Hagmans Crafting Thread

HagmaNs

I just wanted a thread to get some feedback on my work and also som tips etc.

Ill get pictures up in a little while, need to take some more and resize them.

Please tell me how i can get better on my painting and modeling. I just started painting and modeling

after a 4 year break, and i really sucked back then.

// HagmanS

I really like that tree man. No joke, it's awesome. lol

However, I would advise against highlighting red with yellow if that's what you're doing. Yellow isn't really lighter red. You could mix yellow in with red to get a highlight but a pure yellow doesn't really work. As for the sitting marine, you've got the techniques down, and it looks cool, but I think you need to work on blending each highlight layer into the last. I think washes and glazes are generally used for this; I personally don't highlight stuff as fully as that :D

Anyway, keep up the work!

They do look good, but I feel the paint may be a little thick.

The blue looks good, but are you highlighting the red with yellow? or is it some sort of flame effect?

The Yellow "highlights" are mostly a test on how it would look.

Also a bit of practicing, cuz im thinking of doing a "flame effect" from a campfire on another model.

What should i do about the thick paint?

Only try to use less paint on the brush, or try to thin out the color?

I really like that tree man. No joke, it's awesome. lol

However, I would advise against highlighting red with yellow if that's what you're doing. Yellow isn't really lighter red. You could mix yellow in with red to get a highlight but a pure yellow doesn't really work. As for the sitting marine, you've got the techniques down, and it looks cool, but I think you need to work on blending each highlight layer into the last. I think washes and glazes are generally used for this; I personally don't highlight stuff as fully as that :cuss

Anyway, keep up the work!

Ty for feedback, goin away over the weekend, but when ill get back i will try to get the layers to blend more.

What should i do about the thick paint?

Only try to use less paint on the brush, or try to thin out the color?

Well it only looks thick in the picture

but if you feel they are too thick then a simple drop of water into the paint will do the trick

When it comes to thinning paints, I read this in a tutorial and found it very useful. In regards to Paint : Water ratios, for base coats 1 : 1, for laying/highlights 1 : 4, and for glazes 1 : 12. These vary depending on the colours you use but it should give you a rough idea. Hope it helps

Just thought I'd mention this, but you may want to skip on the stuff that's not power armored on this forum. The mods try to keep it power-armor only, with special privelages to Daemons, Inq. Henchmen and Scouts.

And now for some feedback. I'm really loving the lighting effect on the front of the dude with the heavy bolter (aka machinegun). Think you could make a tutorial on that? I think it puts a lot of character into the piece, as well as the unique way you posed him. It really looks like that weapon has a lot more kick when it's seen planted on the sandbag instead of merely carried like they're normally shown.

Archived