My Thunderwolf Cavalry

Hey guys!

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since Throne of Skulls and seeing as I spent the week prior to that slaving over these beasties, I figured I'd post them up here. Their not finished yet, but finding the time/will power to get their painting done is difficult at the moment.

As for how I did them, well in short... a box of plastic Khorne Juggernaughts and a couple of packs of greenstuff. Spent a lot of time removing all the spikes and chaos icons, then sculpted the fur. The riders are just normal marines with the insides of their legs hacked away to make them fit, and have since getting back used greenstuff to resculpt their legs, so that's looking a bit better.

Enjoy,

Tom.

p.s. sorry for the poor picture quality, these were taken on my mobile. Will take some better photos when they're finished.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216505_10150167373544614_597609613_6480504_1794885_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224219_10150167373684614_597609613_6480505_3839174_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215368_10150167373764614_597609613_6480506_885752_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223565_10150167373859614_597609613_6480507_4068353_n.jpg

:P :(

Ok, the constructive comments: Nice effort, green stuff work seems solid, and the painting even looks great.

The Down Side: They still look like Juggernauts, the head is way to broad and flat, and the front leg shoulder armor screams Khorne. I have no thoughts on how to make it work better short of cutting the armor pads off and doing a full green stuff replacement.

However at the end of the day, they work for THC, are well painted and have great greenstuff work. So long as your happy who cares!

I did my own the same way, but with a few modifications. First thing I did was to cut down the throat peice to put the head a bit higher up. Once you cover it with GS it looks much better IMO then the regular head position. Second was to cut down the shoulder plates about half way and put GS-fur over the upper part. That way you take away a lot of the crusher-look and at the same time get a good wolfy look. Then it is a simple matter of widening the head at the part closest to the body bu putting large rolls of GS all around the head/neck. Hope you get some tips from this.

They still look good tough, and I agree with Tybrus about that it is solid work, but looks a bit too much as crushers. I had the same problem with my first one, but the above solved some of the issues with the next two. I'd also like to add the thought of making the nose a bit more wolf-like. Just roll some GS to a ball and flatten in until you get the right shape.

Keep it up, I'd love to see more.

- Natanael

Thanks for the reply guys! Good comments and will definitely take them on if I get around to converting some more. I know these aren't as great as they could be, but I had 3 days prior to Throne of Skulls to get them finished, and barely managed in time (it was my first time working with green stuff, so that was a sharp learning curve.) so all in all I'm fairly happy with how they came out.

Hey, Normish! I haven't seen you in awhile. I passed 1460 like you asked. :rolleyes:

I tend to explain any Blood Crusher resemblance as a tribute to the fact that their supposed to be wolf and machine combo.

So I see, good God. I have been away for too long.

Are Thunderwolves supposed to be machine-wolves?

Archived