Grey Knights: Fighting Orks

Cmdr Shepard

To be honest I just recently had a 2k battle vs an ork army and caused him to forfeit end of turn 1... I know its not very popular but the dreadknight with personal teleporter and heavy incinerator is only 235 and was instrumental in de-meching my opponent right away. As a heavy incinerator will pen a truck on 5+ (and killed 2 trucks) then the vindicare killed his battle wagon... so if you have one I would heavily suggest the dreadknight its too useful to ignore, and for assassins I vote for the vindicare.

To be honest I just recently had a 2k battle vs an ork army and caused him to forfeit end of turn 1... I know its not very popular but the dreadknight with personal teleporter and heavy incinerator is only 235 and was instrumental in de-meching my opponent right away. As a heavy incinerator will pen a truck on 5+ (and killed 2 trucks) then the vindicare killed his battle wagon... so if you have one I would heavily suggest the dreadknight its too useful to ignore, and for assassins I vote for the vindicare.

Your opions about the DreadKnight are very appreacited. Personally I love the concept behind that unit. I started my 5th edition Grey Knights career including a DK in every list I played, even though it was a Heavy Incinerator/Heavy Psycannon set up. ( I have three DK with various weapons)

In the first match against BA he nearly destroyed every troop unit on the table, spearhead deployment, before joining Draigo and Paladins, one of the few times I played paladins, in CC killing one or two SH/TH terminators.

In the second match he came under have fire by obliterators and he was my only casualty. He survived 3 turns cleaning an objective from berserkers.

I stopped to play DK because I recently tried several lists and I wanted to stay away from "bullet magnets", at least for a while :lol:

Your experience with DK against orks is enlightening. I should field it in place of a Land Raider, maybe. AV 14 can be a real pain for many ork units, though. The only obstacle for the DK are lootas. They fire a lot of S7 shots. I was forgetting about the Big Mek's weapon that forces you to remove any hit model on a roll of double 6 but it's not very common. Many ork players I know prefer the Thraka/ boyz hordes armies.

Did you send your DK in Close Combat? If you did how did he perform?

My DK never made close combat due to using the shunt move turn 1, the incinerator then fried 2 trucks 2 grethchn and killed 4 orks and 2 more gretchen in the ensuing explosions, it promptly died to 3 zapguns and lady luck being finicky, but it locked almost 1/2 of his army in his deployment zone in spearhead. When the vindicare fried the battlewagon he only had 1 mobile truck left and I had mordock, 5 ghost knights and a libby in his bikes faces. He conceded after he failed to tank-shock my hq guys off the table.

When i read the GK codex i thought there going to have problems with orks Gaz isnt an eternal warrior he is just immune to instant deaths. orks dont care if you have weapons that heightens your initiative or if your weapons are power weapons due to ork having lower initiative and a rubbish armour save. for 2000 points your opponent can easily have 180 boys all with a nob with klaw and still have half his points left. Ironically i think nob bikers will be easy or at least easier for GK to deal with were as a green tide army imo will run over a grey knight army 2+ armour saves dont count fo alot when a waagh'ing mob of 30 boyz throws out 120 attacks at strength 4. I dont know how grey knights will deal with orks but let use know how you got on.

I'm sorry Darkmagi, but he gave up after one turn? He gave up because his mech was down and you had some guys in his deployment zone? What about the rest of his army? Easy to get to midfield, especially with Waagh! if using a Warlord? Did you even attempt to encourage him to continue playing until Turn 5. I know that I won't ever give up, or accept giving up from my opponent until at least Turn 5. There is always something to do, something to try, or some fun to be had from the game. If I had set up and played out one game turn, to have my opponent give up I would be furious, all that effort for hardly any of the game. There's no fun to be had for giving up Turn 1, from either player. I know that if I, and many of my friends, find ourselves in tough situations we'll continue to play and attempt to get out of it, we don't just throw in the towel.

... You do realise that Grey Knights can also shoot insanely well on the move? In an army where everyone's got a storm bolter (S5 if you roll that way), inflicting casualties on enemy infantry becomes a very easy endeavor. Add into that some serious ranged firepower support in the form of psyrifle dreads (easily obliterates trukks, kans, and dreads), very cheap close combat options (Arco-flagellants and Death Cult Assassins), grenades and psychic powers that seem tailor made for killing lots of low quality models, and we've got us a serious anti-ork army.

I'm sorry Darkmagi, but he gave up after one turn? He gave up because his mech was down and you had some guys in his deployment zone? What about the rest of his army? Easy to get to midfield, especially with Waagh! if using a Warlord? Did you even attempt to encourage him to continue playing until Turn 5. I know that I won't ever give up, or accept giving up from my opponent until at least Turn 5. There is always something to do, something to try, or some fun to be had from the game. If I had set up and played out one game turn, to have my opponent give up I would be furious, all that effort for hardly any of the game. There's no fun to be had for giving up Turn 1, from either player. I know that if I, and many of my friends, find ourselves in tough situations we'll continue to play and attempt to get out of it, we don't just throw in the towel.

warboss was next to my hq, his entire army was stuck behind the wreck or a battlewagon and a truck he deployed in a row, looted tank, truck (another truck behind this one), battle wagon, truck (another truck behind this one) the front 2 trucks and the battlewagon were wrecks and he deployed in a canyon so was going to take him 2 turns just to get outa his deployment zone.... (btw these were the arguments he gave I wanted to continue the game) i would have preferred to continue but he refused...

I always encourage my opponents tyo never give up, nor I do it myself. There is always, and I say always, a way to have fun or to something to learn about tactics or rules. Except when my opponent have to leave the game at a certain moment due to personal matters. Warhammer 40k is a game and sometimes a player does not have the entire day to play it.

For my experience, unless you have no more minis on the table, you can still fight.

... You do realise that Grey Knights can also shoot insanely well on the move? In an army where everyone's got a storm bolter (S5 if you roll that way), inflicting casualties on enemy infantry becomes a very easy endeavor. Add into that some serious ranged firepower support in the form of psyrifle dreads (easily obliterates trukks, kans, and dreads), very cheap close combat options (Arco-flagellants and Death Cult Assassins), grenades and psychic powers that seem tailor made for killing lots of low quality models, and we've got us a serious anti-ork army.

I played 7-8 games with my GK and I have to agree about the "shoot insanely well on the move". The "humble" stormbolter is one of GK best strenghts. I killed an entire 5 men squad of Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield terminators with stormbolter fire. Not in single turn but it's not unusual to fail 2+ saves when you hit by so many shots.

A 10 men squad, with only a psycannon (I really like that weapon), can deliver 18 stormbolter shots on the move per turn.

In a standard Space Marine army you can equip only IC or sergeants with stormbolters (If I remember correctly): it's not enough to appreciated the usefulness of stormbolters but GK are different...

Archived