Chaos Space Marine Punishers

Hey everyone these are some of my first chaos marines. For my first army i decided to do something fresh, that i have never seen before (besides art in the CSM codex). I have been on the B & C for a while but these are my first pics. Im hoping these are the first CSM Punishers to be seen by the world but we'll see. Feel free to comment and constructive criticism is welcome :)

gallery_59176_6055_2189997.jpg

moar pics on the way ^_^

Converted bits

gallery_59176_6055_43365.jpg

A marine ;)

gallery_59176_6055_23800.jpg

My First HQ (the green stuff on his feet that has been primed black is going to be fire)

gallery_59176_6055_1608180.jpg

rear view

gallery_59176_6055_39612.jpg

These are looking good Ben. I cant remember what the daemon prince looks like irl but from here it looks like it could use a couple washes in a few places. Such as the knee and arm. Other than that all I can say is you've improved alot since I got you started. ^_^

There looking good, but that thing that bugs me the most is that the Bleached Bone is REALLY thick and blotchy. Which I guess could have been solved with multiple THIN layers of paint and not one thickish layer, now, granted Bone color over a black undercoat is kind of hard, so why not try a white undercoat since 95% of your model is bone color, you could still paint the other areas black! Just food for thought! Good start though!

Laters

Looks great, but paint does seem a bit thick (Could just be the pic) Only think I can say is maybe add a bit more water to the paint, and do it in a couple of coats. The Wash idea is always an easy way to add "Depth" to a model.

My converted dreadnought (still working on the arms and finding a cool substitute for an extra close combat weapon). The heads is from the csm battleforce and was cut down a bit to fit the terminator chest piece. Bought the dreadnought used at my local store and stripped and began repainting and cutting. i thought the head would look really cool on a dreadnought so yeah. No name yet but any suggestions are encouraged ;)

gallery_59176_6055_88246.jpg

Here goes my first rhino. I totally messed up the hull while building it but i like the hand paintings. gotta go over some of the paint still and may green stuff over the gaps.

gallery_59176_6055_74851.jpg

Heres my vindicator. I really have enjoyed workin on it so far.

gallery_59176_6055_65215.jpg

Rear view

gallery_59176_6055_94643.jpg

Heres a close up on the banner i put on the front :HQ:

gallery_59176_6055_22311.jpg

more pics on the way :D

The Vindicator looks very good. I've got one sitting in my work area for 6 months now, begging to be painted. Nice job!

Don't worry about the rhino too much, every now and then we all mess one up a little bit. The last land raider I built has a gap in the rear that I need to fill in, too.

The Vindicator looks very good. I've got one sitting in my work area for 6 months now, begging to be painted. Nice job!

Don't worry about the rhino too much, every now and then we all mess one up a little bit. The last land raider I built has a gap in the rear that I need to fill in, too.

thanks i love the vindicator:)

Sorry to say, but I already started the punishers a few months back, so you're not the first. ^^;

Safe to say you have the first painted ones but not exactly the first.

Nice work on them though, although I feel it may look a bit cartoony. Not sure, maybe the thick highlights.

In regards to your thinning problem, I think it might have to do with the black prime. Are you just layering on lots of Bleached Bone? Because no matter how much you thin your paint, you're going to have to put waaaaay too many coats on to completely cover the primer.

My recommendation (if you already aren't using this method) is to use GW's bone technique outlined in the Astronomician article for painting Mannfred von Carstein. It's a simple and effective formula that makes bone look REALLY good and in very few, thin layers.

Basic technique:

1) 1:1 Calthan Brown/Charadon Granite basecoat

2) Badab Black Wash (repeat as desired)

3) Step 1 mix, keep out of the recesses

4) 2:2:1 CB/Bubonic Brown/Bleached Bone

5) 1:1 BuB/BleB (highlight)

6) Bleached Bone (fine highlight)

7) 1:1 BleB:Skull White (extreme highlight)

8) SW (If you really want the bone to pop)

Keep steps 5 and 6 fairly wet, with steps 7 and 8 very runny. For those last two, you'll want to pick some up on your brush and dab it 4-5 times on a napkin to get rid of the excess wetness - this will keep your highlights thin, and they won't run into recesses or other areas.

Sorry to say, but I already started the punishers a few months back, so you're not the first. ^^;

Safe to say you have the first painted ones but not exactly the first.

Nice work on them though, although I feel it may look a bit cartoony. Not sure, maybe the thick highlights.

First painted punishers ;)

and thanks yeah they could use some work

In regards to your thinning problem, I think it might have to do with the black prime. Are you just layering on lots of Bleached Bone? Because no matter how much you thin your paint, you're going to have to put waaaaay too many coats on to completely cover the primer.

My recommendation (if you already aren't using this method) is to use GW's bone technique outlined in the Astronomician article for painting Mannfred von Carstein. It's a simple and effective formula that makes bone look REALLY good and in very few, thin layers.

Basic technique:

1) 1:1 Calthan Brown/Charadon Granite basecoat

2) Badab Black Wash (repeat as desired)

3) Step 1 mix, keep out of the recesses

4) 2:2:1 CB/Bubonic Brown/Bleached Bone

5) 1:1 BuB/BleB (highlight)

6) Bleached Bone (fine highlight)

7) 1:1 BleB:Skull White (extreme highlight)

8) SW (If you really want the bone to pop)

Keep steps 5 and 6 fairly wet, with steps 7 and 8 very runny. For those last two, you'll want to pick some up on your brush and dab it 4-5 times on a napkin to get rid of the excess wetness - this will keep your highlights thin, and they won't run into recesses or other areas.

Yeah i was thinking of priming with white instead but this is much better!

Started the basic outline for a handpainted banner on the back of the first rhino. going to be a punisher's style skeletal arm holding an astartes skull.

gallery_59176_6055_95365.jpg

second rhino (still need to do some touch ups and re painting. especially the metalics)

gallery_59176_6055_64664.jpg

Done a bit more work on the dreadnought. still working on the close combat weapon and the flamer arm.

gallery_59176_6055_43272.jpg

picked up my first land raider as well :lol:

gallery_59176_6055_50966.jpg

Im planning on doing an elaborate hand painting on the side of the land raider. not so sure of what yet

Looking good, though the printed picture/diagram always looks slightly 'warmer' - a bit more of a brownish tinge to the bone colour. Perhaps the mix MattCrawford suggested would achieve that effect, if you even want it. (That method should also allow for shading that doesn't rely on blackline, in turn making the chaos black bone markings stand out even more.)

I think if you had the time you could also improve the free hand a little by following this guys technique for chaos stars: http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2...bonus-post.html

I also really like the head used on the dreadnought. Not sure why. It just seems to work well.

finally i got around to a little more work. (a little)

started the las cannon marine

gallery_59176_6055_63478.jpg

gallery_59176_6055_73102.jpg

Almost done with the first termie (yeah im a slow worker ;) )

gallery_59176_6055_58888.jpg

iconnnnnnnn

gallery_59176_6055_21604.jpg

more work to come (i have been doing a little work on my world eaters too so im not totally slow i guess ;) )

Archived