Predator Phalanx

HellHunter

Been working on this for a bit. I wanted to do conversion for my Predator but couldnt think of anything. Fortunately my IG playing friend supplies me with plenty of bitz and GUNS to play with.

After he purchased the new Leman Russ kit he gave me the Punisher gun and I knew that I was gonna have to do something with it. So, without further ado, I present the Predator Phalanx (Phalanx being named after the anti-air/missile defense system the Navy uses). I've always read how the Marines would more or less jury-rig something to the tanks or Land Raider to create a new variant. This is going to be designed to be that first variant rigged during a campaign in the heat of necessity.

Try your best to ignore the horrible red and yellow paint scheme. It was a failed attempt and will be changed later.

gallery_46975_5991_19777.jpg

Other shot

gallery_46975_5991_32437.jpg

For some reason, the model didn't quite go together right and left an ugly gap in the track area, so I made these "mudflap" things to cover it

gallery_46975_5991_33218.jpg

Close-up of the turret. As I said, this isn't designed to be streamlined; more rigged together in haste. I'm gonna add a little more plasticard

as plates of armor in a bit.

gallery_46975_5991_54083.jpg

Anyway thats the gist of it. I will, time/life permitting, do my best to continue this project and continue updates. Thanks!

Oh, CNC welcome!

For some reason, the model didn't quite go together right and left an ugly gap in the track area, so I made these "mudflap" things to cover it

gallery_46975_5991_33218.jpg

The mudflap things look ungainly. Maybe some GS in the gaps would be better? They look like they should have a purpose, but I can't imagine what their purpose would be, and between that and the size of them it sort of ruins it for me. Perhaps make them two pieces to fit with the contours of the tank and make them smaller to fit with the size of the tank? That way they might look like hasty armor plating instead of "gigantic flaps of mysterious purpose".

The sponson looks a bit flimsy where the assault cannons are hanging from. That's pretty much how GW does it, though, so there is that. Maybe shorten the rod or add a little something to it?

The plow on the front looks OK.

I like the turret. Where the Punisher cannon is attached looks good and I like the way the TC is posed. The hatch closest to the camera looks pretty jacked up, though. Maybe cover it with a round piece of plasticard with rivets to look like a plate bolted over the broken gun mount instead of just having a broken gun mount?

I don't blame you for putting all those cannons all over the Predator if your friend has enough IG to just be giving away all those spare parts! Gotta mow 'em down somehow.

"The mudflap things look ungainly. Maybe some GS in the gaps would be better? They look like they should have a purpose, but I can't imagine what their purpose would be, and between that and the size of them it sort of ruins it for me. Perhaps make them two pieces to fit with the contours of the tank and make them smaller to fit with the size of the tank? That way they might look like hasty armor plating instead of "gigantic flaps of mysterious purpose"."

-You're absolutely right. I put them on thinking the same reason. Lord knows why I kept them there. Definately gonna change those.

"The sponson looks a bit flimsy where the assault cannons are hanging from. That's pretty much how GW does it, though, so there is that. Maybe shorten the rod or add a little something to it?"

-Agree on that too. I'm actually not sure what to do there. I was hoping someone could help me on that ;) Was thinking guitar wire for cabling or something...

"The plow on the front looks OK"

-No matter what that just stays :) I love IG plows on SM vehicles. Most of my other vehicles have them too.

"The hatch closest to the camera looks pretty jacked up, though. Maybe cover it with a round piece of plasticard with rivets to look like a plate bolted over the broken gun mount instead of just having a broken gun mount?"

-Wow. For some reason I didn't even see that ;) Thanks!

I think the guitar wire idea would be a simple way to make the sponson mounts look stronger. You could just glue a short length in there, not even do anything fancy, and it would help. The standard GW mount is just as thin, but it has a squared block part and is a tad shorter, though it's still flimsy. I like the Forge World Land Raider II version, though they don't allow the guns to traverse to the rear.

Okay, bit of an update here. After careful consideration I found a way to fix the autocannon sponsons; I got rid of them and

replaced them with hurricane bolters from the Stormraven kit.

So:

gallery_46975_5991_8811.jpg

Simple fix to the "jacked up gun mount", and tried an experiment with green stuff; a trick I saw in the 'How to Paint Citadel Tanks' book.

Supposed to look like welded metal. Im not very experienced with green stuff so I thought it looked ok for a GS noob :P

gallery_46975_5991_39330.jpg

The Giant Mud Flaps of Doom were replaced. Still have to hide the big gap...

gallery_46975_5991_15871.jpg

So there you have it. As usual, CNC welcome :P

nice idea to have that weapon welded on, however I think the weld lines are just a little too thick. going on the pictures, it looks like the welds would be at least as wide as a clenched fist! maybe try using some less GS there and it should look awesome.

-kizzap

Archived