Counts-As Telion WIP (Order of the Silver Hands!)

Lemainus

I'm no sculptor, and as such, I rely on monkey-easy kitbashing to achieve my desired results.

I've had this Black Reach Captain lying around for months and I was never quite sure what exactly I was going to do with him, seeing as

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/Oh%20Dear/Ishmael%20the%20Lion/Picture51-1.jpg

I already have one running around...

but recently I've been messing around with my scouts and I realized that the AoBR captain is a dead ringer for a counts-as Telion. Good god just look at his glorious cloak. It will be tiger stripe, not Zebra stripe, because my boys are f***in' classy.

This is what I've got so far.... and a little progress has since been made - he has been given a crotch (important) and the sniper rifle has been created (equally important)

I'm still considering the posing, though! Should he be holding the sniper rifle with one hand, leaning it against his shoulder while pointing into the distance, snarkily quipping "that one down yonder, pop his marbles," or should he be more reserved and simply holding into his gun like everyone else in the squad is?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/TelionWIP.jpg

I'm also fairly certain I'm going to have to invest in a dremel tool to sort out his arms. Anyone converted this model before? Got any advice on brands? Does it even matter when it comes to dremels? Where are my socks?

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't telion have a special bolter rather than sniper rifle? I'm not sold on this, too much power armour for a scout, not that this isn't looking like the start of a great conversion.

I absolutly love this mini and have 20+ conversions of it (love eBay), for everyone of them I used no more than caution and a sharp (i always forget to cut AWAY from myself :cry: ) hobby knife. The conversions removed the elbows and sometimes the entire sholderpad, if you'd like some pics I can PM or post them here.

Cheers,

Jono

:huh:

Is that AoBR captain metal? How did you get a metal one?

the only way i know of is casting..

Considering his chapter is called 'Order of the Silver Hands' and his scheme mainly metallic, I'd say it's safe to assume Lemainus spray painted the mini accordingly. :whistling:

As has been said, idea to use the model to convert a Telion sounds nice. I'd go for the bolter on the shoulder.

Considering his chapter is called 'Order of the Silver Hands' and his scheme mainly metallic, I'd say it's safe to assume Lemainus spray painted the mini accordingly. :whistling:

Yeah your right, it looks painted as opposed to metal

As has been said, idea to use the model to convert a Telion sounds nice. I'd go for the bolter on the shoulder.

This is a ncie model, considering the lack of poses from AoBR set i really think they did a good job on the captain.. i look forward to seeing this done

:huh:

Is that AoBR captain metal? How did you get a metal one?

the only way i know of is casting..

Yeah, fair enough. On closer inspection it probably is spray painted silver. :geek:

It is indeed spray painted!

I started my crew with a double-order of AoBR Spehss Mareinz and saved my time on speed painting by applying black primer and then silver paint directly to entire sprues.

Anyways, I took the advice (kind of) of above posters and went for a more dynamic "I am leading the way" thing, as opposed to "I also am shooting but am in charge, just look at my big cape" thing.

He is roughly 70% done, I need to finish his face and tidy up / tighten the camo and figure out what. in the :tu:. I am going to do. On his back.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/Oh%20Dear/Scouts/TelionScoutSquad2.jpg

See? Ew. I was playing around making a ghillie hood, but he ended up looking like some roided out LRRP Raggedy Andy. So. Suggestions?

Anyways.

Progress so far:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/Oh%20Dear/Scouts/TelionScoutSquad1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/Oh%20Dear/Scouts/ScoutSergeantFenlain.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/Oh%20Dear/Scouts/ScoutSergeantFenlain2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/JohnnyK3886/Oh%20Dear/Scouts/TelionScoutSquad.jpg

Idea being... he is the most experienced scout sniper in the field - he leads the way by a couple meters, whacking through bush while the Initiates provide a progressive overwatch. He moves up, clears what needs clearing, they move to join at signal, rinse and repeat. Hence the axe. It is for trailblazing.

I was also thinking of splotching brown weathering powder all over his purity seals, so the flashy white doesn't clash with his camo. (In my fluff this would happen much to the chagrin of all Chaplains within the chapter, and there would be many a heated discussion as to whether or not putting dirt on purity seals is actually heresy.)

i really like the sniper bolter, very nice conversion there, as for the back, perhaps you can shave it down with a hobby knife, sand it flat, and make it just look like it is a part of the cloak?

Might end up doing that.

also may i ask how you made the bolter? it looks just like a sniper barrel glued to the front of a bolter but i could be wrong?

There are a few more bits involved than that:

Master crafted (ornate) bolter from the commander sprue

sniper scope from tactical sprue

shoulder stock from a Cadian jungle fighter lasgun (shortened to fit)

trimmed down rail to elevate the scope - it's just a thin thin rectangle of plastic trimmed to fit, snipped off a sprue.

annnnnnd the barrel is actually the shaft of a warhammer fantasy battle standard from High Elves army, I kid you not. Why I have one of those lying around, I can't even guess. I don't even play Fantasy. o_O

the camo and weathering for the gun is really simple - prime black, drybrush boltgun, highltight mythril, and then diagonal stripes of DA Green, Scorpion Green, Olive Drab, and whatever the GW color for "generic leather brown" is. Wash with badab, wash with really watery brown.

Ghillie material is actually just string that's been wrapped up and drybrushed in DA Green and Olive Drab, inked and secured with PVA.

Archived