brother captain Nathanael Garro

synapse

Brother Captain Nathanael Garro; Captain of the 7th Great Company of the Death Guard

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM3202.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM3203.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM3204.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM3205.jpg

well, ive always been a fan of the Death Guard, and Garro in particulat (nothing to do with the fact that we share a name :)), so during my current truescale project (for more, see here, i made a marine body that i didnt think would fit in with the Howling Griffons i was making, and thought it would look good for Garro:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM3171.jpg

im still not too sure on the chest - apart from the fact that its description on the books is open to interpretation, i think it might have come a bit too big. though this was my third (and best) attempt at the chest i decided to keep it as is. im rather pleased with the model overall, particularly the shoulder pads and the cloak (which still requires some work on it), though ill post up pics as i mmake further progress. looking forward to painting the pre-heresy DG colours on this guy.

C&C welcome

Nice work mate and from the looks of things quite an interesting selection of puty, are you using white (superfine) Milliput? I know how you feel with the wings on your sculpt its the same thing thats curently driving me nuts :) , looks like you have made a good job of it on yours. Whats Brown Stuff like to work with?

Nice work mate and from the looks of things quite an interesting selection of puty, are you using white (superfine) Milliput? I know how you feel with the wings on your sculpt its the same thing thats curently driving me nuts :) , looks like you have made a good job of it on yours. Whats Brown Stuff like to work with?

yep, theres GS, procreate (the base for the torso), milliput (not wure which, though pretty sure you're right) and brown stuff. generally i just tend to grab whats closest, though ive come to use milliput almost exclusively on cloaks/cloth due to the way it shapes (adding water makes it more runny, which i find is good for that). the brown stuff is just like GS though dries a lot stiffer - making sanding/filing easier once its dry and it holds a sharp edge better than GS.

Any chance that you could fix that without reposing the entire model?

after having a look at the model in my hand, i dont think there's much of a problem; it mostly seems to be in that specific angel (the shins seems to come down at an angle towards each other due to the pose). i think once the model is based and the rest of the detail is added to the tabard it should look better.

Must see paint. And remember: Post-Eisenstein he doesn't have DG markings, just bare ceramite (iirc). :tu:

it ain't completely bare, according to the Garro audio books he's got the seal of Malcador the Sigillite on his shoulder pad, (looks like the inquisition's "I" from what i gathered from the audio books) but it's laser etched or something, so it's not as obvious as a normal legion marking.

and he looks fantastic synapse. just like the artwork from 'oath of moment' :(

Question: Is he from after his return to Terra or prior to. The reason I as is before his return to Terra no legions besides the EC were allowed to wear the Aquilla (like the one of his chest). However, After his return I know his armor changed. I have listened to one of the Audio books and I agree from the sound of the book his shoulder had the Inquisition "I" that was Malcador's personal symbol.

Question: Is he from after his return to Terra or prior to. The reason I as is before his return to Terra no legions besides the EC were allowed to wear the Aquilla (like the one of his chest). However, After his return I know his armor changed. I have listened to one of the Audio books and I agree from the sound of the book his shoulder had the Inquisition "I" that was Malcador's personal symbol.

if i recall correctly, there were members in different legions who hailed from terra and not from the respective legion homeworlds and as "sons of terra" were allowed to wear the eagle on their chest.

well, its after he got the armour (specifically mentioned as having an eagle on the chest and back - i otherwise certainly wouldnt put an eagle onto a DG marine), though i was hoping on still painting him in DG colours, with the sigillite I on his left shoulder, replacing the chapter symbol (or superimposed over it). ill be honest, my memory of the books is slightly blurry and i havent read many of the more recent ones

@synapse

In all fairness the info I'm going on is from the audio books, which further Garro's story. If you want to paint him a certain way it's up to you, brother. It's your model after all.

@Wicced

Yes, you're right, he has the Sigillite's seal. I must say it was a revelation to find out it was a stylised 'I'. :D

Garro always had the eagle.

thanks, im glad at least one person didnt say 'only EC's had eagles back then...

I know from reading it somewhere it was a gift, apparently gives him some kind of foresight

And brilliant model, inspires me to try and make one!

Synapse, great as usual. The Eagle cuirass, from what I recall, was a gift from Mortarion and is dated back to the Dusk Raiders. It's an extreme honor, as is that of being selected as Captain of the 7th. It's said to represent foresight but doesn't actually give it to him. I believe this is shown with the eagle head both looking forward and sighted (same as the one on his back) not backward. So technically his cuirass does not have a double headed eagle, but a single headed one.

Garro always had the eagle.

thanks, im glad at least one person didnt say 'only EC's had eagles back then...

if i recall correctly, there were members in different legions who hailed from terra and not from the respective legion homeworlds and as "sons of terra" were allowed to wear the eagle on their chest.

i'm a little offended, even if i'm traitor legion, i'm still a person :lol:

Hahaha hurting a traitors feelings?

Your both right though, just like anything the stories don't match up.

I read in one of the dozens of HH books that in fact the EC were the only ones allowed the Aquila and no I'm not going to look through all those for the quote.

and yet...

in every portrait we see of our Brother Captain he looks pretty much exactly like Synapse has done here. As we all know stories change from place to place just my say not that it means much. Maybe its a timeline thing I dunno.

In all honestly does it matter? More pics of this guy please! :D

i'm a little offended, even if i'm traitor legion, i'm still a person :)

sorry, didnt mean to piss anyone off, but ive heard that line about the ECs being the only legion able to wear the eagle so many times since their index astartes article came out (the first place i can remember reading it), that its become a little annoying. we all know how often GW and BL like to contradict themselves that nothing is set in stone, so to speak, and as mentioned above just because theyre the only legionallowed the eagle, thats not to say that individuals amongst other legions cannot also have one. same with the crux and purity seals; im sure that things that look the same but whose names hadnt yet evolved into those we now use existed back then.

regarding the chest eagle, after reading peoples comments, im thinking of replacing the double head with a single one, though am not exactly sure how.

alright, and don't worry, as a night lord i'm pissed of on a daily basis :huh:

but if you want to avoid the wrath of the 8th legion, just paint your gorgeous built garro with a brilliant paintjob and we'll call off the crusade :(

as for the eagle, i think it looks good with to heads!

if you don't like it anymore, you could try to model one from green stuff.

Awesome modeling job and skills, but... wouldn't that giant chest ornamentation get in the way of things like fighting? His shoulderpads would be banging into it constantly. He wouldn't be able to hold a bolter properly at the shoulder, either.

Archived