Aspiring champions and combi weapons?

Am thinking of getting a champion for a 10 man unit with tzeentch, plasma gun and missile launcher, it will be sitting on an objective, using the missile launcher and plasma gun to provide support, and thinking of giving him a power fist and a combi weapon, but not sure which one, flamer for help agaiinst hoardes, or a melta against the odd tank/dread/termi or just a combi plasma for unleasing 2 plasma shots into a power or terminator enemy squad?

have also seen people suggest apsiring champions for havok squads, are they actually any good? I understand the extra attack could help, but for the same cost you can get an extra guy who would proberbly be better in all aspects, the only use I can think is the use of a cheap sacrifice to bring a greater deamon in to help protect the havoks from deep strikers and reserve attacks (or the swarm of hormaguants that manages to get through to them, though perhaps him having a combi flamer could help as well before he gets sacrificed won't take any close combat weapons for him, if I do.) Any advice?

Banner of Tz is too expensive for what it does, esp considering that if the objective is in some kind of cover they get 4+ invul anyway. It would have to save 3 guys b4 it made it's points back, and since it only gives them a 33% chance, that won't happen. A champ for a camper squad does not make sense and is not worth the pts.

Don't know who suggested putting a champ in a havoc squad, but that doesn't make sense either. Once a havoc squad is engaged in hth they are done, an asp champ in the squad doesn't change that. As for the GD, a GD is a bad investment anyway, having one hanging out in your backfield is even worse.

Butting a champ in a camper or any hvy weapn squad is a poor use of pts.

The only reason you'd need a champion in a havoc squad is if you're running them with assault weapons in mid-field. I used to run one with my autocannon squad and his only real purpose was adding that LDR 10. If you just stick glory on the squad, you get re-rollable ldr 9 and a spot to drop a small daemon squad to camp your objective instead of a huge, expensive 10 man squad. I'd forget the tzeentch champ unless you're planning on getting midfield and using the rest of those bodies to help out in some way.

the main reason I was thinking of taking one, is that despite siting back on an objective, that squad always ends up being assaulted (usually by deepstrikers, though jump infantry and huge swarms ahve done it as well some time) last game I had they almost got charged by mephistion (he failed his difficult terrian test, and was just killed by them, only just) and was wondering which champ people have had more succcess with (also I am fed up of my squads getting cought by dreads that tear them apart with no fear of reprisal.)

I camp objectives with an IoCG, AC, Plasmagun, Combi-Plasma and Fist. Not too pricey, but puts the hurt on things coming close, and pops light armour like nobody's business. Fist is for "just in case"s, but you can drop it if you need the extra points, it's saved me more than I can mention though, like in my last game VS Orks, where it ID'd two Meganobs and took a CCW off a Dread before getting munched.

Archived