Painting and "fluff"

orbion

Hey there just starting into my blood angels army and looking for some help on painting things and keeping them close to fluff meaning squad colours basec on X,Y,Z company and so on. Paint scheme is going to be pretty standard

Base white spray

undercoat blood red

black wash

blood red touch up

highlight blazing orange

baal red wash to finish

Oh and not sure about what colour the chest decals like wings / skulls should be any help as to what would go with the yellow drop on the right pad would be appreciated.

Just wondering about the shoulder / knee markings because i don't have all marines that have the knee pads. some of them have the longer whole lower leg pad not to mention that my freehand is dismal and painting on kneepads would look terrible to say the least. Would it be possible to have a company with the ywllow drop right shoulder and standard heraldry left shoulder without painting knee markings and still making it close to the "fulff"

Also if there are any links to pretty much that paint scheme so i can have a peek at what they might look like it would be much appreciated.

Nothing says that you have to put squad markings on knee pads, but if your not commited to a specific squad some of them are rather easy to paint (for example black knee pad with a white X covering it). I'd just leave the ones with out a knee pad without a marking. you could just put a white X somewhere else, the DC box is loaded with bots with the X on them.

Yeah i realised later that i could just leave those unmarked haha and yeah i don't have a specific one im gunning for just wanna use most of the stardard stuff from boxes and as far as painting white on black i've had terribad experience with that unless you put like 4 coats on.

I was caught out by white on black. Light grey (Codex grey) then white seemed to work - two coats.

Current fluff has the chest eagles as black, easy enough. You could highlight with a fortress grey dry brush.

I personally love the mechrite red foundation for the base coat, which gives lovely purple tinged shadows.

There are a huge variety of versions of red used by much better painters than me. I have yet to see one which really behave like glossy red paint, for instance on cars. The cover of the codex shows something like who red a gloss armour would work in reality, highlighting swiftly to white. Blazing orange washed back with baal red as you suggest is the most common version I've seen for the figures.

Quick question do you think that highlighting the black wings with a codex grey would work too just kind of on the edges with the majority of it still being black. Also having the skulls standard bleached bone black wash then touch up. just asking opinions i know each person paints their army how they want :cuss.

Oh and also for assault squads having the yellow helmet i kinda dig that any tips on how to make that look good i hear a lot of people saying it's hard to paint that yellow i think i have ... sunburst yellow.

Some advice I got in my GW store was to paint the helmet Scorched Brown (which goes over the top of my mecharite red foundation, i paint that with a big brush lol), then got to Iyanden Darksun to get a yellow base. I'm going to touch it up with some sunburst yellow, but I want to avoid looking too orange. Others may have better advice.

I was caught out by white on black. Light grey (Codex grey) then white seemed to work - two coats.

Current fluff has the chest eagles as black, easy enough. You could highlight with a fortress grey dry brush.

I personally love the mechrite red foundation for the base coat, which gives lovely purple tinged shadows.

There are a huge variety of versions of red used by much better painters than me. I have yet to see one which really behave like glossy red paint, for instance on cars. The cover of the codex shows something like who red a gloss armour would work in reality, highlighting swiftly to white. Blazing orange washed back with baal red as you suggest is the most common version I've seen for the figures.

You could also use denab stone (probably wrong spelling) which is a foundation paint (better coverage, theoretically one coat to get it there even over black) and then skull white. The stone is not technically a white scale color but I have decent luck with it so far. Just as a suggestion. I used to do the grey as well, but once I watered it down enough to eliminate streaks I ended up with it taking more than one coat. It could jsut be I was using too much water.

Still testing for my yellow helmets, but I'll tell you what works for me. First, paint them separately. I prime them and paint still attached to a bit of the sprue at the bottom so I have something to hold on to while I work. Trim any flash of course, just leave them attached to that bit. This allows you to prime the helmets white and the body black if you like and avoids getting red on your yellow or vice versa. Prime white, basecoat with darksun, highlight with golden yellow, then with sunburst yellow, darken recesses with devlan mud.

Sunburst Yellow is definitely a better highlight color. I remember trying to use that as the main coat on my marine helmets once... *shudder*

My new method makes for some nice helms. I start with Iyanden Darksun basecoat over my prime, then a Gryphonne Sepia wash, which makes for nice, brown lowlights without overpowering the colors too much, then a 1:1 Iyanden-Golden Yellow, then pure Golden Yellow. Highlight with Sunburst and you're golden.. Metaphorically speaking. I use wash early on in the recipe because if the wash should pool in a way I don't like it's not as much of a setback, and also the colors are a little brighter, I suppose. If nothing else it pleases me more asthetically.

@Tabgoi: It's okay to have to do more than one coat. Thin paints are your friend.:(

For the yellow, I recomend using Iyanden Darksun (foundation) over any primer then giving it a wash of vermin brown. After that re-highlight with golden yellow and you're good to go.

@Taz, I agree completely, thin paints are definately your friends. Unfortunately I like to get results quickly and sometimes the thin paints seem like that friend who has been crashing on your couch the last few months who also has a new girlfriend who is trying to take over your first floor as if one of them is actually a resident.

Archived