Grey Knights: how to fight Necron?

Cmdr Shepard

Greetings fellow Warhammer 40k players, I need your help.

I'm currently playing Grey Knights in a tournament at my local store and next week I'll face a Necron army.

What tactics do you suggest to use?

The tournament's rules allow the players to set the points limit but I'm certain it will be either a 1500 or 2000 points match.

Thank You for your assistance.

Just general knowledge:

Ignore their monolith(s) They are one of the hardest things to kill and take a huge amount of points away from phase out models.

Kill their phase out models. If you kill 3/4 of their phase troops you auto-win. Each infantry unit will say which is a phase out unit or not in their codex.

Get into CC. This will avoid their masses of rending gauss weapons and your power weapons shine.

Kill whole units at a time. This screws with thier ability to bring back.

Killing tomb spiders is one of the easiest ways to make bringing their troops back harder. Others are killing monolith(hard) and killing the Necron Lord(may come back to life).

Thank you.

I was thinking about playing a Vindicare so I can eventually destroy the Monolith for the sake of morale... I was thinking to ignore it until I have a chance to deliver the fatal blow with my Vindicare but your suggestion made me wonder fi I should avoid this tactic.

I won three tournement matches out of three with my Grey Knights and I'd like to play competitively against Necron.

What do you suggest about Vindicare? Should I play it? In what role?

Do you have tips about the list? Infantry? vehicles? Inquisition based army? Dreadknights or Psybolt dreadnoughts?

Actually, the Vindicare would be your best bet to kill the monolith (You should still get 4d6 to pen, although you will not rend) as he is ap1 and doesn't need to roll that well to penetrate the monolith. [edit: This is solely based on previous precedents with the Vindicare. Talk to your TO about this before you make your list so you know whether or not he'll be useful for this.]

If the monolith is used in the right way, you will almost definitely not be able to kill enough necrons to win. Look at it this way. You ignore the monolith and shoot his guys. They have a 50% chance to recover (no matter what you took them down with - that's what the Res Orb is for), then the monolith can use the portal to give a particularly devastated unit another chance at WBB. That's a total of about 60-75% losses recuperated, and we're still talking about T4 3+ units who might even have cover saves.

The normal way to combat this is by causing a high number of wounds and hoping for the best, but GKs don't have the luxury of a large number of big blast weapons or overwhelming range.

Assault, you scream. Sure, it can work in a vacuum. A monolith, left unperturbed, will loom over your efforts to kill necrons in combat, as you absolutely need everything to go your way in the assault phase to have a chance. That, and you need to spare them for a player turn so you aren't shot at with the large blast and rapidfired to death, which is impossible when a monolith is in the picture. Remember that a monolith can pull a squad out of CC. which means that you're screwed if you don't wipe out enough and sweep them. Add into that the fact that a res orb + the monolith means that they're recouping 75% of their lost models if you fail, and you're looking at a troubling proposition of failure = death.

Try this. Include the Vindicare with the aim of killing the monolith the moment it arrives [edit: again, based on precedent]. Before the monolith arrives, focus your efforts on the destroyers and heavy destroyers, wiping those out before they cause too much trouble. Once the monolith and destroyers are taken care of, all you have to do is engage in close combat and mop up the survivors.

Of course, this changes the moment any C'tan are involved. You absolutely do not want to engage in CC with a C'tan with normal GK troops. You might want to consider having a brotherhood champion in your list just for this eventuality. A good psychic test, followed by a 3+ to hit roll when you are inevitably killed by the deceiver/nightbringer will make sure that the threat ends there. Otherwise, stay the hell away and focus your shooting efforts on the warriors.

Thank you.

I was thinking about playing a Vindicare so I can eventually destroy the Monolith for the sake of morale... I was thinking to ignore it until I have a chance to deliver the fatal blow with my Vindicare but your suggestion made me wonder fi I should avoid this tactic.

I won three tournement matches out of three with my Grey Knights and I'd like to play competitively against Necron.

What do you suggest about Vindicare? Should I play it? In what role?

Do you have tips about the list? Infantry? vehicles? Inquisition based army? Dreadknights or Psybolt dreadnoughts?

ABout the Vindicare you need to get your TO to judge if it gets the extra dice or not! The old one was FAQ'ed so that it did and with that reasoning I would say the current one will as well... but then you have the old living metal where you get S+D6 and that is all.... personally I think the vindicare is special! If no problems using the 4d6 pen comes up them take it! It will make monoliths cry! Oh and then use it to snipe Necron lords with res orbs XD

On the topic of ignoring things... C'tan are genrally good to ignore unless they will kill you before you can phase the crons out... If it isn't a necron in most cases you can ignore it!

Don't get into combat with Pariahs should they be around... at least not with anything expensive!

Try to win in CC because if you sweep a squad of necrons they can't use WBB even if a res-orb is near by!

the 4 most common necron (I mean that have the necron rule used for WBB) that I see are Warriors (You will see at least 20 of these no matter what), Immortals, Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers! (Others do exist!)

Warriors are the only troop choice and about as cheap as things get for necrons... if you can get into combat with say at least half the number of grey knights as warriors you are fighting you should be able to beat them down and kill then rest by running them down! Warriors are the units you normally want to beat in combat as they are the largest units (normally) and this is how you can kill the most quickly without taking much damage (as long as you can make it to them!)

Immortals are warrior+... Also a good choice for CC but often in smaller units so not as good for reaching phase out...

Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers... if you can get in combat with them great but they are fast so I suggest you use all your long range dakka that can't hurt a monolith (unless you have decided to try and kill a C'tan with it!) to focus on one of these types. If you can take them all out in a single turn they cannot WBB.

WBB requires 1 necron of the same type to still be standing within 6 (or 12 with a tomb spyder) thats why if you focus on killing one type a turn (or at least one type in a part of a board) it can be better. Say you can fire space marine squad A at two warrior squads (that are over 6 and no tomb spyder) and warrior squad X only has 1 guy standing (9 have already been downed this turn by another unit) while Y has all 10 guys up. Now squad A could shoot Y and on average should kill 3 guys so shooting the lone guy might seem like a waste of ammo but remember in the situation I have described if you kill the guy from squad X you stop on average 4-5 necrons getting back up + half of the guys you downed from Y would get back up anyway.

I hope I haven't been confusing.

1)Kill fast units to slow down their speed and dakka (destroyers/heavy destroyers)

2)Get into combat with big units with the necron rules and try and make them run and then cut them down for phase out!

3)Gauss isn't rending! It just auto wounds/glances on a wound/pen roll of a 6 regardless of T or AV!

Actually, the Vindicare would be your best bet to kill the monolith (You should still get 4d6 to pen, although you will not rend) as he is ap1 and doesn't need to roll that well to penetrate the monolith.

If the monolith is used in the right way, you will almost definitely not be able to kill enough necrons to win. Look at it this way. You ignore the monolith and shoot his guys. They have a 50% chance to recover (no matter what you took them down with - that's what the Res Orb is for), then the monolith can use the portal to give a particularly devastated unit another chance at WBB. That's a total of about 60-75% losses recuperated, and we're still talking about T4 3+ units who might even have cover saves.

The normal way to combat this is by causing a high number of wounds and hoping for the best, but GKs don't have the luxury of a large number of big blast weapons or overwhelming range.

Assault, you scream. Sure, it can work in a vacuum. A monolith, left unperturbed, will loom over your efforts to kill necrons in combat, as you absolutely need everything to go your way in the assault phase to have a chance. That, and you need to spare them for a player turn so you aren't shot at with the large blast and rapidfired to death, which is impossible when a monolith is in the picture. Remember that a monolith can pull a squad out of CC. which means that you're screwed if you don't wipe out enough and sweep them. Add into that the fact that a res orb + the monolith means that they're recouping 75% of their lost models if you fail, and you're looking at a troubling proposition of failure = death.

Try this. Include the Vindicare with the aim of killing the monolith the moment it arrives. Before the monolith arrives, focus your efforts on the destroyers and heavy destroyers, wiping those out before they cause too much trouble. Once the monolith and destroyers are taken care of, all you have to do is engage in close combat and mop up the survivors.

Of course, this changes the moment any C'tan are involved. You absolutely do not want to engage in CC with a C'tan with normal GK troops. You might want to consider having a brotherhood champion in your list just for this eventuality. A good psychic test, followed by a 3+ to hit roll when you are inevitably killed by the deceiver/nightbringer will make sure that the threat ends there. Otherwise, stay the hell away and focus your shooting efforts on the warriors.

I was also thinking to use Warp Quake to prevent the Monolith to land on the desired position. I had the same idea about Brotherhood champion. I tend to use a Grand master because the Grand Strategy rules made me win many matches. I also tend to include an Ordo Xeno inquisitor for a cheaper access tp rad/psychotrope granades. That makes a little difficult the HQ choice... After all even a Librarian with warp rift can create nasty issues to I2 warriors without the benefit of "we'll be back rule".

ABout the Vindicare you need to get your TO to judge if it gets the extra dice or not! The old one was FAQ'ed so that it did and with that reasoning I would say the current one will as well... but then you have the old living metal where you get S+D6 and that is all.... personally I think the vindicare is special! If no problems using the 4d6 pen comes up them take it! It will make monoliths cry! Oh and then use it to snipe Necron lords with res orbs XD

I already asked it and they say the Vindicare gets 4D6 as standard value and their are not considered additional dices

Don't get into combat with Pariahs should they be around... at least not with anything expensive!

Try to win in CC because if you sweep a squad of necrons they can't use WBB even if a res-orb is near by!

About Pariahs I'm thinking about a way to avoid their anti-psychic effects. Purifiers are fearless so they should not be forced to make the test and an Inquisitor will make a squad stubborn, so no longer LD 7. Their weapons, however could create problems to anything expensive as you noticed, so no CC against them if possible.

Just a question about sweeping a squad of Necrons: if the entire squad has been destroy the cannot came back even if an orb is withing range, provided there are no other necrons of the same type in the vicinity. Did I understand correctly?

If you can use a vindicare to destroy a monolith or two worth many more points than said vindicare. Yes, that's cruel and points efficient, but will make the necron player feel like GW has forsaken him.

As for exact weapons and builds, I beat necrons with bolters, bolters, transports, and typhoons. So all you need is to get your troops into CC and AP3 weapons. GK's don't really need to talor their lists against the necron list's I've played. If you can catch eldar and stomp the snot out of other space marine armies, then you have all the tools needed to beat necrons.

An anoying army that necrons can and do build for tourneys and such: monoliths (2-4), destoryers (6-9), and minimal scoring/phase out units. The army would reserve so the warriors would have the most turns without being shot. Then would bounce the warriors between monoliths that aren't near your forces. However, monoliths are large, slow, and few in number. Any sort of mobility will help run down those troops and whipe them out.

If you can use a vindicare to destroy a monolith or two worth many more points than said vindicare. Yes, that's cruel and points efficient, but will make the necron player feel like GW has forsaken him.

As for exact weapons and builds, I beat necrons with bolters, bolters, transports, and typhoons. So all you need is to get your troops into CC and AP3 weapons. GK's don't really need to talor their lists against the necron list's I've played. If you can catch eldar and stomp the snot out of other space marine armies, then you have all the tools needed to beat necrons.

An anoying army that necrons can and do build for tourneys and such: monoliths (2-4), destoryers (6-9), and minimal scoring/phase out units. The army would reserve so the warriors would have the most turns without being shot. Then would bounce the warriors between monoliths that aren't near your forces. However, monoliths are large, slow, and few in number. Any sort of mobility will help run down those troops and whipe them out.

I heard about that Necron tactic but the mobility you suggest should be an efficent countermeasure. Do you suggest Stormraven use? it should offer a more than decent firepowe but it's quite expensive. It can be tailored with several AP3/AP2 weapons. If I remeber correctly the range of Necron weapons does not exceed 36" and stormraven can fire from afar.

What HQ choice is preferable? Grand Master/ Librarian?

I played very fun games using Draigo and Paladins but I'd tend to keep them away from that fight...

I usually include Psybolt autocannos Dreads but they can deliver only AP4 fire so maybe I may switch to a different set up.

Stormravens offer a massive amount of force in a single FAST package. If you keep them safe, 10 necron warriors can glance a land raider to death, they could deliver a squad of PA/TDA and/or dread to destroy whole units. It's a viable option, go for it. Just don't let it be the only Armored target you have in your army as other armies will have only it to fire their ML, autocannons, LC's, etc..

I can say land raiders don't do so hot vs. necrons. The base unit of Warriors put out 20 shots that auto glance on 6. A single unit can pick the weapons off a land raider and leave it immobilized, or at least have the only remaining weapon not facing the enemy.

It might just be me, but I hold the necron dex in such low regard that I think any all comers list can take necrons down. At the end of the day, you are catching and killing infantry to beat them, not even transports AV10-14 fast or not, just infantry. Any mech army controls when and where Necron armies are fought. Destroyers are the only thing that might mess with your amies but ML/LC's or psycannons will swat them down.

Yeah, the Necron Codex is old and crappy, anyone who seriously wants to contend in a Tournament will have trouble...I wouldn't worry about it at all, if your list is...anything above being garbage you should be able to beat them hands down.

Any book with an auto-lose condition is pretty bad, combine that with a total of about 14 units in the whole codex, and none of them being particularly "good" and you get a terrible codex.

Stormravens offer a massive amount of force in a single FAST package. If you keep them safe, 10 necron warriors can glance a land raider to death, they could deliver a squad of PA/TDA and/or dread to destroy whole units. It's a viable option, go for it. Just don't let it be the only Armored target you have in your army as other armies will have only it to fire their ML, autocannons, LC's, etc..

I can say land raiders don't do so hot vs. necrons. The base unit of Warriors put out 20 shots that auto glance on 6. A single unit can pick the weapons off a land raider and leave it immobilized, or at least have the only remaining weapon not facing the enemy.

It might just be me, but I hold the necron dex in such low regard that I think any all comers list can take necrons down. At the end of the day, you are catching and killing infantry to beat them, not even transports AV10-14 fast or not, just infantry. Any mech army controls when and where Necron armies are fought. Destroyers are the only thing that might mess with your amies but ML/LC's or psycannons will swat them down.

I always try to include every possible psycannon: it is one of my favorite weapons in the entire Codex

So Vindicare is a must. Stormraven is ok. Personlly I think about a LasCannon/ Typhon ML configuration. What about plasma cannon?

What do you suggest in order to "don't let it be the only Armored target"? Two stormraven sound too expensive for a 1500/2000p. match. There are still the Psybolt dreads: 12 S8 shots per turn can even destroy a C'tan.

Warp quake can put Monolith's deep strike strategies to an end.

Since I should engage Necron is CC as soon as possible I need a good number of infantry models. The question is: To keep the choice cheap or Terminators.

Are Rad and Psychotroke grenades mandatory, or at least extremely useful, against Necron?

I'm tempeted to try a Culexus Assassin but I'm not sure if the bonus to it's attack value is granted by a Grey Knight unit as a single entity (thus +1 for each unit) or increased by one for every GK model within range.

What HQ would be more suited?

I may be wrong but even few Jokaero can be a really appreciated asset.

Finally: Dreadnought or Dreadknight?

Yeah, the Necron Codex is old and crappy, anyone who seriously wants to contend in a Tournament will have trouble...I wouldn't worry about it at all, if your list is...anything above being garbage you should be able to beat them hands down.

Any book with an auto-lose condition is pretty bad, combine that with a total of about 14 units in the whole codex, and none of them being particularly "good" and you get a terrible codex.

I have to agree. However the Codex is open to "[mis]interpretation techniques" and that can create issues during tournaments or competive games.

For Example if I destroy completely a Necron unit do I earn the kill point even though few models resurrect? In a white dwarf article Adam Troke and Robin Cruddace said so but it was not a FAQ.

That's the reason of my concern. This game will be decise and I need to play my Grey Knights at the best of their possiblities.

I want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge with me. Thank You again

If you are going to use Stormraven then I'd pick the Dreadnought over DK for target saturation, and don't put them in the storm raven. Even then I'd take Rhino's for PAGK if you have any. I've never built a modern GK army but keeping PAGK cheap and as half your troops with TDA carring Psycannons as the other half seems awsome, carry them in the storm ravens and drop them off quickly.

Plasma cannon is trouble for Warriors of all kinds. But you get more range to snipe destroyers with the Lascannon.

Can't speek for grenades.

I don't see any reason to change your HQ. Just use what works with the force you got.

Anything in Terminator armor is rough on Necrons, as well. The other night I watched a unit of Paladins walk 36" across the board into the teeth of an entire Necron army, and only take two casualties on the way in. Once in melee, the Necrons go down like a boxer with a glass jaw.

I second the suggestion for Terminators. Necrons are horribly bad at taking them down in close combat (with a few exceptions, namely the C'tan and Pariahs. You see those exceptions, you stay the hell away from them), and don't do very well taking them down at range.

Plus, at that range, the S10 daemonhammers can work a serious number on the monolith.

If you are going to use Stormraven then I'd pick the Dreadnought over DK for target saturation, and don't put them in the storm raven. Even then I'd take Rhino's for PAGK if you have any. I've never built a modern GK army but keeping PAGK cheap and as half your troops with TDA carring Psycannons as the other half seems awsome, carry them in the storm ravens and drop them off quickly.

Plasma cannon is trouble for Warriors of all kinds. But you get more range to snipe destroyers with the Lascannon.

Can't speek for grenades.

I don't see any reason to change your HQ. Just use what works with the force you got.

I have many TDA Grey Knights so I have no problem in fielding them. Just a question: Do you suggest 5 men squads or a full strenght 10 terminators squad? Terminators or Paladins? I had very pleasing experiences with Paladins but their high cost will reduce the number of troops, and firepower, I can use to bring Necrons under the auto-lose threshold.

"Green light" for the Dreadnought. Psybolt autocannon Dreads seems the bset choice: higher AP value than Lascannon but more shots and more cheaper.

I'll put PAGK in the rhino. If I have spare points I could play an Inquisitor's warband and a chimera but maybe it requires points that can be allocated to TDA troops, even though Chimera can actually carry them.

Anything in Terminator armor is rough on Necrons, as well. The other night I watched a unit of Paladins walk 36" across the board into the teeth of an entire Necron army, and only take two casualties on the way in. Once in melee, the Necrons go down like a boxer with a glass jaw.

Paladins are very tough, especially when they are granted the FNP rule. I played my first game with new GK a couple of days after their release so Draigo, Paladins and a Dreadknight were the only new units I was able to assemble. They survived a nearly endless "fire tempest" before they reached meele range whiping out the enemy's main lines.

Psycannons destroyed a Furioso Librarian, a Predator Baall and a Predator. The only issue with Necron is the one I wrote above. I'd like to have a greater number if troops and weapons to bring Necron models under the auto-lose threshold without fearing to lose a part of a death star unit every time it get shot by S9 AP2 weapons.

I second the suggestion for Terminators. Necrons are horribly bad at taking them down in close combat (with a few exceptions, namely the C'tan and Pariahs. You see those exceptions, you stay the hell away from them), and don't do very well taking them down at range.

Plus, at that range, the S10 daemonhammers can work a serious number on the monolith.

That's sure. S10 daemonhammer can work a serious number on many units. The need to stay away from Pariahs and C'tan was a reason made me to not include Paladins... maybe I'm wrong about that...

Honestly, C'tan and Pariahs are pretty rare sights in necron armies. In the instances that they do appear, that's when you ply your advantage of mobile firepower by backpedaling and stormboltering/psycannoning the offending targets. Anything short of heavy destroyers will struggle immensely with dealing with terminators at range.

Honestly, C'tan and Pariahs are pretty rare sights in necron armies. In the instances that they do appear, that's when you ply your advantage of mobile firepower by backpedaling and stormboltering/psycannoning the offending targets. Anything short of heavy destroyers will struggle immensely with dealing with terminators at range.

S8/9 weapons ahould deal with C'tan. C'tan posses only a 4++ Save. It's handy but can be broken by sustained high strength fire

Talking about Terminators. I made a quick calculation and Paladins seems considerably resisten agains Gauss Weapon's fire (except heavy destroyers firepower), especially with FNP upgrade.

80 shots- 53.33 hits-26.66 wounds- 4.4 failed saves- 2.2 wounds inflicted with FNP upgrade- 0 death due to wounds allocation rule.

The Paladins' retaliation should be devastating.

The only issue is the very limited number of models. With a Paladin death star unit you can deploy something like 25 models at 2000 points. Maybe is a too scanty number... What do you think?

I play with 7 lascannons and 8 missile launchers in my 2k list, and I have immense trouble with C'tan whenever they appear. Trust me, it's not enough to deal with C'tan and the heavy destroyers in 1 game. At range, destroyers are the number 1 threat, so hit them and ignore the C'tan.

In addition, Paladins can be good, but a viable unit of them will basically be the only things you have on the field. Couple that with their weakness to anything that ignores armor and has S8+, and they're going to quickly become a liability against quite a few armies out there.

I recommend Terminators instead. They're cheaper and they're scoring, which will help when running such a small army.

Just played Grey Knights vs Necrons last night. At 2000 points, I had 47 boots on the ground, two Rhinos and a DK with PT/Heavy Incinerator.

25 models is a ridiculously low model count- consider the Monolith's 24" range large blast template that will inflict instant death on your Paladins and the fact they can easily bring 3 of them to a 2000 point game with more than 50% of the points left to spend. Sure, the template will only ignore the 2+ armor save if the center hole of the template is right over the top of a model, so you will be getting your armor saves, but do you really want to be able to lose 2-4 paladins per monolith per turn?

Grey Knights have 2 weaknesses- lack of long range and low model count. Don't do your opponent a favor and make one of your weaknesses even worse.

I play with 7 lascannons and 8 missile launchers in my 2k list, and I have immense trouble with C'tan whenever they appear. Trust me, it's not enough to deal with C'tan and the heavy destroyers in 1 game. At range, destroyers are the number 1 threat, so hit them and ignore the C'tan.

In addition, Paladins can be good, but a viable unit of them will basically be the only things you have on the field. Couple that with their weakness to anything that ignores armor and has S8+, and they're going to quickly become a liability against quite a few armies out there.

I recommend Terminators instead. They're cheaper and they're scoring, which will help when running such a small army.

The only issue with standard Terminators is that they die with even more frequently. They are even easly affected by sustained light fire ( about S4), and they only cost 15 points less than Paladins.

Paladins can score if you include Draigo as HQ but it does not resovle the problem you mentioned.

I strongly agree with you analysis. It was why I was thinking about not use Paladins for that match.

What do you think about using only a small (5 men) squad of Terminators and allocate the remaing points to power armour GK?

Just played Grey Knights vs Necrons last night. At 2000 points, I had 47 boots on the ground, two Rhinos and a DK with PT/Heavy Incinerator.

25 models is a ridiculously low model count- consider the Monolith's 24" range large blast template that will inflict instant death on your Paladins and the fact they can easily bring 3 of them to a 2000 point game with more than 50% of the points left to spend. Sure, the template will only ignore the 2+ armor save if the center hole of the template is right over the top of a model, so you will be getting your armor saves, but do you really want to be able to lose 2-4 paladins per monolith per turn?

Grey Knights have 2 weaknesses- lack of long range and low model count. Don't do your opponent a favor and make one of your weaknesses even worse.

The updated number of models for the Paladin based list is 31 models at 2000p. Playing a death star unit of paladins puts you in a very unpleasing situtation: you fear every S8 shot can annihilate your strategy.

As I mentioned above I'm willing to even ignore Terminators if I can deploy a competive force to fight this Necron opponent.

How did your DKwith PT/Heavy Incinerator perform?

It did fantastic. Every Necron I faced was Toughness 5 or better (Lord, Destroyer Lord, Immortals, Destroyers, Tomb Spiders. I Warp Quaked the Monolith to the furthest corner of the board so I didn't have to deal with any of his Warriors) so it had a better chance to wound than the regular shooting, and because the DK had the PT it easily had the range to place the template perfectly. I was getting whole units at a time with it.

Two turns of the Heavy Incinerator plus an Interceptor Squad's Psybolt Storm Bolters and a Purifier unit with 4x Psycannons knocked down his whole unit of Immortals twice. It took the Interceptors assaulting with Hammerhand to finally keep the unit down. If they were Marines it would have been a massacre.

When the Tomb Spider charged into the Inteceptors in retaliation, the DK hopped over there and counterattacked, destroying the Tomb Spider and the accompanying Scarab Swarm in one assault phase- I didn't even need to roll the Interceptors' attacks.

It only took one wound the entire game. It was only shot at in one phase, but to be fair, it was by 6 Destroyers, 2 Tomb Spiders and several Immortals.

It did fantastic. Every Necron I faced was Toughness 5 or better (Lord, Destroyer Lord, Immortals, Destroyers, Tomb Spiders. I Warp Quaked the Monolith to the furthest corner of the board so I didn't have to deal with any of his Warriors) so it had a better chance to wound than the regular shooting, and because the DK had the PT it easily had the range to place the template perfectly. I was getting whole units at a time with it.

Two turns of the Heavy Incinerator plus an Interceptor Squad's Psybolt Storm Bolters and a Purifier unit with 4x Psycannons knocked down his whole unit of Immortals twice. It took the Interceptors assaulting with Hammerhand to finally keep the unit down. If they were Marines it would have been a massacre.

When the Tomb Spider charged into the Inteceptors in retaliation, the DK hopped over there and counterattacked, destroying the Tomb Spider and the accompanying Scarab Swarm in one assault phase- I didn't even need to roll the Interceptors' attacks.

It only took one wound the entire game. It was only shot at in one phase, but to be fair, it was by 6 Destroyers, 2 Tomb Spiders and several Immortals.

I always wanted to play a PT Dreadknight but I was afraid to invest too much point for a model that will become a priority target for enemy heavy fire. I played twice a Heavy Incinerator-Heavy Psycannon and he was one of the best models of the entire match. You experience with PT makes me to be more confident with this DK set up.

Warp Quaking the Monolith is the very tactic I would use against it: 2 out of 6 chances to destroy it and 2/6 chances to deploy it where it is harmless.

Can you suggest me a competitive 2000p. anti-necron list?

I think a Vindicare can deal high damage. Then I need a suitable number of models( Draigo/Paladin death star can be tough but outnumbered and outgunned) ; heavy long range fire power to bring destroyers down; units with Warp Quake; transports for mobility.

In other words I need a "Shock and Awe" list :)

What do you suggest?

I'll get back to you on that after I get home from work tonight. :confused:

But really, I just follow the basics:

Put a lot of boots on the ground and invest in mobility.

Grey Knights have a range problem; if you don't give something a vehicle or some other means of deployment/movement (ie, deep striking Strike Squads) then you'll have trouble bringing all your firepower to bear. If you don't have something that can match the Destroyers' speed, they'll just keep you at arm's length and outrange you 36" to 24". Interceptors will perform excellently in this role, especially when equipped with Psybolts.

Purifiers are not necessary to take; Strike Squads are a solid choice for both boots on the ground and firepower, you'll just need to be careful not to spend too many points on them (one or two melee upgrades max; I recommend just a hammer) and to try and keep them out of assault with full strength units. They all have power weapons, yes, but they only get 1 attack each, 2 on a charge, so it would take them a very long time to go through a full unit (especially with an Orb nearby).

Dreadnoughts are a great way to enhance your long range firepower, particularly when equipped as Psyflemen, but don't expect them to do anything against a Monolith. I'd focus the Dreads' firepower on Destroyers or Tomb Spiders first, and then the tougher Necrons like Immortals.

Honestly, just keep the basics in mind as you list build, keep an eye on how each piece of the army supports the other pieces and how you want the army to work as a whole, and you can't be too far off the mark.

I'll get back to you on that after I get home from work tonight. :P

Thank You B)

Put a lot of boots on the ground and invest in mobility.

Grey Knights have a range problem; if you don't give something a vehicle or some other means of deployment/movement (ie, deep striking Strike Squads) then you'll have trouble bringing all your firepower to bear. If you don't have something that can match the Destroyers' speed, they'll just keep you at arm's length and outrange you 36" to 24". Interceptors will perform excellently in this role, especially when equipped with Psybolts.

A fast vehicle able to outrange destroyers is Stormraven. It can even move 24" and shot with a weapon. LasCannon/ Typhon ML seems a nice combination against 3+ armour saves but the numeber of shoits fired is modest.

Purifiers are not necessary to take; Strike Squads are a solid choice for both boots on the ground and firepower, you'll just need to be careful not to spend too many points on them (one or two melee upgrades max; I recommend just a hammer) and to try and keep them out of assault with full strength units. They all have power weapons, yes, but they only get 1 attack each, 2 on a charge, so it would take them a very long time to go through a full unit (especially with an Orb nearby).

Dreadnoughts are a great way to enhance your long range firepower, particularly when equipped as Psyflemen, but don't expect them to do anything against a Monolith. I'd focus the Dreads' firepower on Destroyers or Tomb Spiders first, and then the tougher Necrons like Immortals.

Do you suggest a melee dedicate unit or should I thin out necron ranks before charging with Strike Squads?

Dreads provide a great amout of firepower but with the psy- updated they cannot lower the AP to deny necron armor saves. Is that a problem?

So I'm a day late. And a dollar short. Story of my life!

A Stormraven can keep up with Destroyers and outrange them, yes, but it will be vulnerable to Heavy Destroyers as well as regular Gauss fire. If he can walk up a unit of Warriors and rapid fire them, they can glancing hit your Stormraven to death. (20 warriors = 40 shots = 26 hits = 4 or 5 glancing hits...) It also doesn't have the weight of fire needed to take down lots of Necrons at once unless you do the Typhoon/Plasmacannon/Hurricane Bolters, and even then you won't be able to fire both main weapons unless you only move it 6" or choose to fire the Typhoon as Frag, but then you won't be ignoring armor saves- it'll just be like more hits from the Hurricane Bolters. So like all things, when used right the Stormraven can do really well.

A dedicated melee unit can't hurt. Check out this list I wrote- it has DCA's as a dedicated melee unit, backed up by a Librarian and an Inquisitor bringing the grenades.

Archived