Shadow in the Warp 666

If a Psyker rolls for a psychic power within 12" of a Tyranid Synapse creature, he has to take his psychic test on 3D6.

If he rolls a double 1 or a double 6, he takes a Perils of the Warp wound as normal.

What if he rolls triple 1 or 6? The Tyranid codex says:

...and will suffer a Perils of the Warp attack on the roll of ANY double 1 or double 6

(My emphasis on 'any')

I would say that 6,6,6 is three double sixes; in Cribbage you score for three pairs from a triple, and 5,5,10,10 counts as 4 "15"s.

If so, does this mean that the Psyker takes 3 Perils wounds? If it is only 1 wound, the choice of the word "any" seems poor.

I would be interested to hear other opinions though! Or a link to a previous thread if this has already been discussed or FAQ'ed :lol:

"Any" is poor. I'm going to bet my lunch money that they only mean you take a single perils. Of course, if he had simply addressed "if you roll a triple it's still only a single Perils..." then we'd be fine...

It is worded the same as Pinning weapons :

If a unit other than a vehicle suffer sany unsaved wounds from a pinning weapon, it must immediately take a Pinning test.

And that has been FAQd to only have 1 test regardless of the number of Pinning wounds caused by units with Sniper weapons. I would conclude it's the same deal.

I promote just one peril, dispite multiple ones being fluffy (the shadow in the warp beats psychers so hard its not even funny). you should only use the "a triple is three doubles" argument on the asses that try to argue that a triple is not a double at all, and therefor not a peril. They get the tripple treatment.

...You should only use the "a triple is three doubles" argument on the asses that try to argue that a triple is not a double at all, and therefore not a peril. They get the triple treatment.

I like that one!

I agree, three PotW wounds is a bit cheeky, but better wording or an FAQ would help!

The same consensus has been reached on thetyranidhive this afternoon.

If a Psyker rolls for a psychic power within 12" of a Tyranid Synapse creature, he has to take his psychic test on 3D6.

If he rolls a double 1 or a double 6, he takes a Perils of the Warp wound as normal.

What if he rolls triple 1 or 6? The Tyranid codex says:

...and will suffer a Perils of the Warp attack on the roll of ANY double 1 or double 6

(My emphasis on 'any')

I would say that 6,6,6 is three double sixes; in Cribbage you score for three pairs from a triple, and 5,5,10,10 counts as 4 "15"s.

If so, does this mean that the Psyker takes 3 Perils wounds? If it is only 1 wound, the choice of the word "any" seems poor.

I would be interested to hear other opinions though! Or a link to a previous thread if this has already been discussed or FAQ'ed ;)

First off this isn't Cribbage so put your matchsticks away!

Plus any dictionary will tell that a triple is not a double or that a double is not a triple. RAW.

This is similar to Move through Cover when rolled on 3d6, and the roll is 6,6,6 and you don't get to move 18" just 6".

Archived