Bullys Count As Deathwing - Updated!

bulley

Will add up the final stage Photo's before I went to the tourney tonight.

Also will start on the details this weekend such as eyes and some of the lights on the terminators as well as some battle damage and touch ups to the high lights.

Also to come:

First stages of my "dynamic posed" terminators

Dread "conversion" (just reposed a bit)

Some mech including:

Rhino chasis's

Land raider test models

Storm raven

Dreads

Vindicator.

Updates coming today tomorrow. Hopefully some "live" updates of newer/current painting bits as well before it goes up on the blog (see below)

As promised - but a bit late - here is some of the stuff again making this really a WIP lol.

First off some of the new terminator "improvements". I am currently slowly building a 5th squad - and then will build a 6th as well - neither of which will be magnetised - the aim will be for the 5th to act as a current "command squad" and then the 6th to really be it (in the interest of ever improving my hobby skills). Neither of these squads will be a rush job as well (I.E I wont spend 1 day painting the entire squad).

Here we go any way -

Glowing Eye Detail added to terminators (this is the first squad, 2nd squad already is marked improvement - though my test models were much better, which was frustrating

gallery_56497_5996_702284.jpg)

Second up is the first stage of posing the terminators - as my school motto was "begin with the little things" (in latin lol), I am starting out quite basic. The "normal" lets just have been sliced and slightly repositioned, using a bit of green stuff to fill in the gaps. The "GK" legs have simply had the floating toes cut, filled, and repositioned so they are pointing downwards (ish).

Bases will be like my other bases - except the metal will be rusty metal opposed to that lamenteresque scheme.

gallery_56497_5996_874045.jpg

This is what I really want peoples advice on, so please chip in

Now both of these are test models - 100% - the SR came out quite well so I'll actually probably use it in game - the rhinos (not pictured) were fine, but I wont use them once I've done all my other chasis's properly. The vindicator came out quite well considering it was my first bash at that style of marble/stone (i.e different to the SR and other rhino chasis's I'd been doing).

Anyway the advice / thoughts is really on what to use. I really like both scheme's and cant quite decide which to use, my thoughts are some what of a compromise - Transports in the SR scheme, heavy's in the vindicator scheme. Though with that said I think a LR will look better in the vindicator style, and a predator in the SR style lol. So I am in a bit of a dilemma - maybe use them for company designation. I am really not bothered about replacing models to make it all work lol.

Anyway - here's the models

gallery_56497_5996_639539.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_288926.jpg

Cheers nath - one of my gaming buddies has said that.

I like the effect - but not on that - its the sense I am getting. In reality it was my version (using my base scheme essentially - but a bit darker) of that marbling used on the tomb kings big ass dude they just realised. I am going to use this shade (from the vindicator) on my Sanginor model - and maybe my command squad - I am not entirely sure - it might be sort of my "Honor Guard / HQ" motif. As for the tanks I am pretty sure I am just going to stick with the raven styled marbling.

Yeah, the vindicator has more of a psychedelic camo vibe which in itself looks pretty cool. The stippling of the pale green on the raven looks much better for marble, though I would suggest try to stipple the white streaks on as well, keeping them loosely parallel

The vindy was done in 40 mins while I watched tv lol it was just purely a case of seeing the new White dwarf and trying their marble on a tank I never use lol.

The SR does have the veins - and again was a bit of a test but was nicer than my rhino tests hense the post.

I plan on doing a new one this weekend and touching up this one but I don't want to over do it on that.

Really I need to get to work on 3 preds properly (no more testing) and 3 dreads (well 2 - I am happy with one of the tests).

More on that soon :D

• 2 weeks later...

Latest WIP - Ezekiel!

gallery_56497_5996_1089640.jpg

gallery_56497_5996_1132211.jpg

Actually have ordered a new model - this one has been sat in my bits box for about a decade (love the model) so it had some damage and what not on it - but wanted to get a test coat on and see what that robe looks like painted that way (matches my Belial cloak obviously).

Just love the model so might strip this one and paint it up either more traditionally or paint him as the force / power weap toting Inqusitor for my Grey Knights.

That is probably the best Green I have seen on a mini, top rate. ^_^

I am really liking the conversion work and the bold bold BOLD highlighting. Very nice.

Have to say Ditto on the Vindi, although the Raven is awesome.

Looking forward to more.

CTK

Wow - thanks CTK - I absolutely love your blood angels btw dude - I've been following that for some time!

I knocked up the next (and, sadly - last) bit of the Deathwing - this is to complete the 1750 point army.

I have a lot of bits in the bottom of my cuboard (more bikes, some speeders) so I may revisit them later this year - but I'll be starting a new project log with my Grey Knights - that will be very similar (the mech will be the marble from above - and the models will be the same green as these terminators!).

But the new squad - a new command squad even - has been converted/modelled/kit bashed - only the CML is magnetised as I wanted some more posing on the models. I shall comense painting tonight - I have 2 weeks to get them done (plus touch ups on the rest of the army) so I plan to spend a good bit of time on them - about 20 hours on the whole squad (opposed to the 4 or 5 on the older squads). These shall be the focal point of the entire force.

Here's the group shot!

gallery_56497_5996_858183.jpg

I may make a 6th - a LC - mid week as an alternate that I can paint up at the last minute.

So in 2 weeks I need to:

- Paint the command squad

- Make 3x Magnetised sets of LC's (10 minute job)

- Paint 4x Pairs of LC's (1x only needs a touch up)

- Touch up all arms (urgh - a bit of a task)

- If time make some new Storm Shields (potentially all sang wings if I can get my hands on some)

So over the weekend (and a bit of yesterday and today) I got some painting done.

Obviously started off with priming:

gallery_56497_5996_606463.jpg

I started on the TH/SS dude below first - but I'll show you the armour at its "pre-final highlight" - I always do this - get to one stage and then realise I actually want to go one higher lol.

index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=67853

I spent a bit of time on the banner - I am going to re-do the scroll across teh top as I am not entirely happy with it, most of the time on it is more because its quite ... fiddly ... for lack of a better description lol.

He now looks a bit more like this;

gallery_56497_5996_174420.jpg

This gives a good shot of his armour / shield - post "extra highlight" - or the forgotten level. I think I've re-shaded a bit since the first shot as well.

gallery_56497_5996_1182206.jpg

Here's a look at his banner a bit closer - a little bit more work I think has been done - but again I do want to go back and do that top scroll - I will start from Deneb rather than Catachan.

Here's the TH/SS Dude - he's at the same stage of "completion" as the Banner dude.

gallery_56497_5996_522503.jpg

Again after shading and final highlight I was much happier than I was - its always bugging when you look at a model and you can't quite figure out why it doesnt look *right* - I had to go to my case and get out my Belial (who I used a bit of a different technique for distinction - but it made me realise anyway).

As a fun aside I just wanted to see how quick I could knock out a "ghost squad" of marines - as DW will be retired in 2 weeks (yes I am painting a command squad to only use a handful of times lol - but I mean retired from competitive play, I'll use them for fun quite a bit still) - I have my Grey Knights starting - which I am going to spend quite a bit of time on (and learn how to airbrush) - but I want to get my mech BA done as well as an "option". So yeah - to get this squad with 3/4 layers was 30 minutes including paint drying between "layers". Now dont get me wrong, this is not my "table top" - but it is more like "3rd Reserve Army - ton of models that if I dont paint quick will NEVER get painted" standard - and means that all I need to do is turrets and about 18 more models and I have my Mech BA done - and I might even take them to a tourney in 1 month!

gallery_56497_5996_1572599.jpg

This is incredibly easy technique - and I'd recommend it to anyone that struggles painting - as with some washes and a bit of a "lighter hand" you'd have a more than reasonable table top army that anyone would enjoy seeing I think.

Course - tutorial is real simple matey.

- Prime the model black (or at least I do - white might be ok for a brighter shade)

- Base coat ORKHIDE SHADE foundation paint (I mix in a good bit of water to thin it out)

- 2nd coat - 2 Orkhide 1 White - Drybrush (this is quite a "heavy" coat of dry brush - I take a lot of the paint off, but give it a good hammering)

- 3rd coat - 1 orkhide 1 white - Drybrush (this is a bit lighter now - and I look to dry brush "raised / exposed" area's - so the tops of legs / helmets / back packs - bits that get hit by light

- 4th coat - add a bit more white - dry brush quite lightly bits that get hit directly by light (top of back pack, top of helmet - top of shoulder pads - those "top parts" of the legs, top part of arms)

I might do a picture tutorial when I do the next squad (might as well paint all 4 now - since its literally 2 hours work lol!)

Yeah LoTD would be perfect for it - I'd go another stage with the dry brush - maybe skipping the first level and going straight for the 1:1 mix and then beyond - to get a much whiter / ghosty apperance. I've just tried blue glowing eye's and it doesnt quite work for me (I do think I used the wrong blues though - regal - enchanted - ice. Ultramarine would probably have been better with white added). But red eyes (and maybe weapons) would look wicked.

For me I think they work quite well in my head for "fluff"

They look sort of stoney / ghosty - my objective markers are ghosts - and all my mech is sort of antique marble. I love the idea of the marines being fallen comrades that take up arms in a last ditch defence / attack to help their brothers.

As per usual - I do a paint job and then try and justify it with the fluff lol. But astetically speaking - the marines look good next to my mech - which is handy. Also means I can absolutely rage out my DoA army that I've wanted to do for like a year now in minutes ;D

Yeah LoTD would be perfect for it - I'd go another stage with the dry brush - maybe skipping the first level and going straight for the 1:1 mix and then beyond - to get a much whiter / ghosty apperance. I've just tried blue glowing eye's and it doesnt quite work for me (I do think I used the wrong blues though - regal - enchanted - ice. Ultramarine would probably have been better with white added). But red eyes (and maybe weapons) would look wicked.

I can never get glowing eyes to look right, it's kinda annoying, yours look cool though.

For me I think they work quite well in my head for "fluff"

They look sort of stoney / ghosty - my objective markers are ghosts - and all my mech is sort of antique marble. I love the idea of the marines being fallen comrades that take up arms in a last ditch defence / attack to help their brothers.

If you're going for the Returned from the dead brothers fighting with the living look, then maybe 'firey' (Sp?) eyes would look cool, no idea how you'd them though :P Is this marble the same as the vehicles above?

As per usual - I do a paint job and then try and justify it with the fluff lol. But astetically speaking - the marines look good next to my mech - which is handy. Also means I can absolutely rage out my DoA army that I've wanted to do for like a year now in minutes ;D

:D I know what you mean.

Yeah marble is the same as above - whats cool (again realising POST painting) that because its stone its quite easy to paint various paint other schemes - as long as they have similar tones - and just use the same mech lol (as long as its not like bright red and the green marble lol).

Red glowing eyes is tricky (for me) because it depends on what you want as the glow - for firey though I did rock with red gore --> "blood red" (I using blazing orange + red gore) ---> blazing orange highlight ---> small dot of yellow (sunburst is good, though not great pigmentation to get a "dot" with a single application). Looks ok - the blazing orange acts as the "OSL" glow and the yellow as the actual source.

Next test unit I'll do them with that I think - I'll prob pump out 1 or 2 units this weekend (I need 4 or 5 total marines and 1 set of honor guard to have my "complete" BA mech available to me - done like this its like 3 hours work lol)

• 2 weeks later...

So had my second tourney with these boys - notable improvement (I feel I play a bit better with them at 1750 anyway) - managed to take 4th.

Game #1 - vs Blood Angels with Meph and a Sang Guard unit (and a ton of regular marines) tabled him, taking both objectives, and making Mephiston run off the table lol.

Game #2 - vs Dark Eldar (and my Blog mate) on table #1 - kill points - I was winning very early after making 3 of his units run (including his big Baron/hellion blob) but he had a great T5 to claw it back from 6-3 to 6-6 - failure by my terminators to kill 7 wychs in a few rounds of combat cost me. It all came down to 8-8 on T7, I had pen'd a venom and beat its flicker field - 4+ and I win (due to open topped) - arsing 3 isnt it. He also blocked 1 key flicker field the turn before. He was 0.05" away on a charge in his T7 with his baron blob - which I am not sure, but might have lost me the win. I am pretty sure I could have done enough damage to make them run again (if they ran) - but I needed to kill 4 to drop them below half for the half VP's which may have put me into 3rd.

Game #3 - played vs a draigo wing, T1 I played it so wrong it was untrue - T2 onwards I played well and managed to eek out a win, contesting 1 of his 2 objectives (he had 9 guys holding 2 objectives, I had 2 guys holding 2 lol) since he only had 1 unit and I had the last say in T5 T6 and T7 he could never target enough to win. I also made Draigo run off the board!

But more to the point, I won best painted Special Character:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s_uu_ntSQeI/TeyRK7PaEDI/AAAAAAAABIk/Z-hEDlZc8XM/s1600/P1030059.JPG

Whole even run by these fella's over at this blog

http://fromthefang.blogspot.com/

Great event.

So - here's another update - the squad is about 95% finished - there are some last bits of details I want to add in to the squad. And with the decent showing yesterday I plan to take them to another tourney next month opposed to the Grey Knights - which means some more work to be done - including getting around to re-doing all the shields and neatening up the arms - I will try and push for best painted (despite the fact that they've seen my army before). I may re-base some of the "more dull" bases - I get good feed back about the more river style lava opposed to the pools (which was me being lazy) so I might do that as well.

Regular Dude One:

gallery_56497_5996_1248973.jpg

This is just my first "average joe" - typically bites the dust first, but actually quite pleased with him. I did all 5 separately rather than production line to see if I garnered better results (I did, but that might be both experience with this paint scheme and paying more attention - more time/less painting). Also much happier with the mix on these guys (I have changed up my ratio a bit).

Regular Dude Two:

gallery_56497_5996_633526.jpg

The sort of acting sarge of the group, slightly reposed with his toes cut to be pointing down, given Grey Knight legs as well.

The Apothecary

gallery_56497_5996_572976.jpg

Pleased with this dude - the white helmet was good touch, though I want to touch it up and clean it up a bit.

The CML

gallery_56497_5996_1146329.jpg

Went for the same marbling as I have done on my mech on the CML. Very pleased with the green stuffed base which is the first time I've ever tried to green stuff a base like this. This is the sort of thing I might add to the "sarges" of the other squads or something.

The Banner Bearer:

gallery_56497_5996_1534790.jpg

This guy had the most work, the modelling as shown above, but then the banner required quite a bit of attention. I need to do a good bit to it still. The rocks at the bottom need doing (not quite sure how I want to do them) as well as do the storm bolter and touch up some of the bits around the banner.

From the Work Bench.

This was another Marbling I rustled up about 3 weeks ago, pretty pleased with it, its starting to get honed in this effect to where I want it.

gallery_56497_5996_1176736.jpg

I want to add some more direct thin white veins in, which I will do. Plan for this summer is to try and paint all the immense amount of mech I have while finishing my DW and starting my GK's (which will use a good whack of the mech)

Archived