Adeptus Custodes Army

fiffa99

Hey everybody,

Just got a useable camera and ive decided to take some pics of my Adeptus Custodes Army. With the release of the new GK dex, I thinks its time they go back onto the battle field. I know this army is small at the moment, but with the previouse GK dex i ran 3 LR's which ate up most of the pts but they were painted badly so i sold them off a while ago. I plan on adding some more models, havent really decided on which yet... Without further ado my Custodians:

Squad #1

gallery_48025_5997_681414.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1435588.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_819947.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_169511.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1661723.jpg

Squad #2

gallery_48025_5997_2055202.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_963909.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1635593.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_575122.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_575122.jpg

Termi Squad

gallery_48025_5997_261987.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1922159.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1602400.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1109917.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_1060935.jpg

gallery_48025_5997_380354.jpg

What do you think?

Why did you end up going with the chaos backpacks instead of the regular ones? Interesting choice.

And what did you use for the helmets? Are those the high elf ones? If not, I'd really like to get whatever they are so I can do that too!

And yeah, you really should file off that insignia. It kinda detracts from the models.

Nice job, though.

Ye i agree with the iconography part, i did get a bit lazy towards that. As for the wargear, i know it may not all be legal, but i was doing this army for a modelling sake and so far i havent found an oppenent that has any problem with any of the wargear. (This army was made with the last ed of the GK codex in mind, so in the current one, things may be wrong, but i havent gotten around to reading it yet.) About the armour variants, i just simply had to do use what was available to me, i couldnt afford to buy 14 tactical boxes just for the mrk 8 armour and this army was done a while ago so my skills with green stuff was really limited.

Im not really sure why i used the chaos backpacks anymore... (this army was done close to 2 years ago) I think i just thought they looked cooler, i was originally thinking of using the eagle backpack for the SM comander kit but i couldnt afford that. As for the helmets, i just used a standard High Elf Spearmen Head with a Chaos warrior topknot. I plan on re-doing the entire army so i think i might just try to sell it all off or put it away and start fresh.

Something else to consider: I liked the concept for the guardian spears that you did (using the Tomb King blades it looks like), but it doesn't seem like the hafts were cut to any uniform size; they look like they're all different lengths to me.

Just some constructive criticism.

I like the idea of the chaos topknot on the high elf helmets. I think it looks really good.

I've been considering building a Custodes army for some time now. If I actually ever get around to building it, I'm going to make the helmets like you did. that was a neat idea.

With the White Lions now available in plastics, the high elf helms with a top knot are readily available.

I don't like them, the termis and some models aren't even legal, you made no attemts to file off the DA and/or Chaos iconography on weapons and armour, and you weren't very consistant with chest plate insignia (they had extremely well crafted armour, not MK. 7).

geeze somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, or maybe I missed the part in his post where it says "please berate my models and by a complete dick about it at the same time". There's a difference between evaluation and just outright criticism, maybe you should use the "if I have nothing nice to say don't say anything" approach?

I don't...actually..recall custodes ever using terminator armour. I'm sorry I don't see much positive to say except it was a worthy project to attempt.

actually they did, here's a picture for reference.

Custodian Terminators

I like the idea of the chaos topknot on the high elf helmets. I think it looks really good.

I've been considering building a Custodes army for some time now. If I actually ever get around to building it, I'm going to make the helmets like you did. that was a neat idea.

Alternatively you might consider

Scibor Custodian Guard Helmets

I used them for mine, they aren't to expensive and are modelled on the actual custodian guard, I think they give them real flare.

Personally I think any attempt at custodian guard is good, because they are quite hard to pull off. I think the choas backpacks are a good choice, look more pre-heresy than normal ones, plus the dark angels iconography is ok, swords is cool. Mine are covered in BA stuff heh :). Personally with the release of grey knights if you wanted an easier halberd you could use GK ones, that would certainly add to it! I specifically like the powerfist pointing one! it has a great sense of movement and the proportions look right. The problem with elf helmets is I feel they sometimes look a bit too small.

Out of interest did you mix gold and black for a fluff reason? pre heresy they were gold then I think they became black after the heresy, its an interesting choice :D Although I presume you did it to break up the gold heh :D

~Gil :)

Thx man! And ye i did mix black into the colour scheme just to break up the black. I found that some models just looked too shiny :). And for my second Custodes Army when i get around to it im pretty sure i will use the GK halberds as a base for the guardian spears and those scibor heads will work perfectly, thx for the link! Ive already wrote up a parts list for my nxt custodes army but its looking really pricey :)

Thx man! And ye i did mix black into the colour scheme just to break up the black. I found that some models just looked too shiny :P. And for my second Custodes Army when i get around to it im pretty sure i will use the GK halberds as a base for the guardian spears and those scibor heads will work perfectly, thx for the link! Ive already wrote up a parts list for my nxt custodes army but its looking really pricey :P

yeh... btw I suggest sanguinary guard bodies, they look lovely ;)

~Gil :D

Ya know, I had a feeling that the new GK codex would bring out all these closet Custodes armies that were just waiting for me to kick off my own Custodes effort. Yep, I'm sure that's what it is. :D

Seriously, I think you did a pretty a pretty good job on what can be a difficult modeling subject. I too, think that the chaos back packs are a nice touch and you did a good job on the halberds.

I got some of the Scibor heads and they are very, very nice. You'll like them. Also, you may want to check out the Scibor Spartan torsos. They are cheaper than SG versions.

All in all, a very solid effort and I look forward to the sequel.

Cheers,

Ya know, I had a feeling that the new GK codex would bring out all these closet Custodes armies that were just waiting for me to kick off my own Custodes effort. Yep, I'm sure that's what it is. ;)

Seriously, I think you did a pretty a pretty good job on what can be a difficult modeling subject. I too, think that the chaos back packs are a nice touch and you did a good job on the halberds.

I got some of the Scibor heads and they are very, very nice. You'll like them. Also, you may want to check out the Scibor Spartan torsos. They are cheaper than SG versions.

All in all, a very solid effort and I look forward to the sequel.

Cheers,

This is a good point, although personally I prefer SG because the legs are equally super ornate, plus I don't have all my Custodes with guardian spears, some just have halberds and the SG bolter arms, cause they look hot :)

~Gil :tu:

edit: or these:

Full custodian

Alternatively you might consider

Scibor Custodian Guard Helmets

I used them for mine, they aren't to expensive and are modelled on the actual custodian guard, I think they give them real flare.

Yeah, I've seen the Scibor helmets before. I don't know why I refuse to use them, but I just want to stick to GW plastics. If I use the Scibor ones, I can't enter my stuff into GW contests at tournaments and stuff. Thanks, though.

I do like the idea of using the Sanguinary Guard bodies, though. I think I'll do that one.

I think this is a nice start. Don't take the naysayers criticism too hard. I think using the winged skull chest is fine for the most part. In fact, I believe this army linked below was once featured in White Dwarf...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/TKaw...des-army-DT.jpg

Sure technically they would probably all have aquilas on their chest, considering their function, but we can at least say, though their armor is top notch, it's probably also very ancient, and this can be represented by using a variety of Mks.

I might like to see Chaos/DA symbols removed as noted but the sword is pretty generic after all. If you do more in the future I think you might also want to try to covert the elf heads further so they have some sort of faceplates... or use some scibor heads as mentioned (this post actually made me want to buy the scibor legionnaire set and make them all Custodians, shame it doesn't have a 5th variation to make it a full terminator squad).

On the technical side, pay attention to removing your mold lines.

Oh, and here is a nice tutorial using some BA bits - http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crus...?showtopic=4136

I think this is a nice start. Don't take the naysayers criticism too hard. I think using the winged skull chest is fine for the most part. In fact, I believe this army linked below was once featured in White Dwarf...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/TKaw...des-army-DT.jpg

Sure technically they would probably all have aquilas on their chest, considering their function, but we can at least say, though their armor is top notch, it's probably also very ancient, and this can be represented by using a variety of Mks.

I might like to see Chaos/DA symbols removed as noted but the sword is pretty generic after all. If you do more in the future I think you might also want to try to covert the elf heads further so they have some sort of faceplates... or use some scibor heads as mentioned (this post actually made me want to buy the scibor legionnaire set and make them all Custodians, shame it doesn't have a 5th variation to make it a full terminator squad).

On the technical side, pay attention to removing your mold lines.

Oh, and here is a nice tutorial using some BA bits - http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crus...?showtopic=4136

Thx for the input, i apreciate it. My next go at the Custodes has a very different parts list and i plan on using the scibor heads for sure. There's not going to be any Dark angels bitz in the new custodes so i wont have to worry about filing any iconography.

On a side note, i just have one question for anybody out there, since most pics of the Custodes have a similiar to mrk 8 chest armour, i was thinking of using either the new GK power armour chest or the Sauguinary guard chest peices, both will need some fileling to work but which one?

Archived