Old School Grey Knights Models

I painted these guys a little while ago, but since everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon, I figured I should too. The pictures might not do them justice. They're actually a bit brighter in real life. Also, if you want you can check out my shamelessly plugged blog to see my Ultramarines which are painted using the same techniques, just different colors. So without further ado, here they are.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-auarvKNW3Zg/Tau1FTqdABI/AAAAAAAAAGc/pEp7SXt6V_M/s1600/Knight%203.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XyR3yuM_MYs/Tau1zxNg0hI/AAAAAAAAAGs/lxORkMhv5es/s1600/Knight%206.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-y0rgOPRdQfc/Tau1DuQikrI/AAAAAAAAAGY/MMdqHlofEbM/s1600/Knight%202.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ve7RZlZwmfo/Tau1MVbFlzI/AAAAAAAAAGo/KSOtQT_Xm64/s1600/Heraldry%206.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jPC87DDofDc/Tau1HFxXPoI/AAAAAAAAAGg/Rg017oaP2o0/s1600/Knight%204.jpg

Nice work on the highlights.

How come the old wrist-mounted stormbolters with the ammochains look so much better than those new wrist-mounted wrist-breakers?

I mean the old ones weren't that tiny to begin with, but for the new releases it seems someone decided they have to have the size of the pintle-mounted model.

That style of painting isn't the most technical, but it looks soooo good. Great work, it borders on looking cartoony, though I think it works very well.

Are you going to expand this force with the new kits? Would be interested to see what the new termies look like done in this fashion.

That style of painting isn't the most technical, but it looks soooo good. Great work, it borders on looking cartoony, though I think it works very well.

Are you going to expand this force with the new kits? Would be interested to see what the new termies look like done in this fashion.

I was thinking about adding to them, but I have too much on my plate right now. Again, there's more in my blog, but right now I'm about halfway through painting a Warhound Titan. After that it's back to work on my Ultras and my Eldar. The Grey Knights were originally designed to be an add-on to my Ultras and it's made things a lot more difficult now that the new codex won't allow me to throw them in together. Oh well. Looks like they're just a display piece now.

I was thinking about adding to them, but I have too much on my plate right now. Again, there's more in my blog, but right now I'm about halfway through painting a Warhound Titan. After that it's back to work on my Ultras and my Eldar. The Grey Knights were originally designed to be an add-on to my Ultras and it's made things a lot more difficult now that the new codex won't allow me to throw them in together. Oh well. Looks like they're just a display piece now.

Yeh absolutely, I did see your titan. Brilliant work on that thing too so far too. Also all your other stuff haha :cuss

That is a shame you can't field them as allies now XD Doesn't matter, as a display piece they are great.

Very well done! This particular painting style looks like it might be easier for a painting n00b like myself to tackle on a first go-round; if it's ok with you, may I borrow the general idea?

Also, since I hate seeing effort go to waste, you could use these guys as counts-as Legion of the Damned if you really wanted to somehow work these into a game with your Ultramarines! Some of the special rules for LotD might suitably represent a squad of Grey Knights...admittedly there could only be one actual power weapon though, and the storm bolters would have to count as regular bolters, but you could keep the heavy flamer.

I absolutely love the simplicity look of the scheme, with the almost cartoonish look to the colours. hope we get to see more :)

-kizzap

I have one more major piece to do before the main section of the Titan's torso is done. If I haven't given myself the Emperor's Mercy by then with having to paint so much white on the interior, I should have majority of the torso up in a week's time. And after that, it's on to another UM tac squad. Third time's a charm!

@Cylu: That tutorial is just suppopsed to be a very basic tutorial. A jumping off point, if you will. If you have any ideas for which tutorial I should write next, feel free to shoot me a PM.

These are really nicely painted. Personally I’m not a fan of the Highlighting you did there, which doesn’t mean it’s not awesome; It just doesn’t “speak” to me. All in all great models, but what kind of ruins them for me completely is the absolutely boring base… just spent a couple minutes longer on that part of the model and it will make such a huge difference. Try to get a bit of a contrast to the model and get some grass/tuft in there or some rocks/stones and BAM wonderful model! Good job.

Laters

Very well done! This particular painting style looks like it might be easier for a painting n00b like myself to tackle on a first go-round; if it's ok with you, may I borrow the general idea?

Feel free to use my technique. I was thinking about making a tutorial about it eventually anyway. I'd be flattered if you liked my style enough to want to use it on your own models.

@FatMan: Yeah, the base is kind of lacking. Admittedly I'm not very good at that part. I have a bit of a better technique that I'm currently using on my wife's dirty filthy xenos witch. . . eh. . . on her Eldar. If I ever make a new army, I'm definately going to have them on nicer bases.

Sounds like a plan, but to improve these blokes you could try giving the base a wash of say, badab black or perhaps devlan mud or even chestnut ink! Whatever, you know, just so al those little rocks on the base actually get some depth OR paint them with Scorched, and dry brush wit Vermin and Bleach/khaki, you know what ever, try this on one guy, and see what you like! If you just get that “little bit” with the base, this will be an awesome force!

Laters

@Cylu: That tutorial is just suppopsed to be a very basic tutorial. A jumping off point, if you will. If you have any ideas for which tutorial I should write next, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'd be interested to see how you work out which colours go where and what direction the shading goes.

@FatMan: Yeah, the base is kind of lacking. Admittedly I'm not very good at that part. I have a bit of a better technique that I'm currently using on my wife's dirty filthy xenos witch. . . eh. . . on her Eldar. If I ever make a new army, I'm definately going to have them on nicer bases.

I've got to say, I really like the simple bases. I think the problem you'd have with some of the more "traditional" basing (with static grass etc) would be that it's nowhere near as stylized as the paint on the minis.

I'd probably look at doing some kind of water or even large crystals, so you could keep the cartoon paintjob going while breaking up the base.

Now there's a cool idea! I really really like the idea of crystals on the ground for the Eldar. I'm going to try that one and see how it turns out. Thanks for the idea!

Do you really think that taking these totally unpainted rocks and simply washing them with an ink would produce a cool effect like that? I think I'll make up a plain base and wash it to see how it turns out. I'll see if I can get a picture posted of it this weekend. If it ends up making them look cooler, I can use the technique to fix up the bases of these guys and maybe even help out my UMs.

Or do you think the Ultramarine bases I have are good as they are? Here's a pic for reference:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FY-CP_Vp3qM/TWMJm_eSYdI/AAAAAAAAACE/Gh4j2VJGtMo/s1600/Tac%202%20Bolter%20Comp.jpg

I think I'm going to try to get that tutorial up this weekend too.

That's one of the most refreshing painting styles I've seen in awhile. The grey knights are awesome.

Also since your style is high contrast, I think it would look better with some striking colors on the base as well.

Now there's a cool idea! I really really like the idea of crystals on the ground for the Eldar. I'm going to try that one and see how it turns out. Thanks for the idea!

No worries. :)

Do you really think that taking these totally unpainted rocks and simply washing them with an ink would produce a cool effect like that? I think I'll make up a plain base and wash it to see how it turns out. I'll see if I can get a picture posted of it this weekend. If it ends up making them look cooler, I can use the technique to fix up the bases of these guys and maybe even help out my UMs.

Try giving it a black wash, then dry brush it white. That way it will look like you've blacklined the rocks themselves.

I'd also see what a base on one of those guys looks like with a black rim.

Archived