Strategies against orks, using ultramarines

jaxjace

my friend and i have recently started playing, we got the black reach set, PLUS some more,

hes got at least 35 boyz(4 shootas) 10 nobs 3 defcopters a warboss

I have...

1 dreadnaught -multimelta, powerfist, storm bolter

1 Rhino -storm bolter, smoke canisters

2 combat squads +2 sergeants -1 flamer and missle launcher EACH

1 combat squad 6 man basic bolters

1 scout sergeant

1 space marine captain -power sword and master crafted bolter

1 terminator squad -power fists and storm bolters +1 veteren terminator Sergent with power sword and storm bolter

he outnumbers me greatly but i outgun him.

Sorry to disappoint you but Space Marine Captains can't take master-crafted boltguns, we used to be able to, but no longer. We do, however, get something better, hellfire rounds! So your Captain hits on 2s and wounds on 2s. By the sounds of it you have the Black Reach Captain, just so you know that power sword seems to be a decent size to be a relic blade, I'd use it as such. You don't get +1A with your boltgun, so you're not losing anything with taking the relic blade. Otherwise it's a S6 power weapon, and therefore really worth it, as you're now wounding on 2s against most infantry in combat.

As for tactics, as has been said, shoot them. Let them come to you, but make it so that they can't skip rapid fire range. Try to stay 13" away from them until you're ready to engage in combat. Don't be afraid to charge them in combat either, if you charge them they're only S3 and still hit after you, and with their poor armour save and your really good you should be fine. Just don't let them charge you, because then each basic Boy is hitting with S4 and 4 attacks each, and a big group of them will take your Marines out. Missile launchers are good for insta-killing his multi-wound models, while also being able to put dents in his hordes, alongside flamers. Keep it disciplined, and finish off units, don't leave multiple units crippled. And of course, best of luck, because in the end it's about dice.

As for tactics, as has been said, shoot them. Let them come to you, but make it so that they can't skip rapid fire range. Try to stay 13" away from them until you're ready to engage in combat.

I'd say more like 16'', potentially 18'', if he hasn't used his WAAAGH thingy.

Orks with fleet suck. Especially since it ignores difficult. terrain rolls.

Right you are, I was going to mention that, but it slipped my mind. WAAAGH is a very nasty ability and should be considered when fighting Orks.

well they shall know no fear sooooooo

no really whats the ability. also should i focus on taking individual squads out completely or spreading it out and damaging the whole lot of em

also should i focus on taking individual squads out completely or spreading it out and damaging the whole lot of em

Keep it disciplined, and finish off units, don't leave multiple units crippled. And of course, best of luck, because in the end it's about dice.

I posted this earlier in this thread ^_^.

perhaps a battle-force? at 45 dollars it seems like a good deal to me with a tac squad with missile and flame and a combat squad and a assault squad and a scout squad and a rhino and of course BITZ!!!!!!!!!!!

that gives me a grand total of 3 tac squads

a six man scout squad

an assault squad

2 rhinos

termie squad

captain

and bitzbitzbitzbitzbitz :D

It's certainly worth considering, as it is decent value for money. Just make sure you're going to use all the parts there for a time, you don't want to pay £50 for another Tactical squad and Rhino!

In total, getting the extra Rhino is good, as is getting the extra Tactical squad. More Scouts isn't bad, especially as you can buy a Storm and stick a combat squad in them. The Assault squad would require further investment to make it worth it, as you really need 10 guys, and even then they act as a cleaner unit. Although I have heard of an idea whereby you take 5 with a flamer, maybe a fist, take their jump packs off, claim the free Rhino, and then stick your HQ unit with them and use them as a cheap bodyguard. Might be worth looking into. Just don't expect them to take on Terminators :D.

As for bitz, bitz is very good, I've got a lot of bitz, but never the bitz I want apparently.

i could actually use a couple more bolt pistols and arms, because i want 1 of my scout sergeants to have pistol ans well as my combat squad Sergent, i mean a chainsword is great but, a bolt pistol helps :D

See if you can get the cyclone bit for yer terminators. It just glues on top of one of them, and for 30 points you get a two shot relentless missile launcher.

Please tell me where you can get the battleforce for $45. They are more like $90 here. And yeah, tactical terminators become a lot better with the missile launcher and you should be able to pick that up from e-bay or a bits dealer fairly cheap.

-Myst

Please tell me where you can get the battleforce for $45. They are more like $90 here. And yeah, tactical terminators become a lot better with the missile launcher and you should be able to pick that up from e-bay or a bits dealer fairly cheap.

-Myst

They're about £50 here :D.

Mind you, I've looked on bitz sites like bitz box for cyclones, tend to be £5 or around about that from what I've seen. That said, could be worth it, especially when you consider how powerful they in pairs.

-Myst

They're about £50 here :P.

Yeah, but that's equivalent to $81.83 (according to Google), so not far off from what we pay. $45, on the other hand, would be incredible. If this deal exists, I must know where to find it.

i found it on some british wargaming website ALOOOTTTTT cheaper than gw

That is really good then, because if it's $45 just imagine how many pounds that is ^_^

Archived