has a base coat as again I was just testing some colours/mixes and making sure I had it down. I got to the stage pretty quick where I could mix my base coat by eye and not actually measure it (probably not the best practice), but yeah - everything in the army is a mix - nothing starts off as a standard coat :/

gallery_56497_5996_952573.jpg

So here is the base coat - the faces have been highlighted up though, as I just wanted to test something on the face (basically make sure that the slice and dice on them didnt look like utter trash when painted, I'd super glued the heads so I could rip them out if needed - decided they looked decent enough and ploughed on).

gallery_56497_5996_803913.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try and plough on and get the majority of the work up - over the weekend I'll finish it.

I am going to do some more work on all the models anyway - I am going to add battle damage/weathering to everything, as it should help cover the bits that actually are speed painting (I.E pretty much everything). I am also re-doing most of the storm shield and thunder hammer arms as they were raged out in a single night and I am quite unhappy with the end product :/

Cheers fella's - I have the entire 1500 point army finished (had it finished 2 weeks ago) so its a case of getting the photo's up, so more to come!

I have some conversions on the bikes as well which I am yet to show.

I am also using this paint scheme for both my Grey Knights and "Blood Angels" - the BA part is what I am working on now while I convert up my final terminator squad - so I'll bosh those photo's up soon as well.

Cheers!

Rock on with the sang guard shields! Tip: you can make the arm to fit them in a few different ways. The sarge from a shooty term squad - cut the sword off and simply green stuff it on, and then add a "strap" over the hand - its very easy to do and looks right.

Other way, which I also did, is to simply get a normal shield, snip the shield off until you have the hand left, then saw off the excess so its basically the hand joint for the storm shield hand to the arm, and nothing else, glue the wing on, and then the normal shield arm to the shield hand and away you go!

Some bike updates:

This is stage one (well two) I've based coated and added the first layer to the bikes:

gallery_56497_5996_66498.jpg

Not quite the final stage here, but begin to add some line's / definition to the bikes. By this stage I'll have added 2 or 3 layers before I hit the "lining".

gallery_56497_5996_851529.jpg

As you see later, I go back and pick out more edges.

If I wasnt so against time I'd do a cleaner blend and a proper line highlight, rather than a sort of blended area around the edges/lines. It still is quite effective and looks pleasant to the eyes.

I also wanted something quite unique for the riders, since all the DW models were semi converted. I decided that at the very least the sarges would be, and in a druken state I went about butchering a Grey Knight dude, and for some reason I went with it.

Here's the photo the following morning of my drunken work!

gallery_56497_5996_15937.jpg

I was so pleased with the results I made another, but I was in a conundrum. A chainsword just wouldnt look right on them, and I needed it to be WYSIWYG, plus the storm bolter was just wrong. I just simply cut off a single barrel from the storm bolter (hey presto, PISTOL!) and for the chainsword ....

gallery_56497_5996_1392274.jpg

Nemsis Force Chainsword? HELL FREAKING YEAH!! I almost feel like I should be Strength 6 with this weapon lol.

The conversion is quite simple, but you need to be very official with it, no short cuts. Cut off the chainsword part of a CC weap from a marine, and cut off the blade from a NFW from any GK, though do "test" to make sure it will fit correctly on the bike, they are long after all. File both down so they are flat and straight, keep checking to make sure that they line up correctly - you need as much contact with each surface for the glue / GS to take. But not before you pin it. This is fiddly, but very essential. I actually used a very long pin (about 1CM, half in each) so that joint is incredibly strong. Then I add some GS and super glue to it, the GS is more to hide the inevitable gaps that will appear (no matter how much you try!). Viola! Done!.

Self Edit:

nearly forgot - here is both sarges - these were converted while I was painting the above bikes but before I started on the 2nd set of bikes!

gallery_56497_5996_861992.jpg

Oh and that 60mm base was my "first attempt at painting marble lol. I've gotten MUCH better at it, as you will see later ;D

Here's the bikes "half" done. For some reason I didnt bother doing the engines at this stage which was a bit silly, but they didn't take long in the end.

gallery_56497_5996_2402934.jpg

Oh and a bit of my finger. Yes the iphone camera is pretty decent, but I always forget where the camera is placed lol.

I wanted to give it a look of it turbo boosting hense the blue glow on it. Again if I was going full out with more time I'd add a glow reflection to the bike itself (I might still do)

Here's a close up of a single bike:

gallery_56497_5996_1465890.jpg

And there we have it for now.

I have my post over at sons of sang (see below) on weds that will have the actual fully finished army (well the Deathwing, Bikes and Bases, Belial and Objective markers come later on the Sunday) so if you want to see more have a ganders at that shoot across. I will also have some of my other work going up there soon as well, including my new storm raven / furioso and land raider!

So again a little bit more - and again with the bikes!

This is them pretty much midway through WIP.

This is the bikes before I did the last bits of details (metal/seats/tires) - you can see a bit of the "glow" effect I did on the engines though the legs actually end up blocking them from LOS mostly lol.

gallery_56497_5996_1596108.jpg

This is the sarge mid way through, after I added highlights but before I added over all details (squad markings, finished scrolls etc...

gallery_56497_5996_977845.jpg

Here's the attack bike - before I glued it all together!

gallery_56497_5996_1300664.jpg

Finally one of the four melta dudes -

gallery_56497_5996_1103197.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back from holiday so going to add up the rest of the photo's of my 1500 army over the next couple of days.

Will post the first few images in a sec!

Unit One: gallery_56497_5996_921456.jpg

Oh the reason why these arent in "hoh" is that I will go back and do more work - eyes + some battle damage / marbling to the armour, plus I will either detail or completely redo a lot of the arms (especially squads 2 to 4).

You may notice all units have different squad markings - when I add my new unit it will be "halves = unit 2, thirds = unit 3, quarters = unit 4 and diagonals = unit 5"

Unit Two:

gallery_56497_5996_1186058.jpg

Unit Three:

gallery_56497_5996_581115.jpg

Unit Four:

gallery_56497_5996_858755.jpg

The sanginary guard wing for a shield was just a mess around, but I actually loved it so do go on to use this later for the entire squad.

Awesome idea. So simple but so perfect. Consider it stolen B)

Awesome idea. So simple but so perfect. Consider it stolen :)

Couldn't agree more, idea has been stolen.

Love the shields!!, Love your choice of color, looks very good!!!

Keep it up!!

Cheers fella's -

Just realised that I will have to do the entire force's shields - except for the command squad, again as my "new" squad will in fact be the new command squad (proper apoc, proper banner, will be "converting" the entire squad as well) meaning that the single sang wing shield squad will be out of place (as I will use sang wings again on the new command squad). Also I think the blue is very striking against the models, but it doesnt work on the regular shields (I tried it).

Anyway, more WIP stuff,

tbh the bikers are pretty much done, they need a bit of tidying up, I might add in some washes/shadows/re-highlight in area's but I am relatively happy with how they came out considering I did all but the bikes in a single day.

Squad One:

gallery_56497_5996_1602826.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_1148683.jpg

Squad Two;

gallery_56497_5996_276301.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_730723.jpg

The "whites" I want to go back and re-highlight for sure, I didn't have the best lighting on this stage and tbh was so pushed for time.

I think ultimately I will completely re-do the bikes, while I love the sarges and the lone melta guy (the one that looks like he is firing) the rest were not as posed as I wanted.

So onto the fun bit, about the only model I actually spent any time painting. He oddly enough still has some work left on him, but just finer details and maybe some freehand if I feel confident enough (always the way, you intend to do it, then dont want to risk harming the final product!)

I'll go through most/all the stages here as I have a good few pictures of the dude.

gallery_56497_5996_1232212.jpg

I base coated him "normally" though adding a bit more hawk T to my usual mix - as I wanted him to be a bit brighter than the rest of the force. Also I went with the cloak to start as I wanted to "set the tone" for the rest of the model, and I doubt I'd have used this colour if I did the cloak after doing the armour.

gallery_56497_5996_891501.jpg

From the rear.

Now for the armour. I "properly" blended/highlighted this, rather than doing the speedy 3 / 4 layers I used a couple more (and went a bit more consistent / higher on the final highlight)

gallery_56497_5996_276737.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_98540.jpg

Lets add some details to the chap now. I do go back and touch up some of the armour later, but that was just when I saw how the model was coming together.

gallery_56497_5996_1379788.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_69100.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_998474.jpg

At this stage I was pretty pleased with how it was coming together. I did have to repaint the book a couple of times as the first goes didn't sit right with me.

I used a mix of metalics and non-metallics for the model, the crossius (pendant thing on his groin) was NMM where as, to keep in fitting with the rest of the army I did use a lot of metallics - something I don't normally do. It just looked "right" compared to NMM on the initial test models, so I stuck with it.

Archived