Raptors

Praesul

So, today I began the arduous task of repainting my marines (previously based white for a yellow/red scheme I was going to do but then backed out of due to time).

So I figured, well, lets do something a bit simpler, and at the same time just downright cool. Looking through the forums I decided on Raptors.

So todays excitement, I sprayed them down in an army green, then did a brush of camo green. This will be followed by the always fantastic Devlen Mud to pick out the details, then some more layering of greenish brown colors and eagles and insignia in white.

On the table, 40 marines, 20 tacs, 20 sternguard, 3 landspeeder Typhoons, 1 command squad and a Captain of some kind when I get around to making him.

This is just to keep me on track in my journey, pictures to follow.

Test mini I did last night, pretty simple scheme, needs to be based and some touch up on his pack along with some pouches to be added. But gave me a good idea of how to do the colors and such.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/Aehriman/100_0336.jpg

Oh yes! Spring break this week, so once Monday hits and my daughter goes back to her mother for a a couple days I am hoping (key word there) to knock out the other 19 Sternguard and 20 tacticals along with commander.

After that comes 3 LS Typhoons, 2 LS's, 2 Razor/rhino's, 2 Vindi's, a Pred, 3 Dreads, 2 more tac squads, and 2 dev squads....

First Sternguard squad is getting there, primed, base coated, washed once (3 year old helped with that, such a proud moment), after that comes a layer of camo green, sky grey for whites, metallics and another wash, then eyes.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/Aehriman/100_0339.jpg

Pretty much done with this guy, got everything figured out and should be a simple process getting the rest done.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/Aehriman/100_0341.jpg

Comments/Criticism

Yea, when I figure out the character of the Raptors a bit more, or have a game that he does something awesome in, he will get a piece of script there.

Also, do you think I should color the purity seal wax, or leave it matching the armor.

This mini is of course the Sternguard Sgt with his arm cut off with a razor saw just below the elbow, replaced with a plastic forearm and Commanders Combi Melta.

Tutorial on this mini.

Clean mini of random bits of metal leftovers.

Spray primer Army Painter Army Green

Quick brushing of Model Color Olive Green 70967

Heavy wash of watered down Devlan Mud

Olive green over the armor again

Pick out details

White done with Model Color Sky Grey 989 including eyes

Metallics in Model Color Oily Steel 70865

Wash in watered down Devlan Mud, avoid eyes

Asurmen Blue wash the eyes.

Base with sand stolen from a nearby park, static grass is Citadel Scorched Grass.

I'm thinking of doing a model of Lias, but want it to work in normal games as well, need to figure out another character it can "counts as"; thinking of magnetizing a PFist arm and having it counts as Pedro.

If anyone is interested in a visual of the process, this is basically it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/Aehriman/100_0342.jpg

From left to right

Finished; details done, needs base and touchups; white picked out with gray, bolter casing painted, 2nd wash; Olive Green with first wash.

Kiddo heads home tonight, and no school means about 8 hours a day of painting time. So far these guys have taken up about 6 hours, including figuring out the formula.

So I think I can get all 40 marines done this week.

Still need ideas for HQ. I want to run either Lias in a Codex force, or Tycho for a BA list. Leaning towards BA list as it's tournament legal.

Once I get my hands on a couple Scout squads with Storms and an Assault Squad I will try running Lias + Shrike counts as. Sounds like pure win together.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so it's been a while since I updated.

I'm going to try and hammer out most of my marines next week, looking at 2 10 man Sternguard squads, 10 man assault squad, 2 10 man tacsquads, 2 5man scouts, 2 storms, some rhino's and a Shrike counts as and Lias/Captain.

We'll see how fast my new airbrush gets me through this.

To answer you back on the seals, I like to paint the wax on mine a striking color that contrasts the armor. For my Imperial Fists, I used colors like blue, purple, green, and Red to not only draw extra attention and be eye catching, but you can use them as squad ID as well on the table from a distance...

Archived