Juggernaught Khorne Lord

Okay, so ever since I started 40k I wanted to make this guy. And ever since I've joined the B&C I've been talking about him. And heres the earliest stages as of now, the Juggernaught is my first priority as of now, I'd like to get a few more coats until I do anything with his rider. I'm doing a supply run tomorrow but heres a start. I do not have any washes, hence why the urgent supply run, also gonna get some Plasticard and green stuff to make a custom sword for him based off some old designs I know of from an MMO I used to play.

Im considering a boltgun metal trim for now and possibly a darker coating of red for the Juggernaught's armor. The lord himself will have a Wordbearers color scheme with some healthy black detailing as well.

So heres the first pics! Any criticism is more than welcomed. I am a sloppy painter and I need to hear it. :)

gallery_58836_5986_97690.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_2204998.jpg

I'd recommend spraying on a basecoat, from that picture it doesn't look like you have. They're useful because they give the paint something to stick to (it's difficult with metal especially), gives you a flat colour to work with and can help cover up any gaps: if you spray in black and you miss a crevice then it looks like shading :)

Your modelling looks good though, what arms are you planning to put on him?

Ehhh, I know I should have. I sprayed a pack of berzerkers a while back and was more than displeased with the result of it and for some reason my black paint doesnt want to stick to the metal either, so I figured if I would suffer it at all it may as well be with some foundation Red Gore...

As for his arms, I'm considering swapping hands so he has a gun in his left and a daemon weapon in his right. Prolly going to add some spike to his shoulder pads and the cloak afterwards. Im not even thinking about the base atm, as I've never done anything to them before and Ill fight that battle when my Juggernaught is ready to charge head first into it with me.

Edit: Also, that head is from the CSM battleforce, most likely for a Tzeentchian Champion, but I love the horns on it. Sadly a head was glued on already and I had the carve it out since the glue stuck well... Damn that industrial glue I was given... From that End I'm rather satisfied with it.

Thanks for the advice!

Also I didn't paint the eyes on purpose. I want to do that a darker shade of red to get that shadow effect, or I may end up doing it lighter depending on how I do his eyes. I need to do some research of what they are made of seeing as its considered a mechanical daemon. The over all theme I was also considering would be a "Hakanor's Reavers" look from the CSM Codex and give his armor plating later on a mangled cracked lava burnt look and do the eyes a burning orange firey look. Or I may do a just do a colder look as though they are made of onyx and glowing red at the pupils. I have to honestly do some more research before I make a serious decision.

Most of it is actually light reflecting off of it, I know I spent a good hour just covering up spots I had missed... Doing metal without a basecoat can be a pain, I now see. Khârn in the backround there will get his coat when I do him...

I know I spent a good hour just covering up spots I had missed...

I feel your pain brother! My minis are always great until I take a picture, then suddenly A MILLION BITS I MISSED :o

As for spraying, I'd recommend spraying from a good 8 inches away from the model, and only in half-second bursts! That way you don't overcook it because you can check between sprays how thick the paint is.

Your a sloppy painter

And you're a sloppy grammar user :P Sorry, couldn't help myself.

but more seriously, you need to cut and reposition those legs, as is they form a gap that is much to big.

Well the model is leaning because the one leg is tucked under like hes turning. It doesn't look that bad, nor do I have the tools to change it, thats how it was in the mold... I just want the model done, I want to do something fancy with a base so I'll deal with the legs later.

and for some reason my black paint doesnt want to stick to the metal either

Have you tried washing models in some warm, soapy water before painting? There's usually some amount of mold release agent crap on there which will make painting harder.

I actually did... I did some searching before painting because it was kind of disappointing to think I may have to buy more stuff and gave it a quick rinse.

Alright, so this one has some boltgun metal trimming on in.

But I want opinions on what should I do for washes? Im thinking a bluish wash for it to give it a worn dirty look, and some dadab black over that, Possibly drybrush some mithril silver into the trim on the plating. Still deciding on the "meat" of the creature I suppose. Anyone got any opinions? Also, what should I do for the eyes?

PS, there arent any more white spots. I just spent 2 hours hunting them down. Thats the flash, my lighting is bad and I did an exposure adjust on the picture itself because my lighting is awful and the light is dying so its a dim yellow, which can warp the colors.

gallery_58836_5986_413089.jpg

Ill post pictures of the almost finished Juggernaught. I did a heavy blue wash on the boltgun metal "meat" of the Juggernaught, I repainted and rewashed lighter the body with Badab Black. I filled in the eyes with wash and bg metal. I touched up the trim with chainmail and redid the body again. The theme is bright silver, dingy red, and metallic blue. I know it may sound Odd, but I think it may be a decent look... I think Ill end up doing the metal darker in the end and possibly mix in some devlan mud wash to the plates. I need to get an insane detail brush to apply varnish to the eyes. (Damn I never get everything I need... Theres always ONE more thing I dont have lmao.) Its late here and my camera needs to charge... So ill post the pics after school when theres some actual lighting instead of my nocturnal painting and having to auto adjust the lighting. Well night, all and enjoy!

Alright. I found the "quality" button on my camera so Hopefully these look better. I accidently scratched the paint in a small spot that I guess isnt visible in these pictures, so ill redo that little knick later. I hope this would be the finished result. I could use opinions of any other detailing I should add.

Thanks guys.

gallery_58836_5986_401242.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_1870194.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_1363159.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_1639433.jpg

So I could use some opinions before I start the rider. Gonna get to crafting that sword then!

Oh yeah, I know the skulls are silver. Im gonna paint them later, as well as glue on a few more detailing later. Theres a few skulls with spikes I can add to the model I'll worry about later.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a Bloodcrusher pack, so I got a sword to give him at last! I absolutely butchered it in the process, and after some failed Green Stuff application, heres what I've got.

gallery_58836_5986_1367051.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_1928355.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_383659.jpg

gallery_58836_5986_2245298.jpg

Guess Ill start Painting him this afternoon, he isn't glued in yet and I need to touch up those lines on the Juggernaught.

very nice interesting to see termy legs fit quite well on the jugger

Yeah, I just had to angle it a tad differently and apply a gracious amount of glue and it fits very snugly. Im considering using some magnets to magnetize the legs on him to either have him walk or be able to swap the rider for Skulltaker. This guy is going to be the HQ of my DIY CSM/CD army, Blood God's Ascendants.

Archived