Test BA Tactical Marine

Gv0zD

Hi, everybody!

Just finished painting my first marine from my new army and I've chosen to follow the color scheme from Codex: Angels of Death. By the way, this is my first mini finished in 4 years. Looks like my skills haven't decreased after all :huh:

gallery_33097_5776_13748.jpg

gallery_33097_5776_14795.jpg

The images are not of highest quality - made with my Nokia 5800, and with mediocre lightning, but all details are shown.

Yes, that is the best scheme. I prefer the wings to be gold, and probably the skull should be skull-coloured, but it is so much more inspiring than the current version. I wish they wouldn't change these things....

Yes, that is the best scheme. I prefer the wings to be gold, and probably the skull should be skull-coloured, but it is so much more inspiring than the current version. I wish they wouldn't change these things....

The wings are gold, it's my phone camera that makes them yellow :huh:

Yeah that does look oldschool. I'll always paint the black edge on the shoulder pads, I actually think that the new way of painting them all red looks good but as I've been into 40k since the first edition I think I should honour that and paint them the way they were rather than the way they are.

Not a bad test mini at all. One innovation of the last couple of years you might find useful are better premade washes. I used blacklining for shading for a long time but have found that I can get much more dynamic and gradiated shading on my BAs with Badab Black. Actually takes the same amount of time as I don't have to be as careful. Something to think about.

I personally enjoy the new paint scheme, but that is probably because i started my angles about November or December of 2010. I enjoy the new color scheem, but my honer guard will have gold helmets, and my veterans will have orange.

@ Brightguy: I actually used washes for blacklining, not Badab Black, however. But they didn't work too well so i had to paint the lines manually - hard and time-consuming, but it a great training for my hands -_- Anyway thanks for the idea and kind words!

Shading recesses with black paint rather than darkened paint or a wash. Literally painting a black line in the armor joints and elsewhere to create the visual separation. Creates bold contrasts, but is fiddly as it's very easy to overpaint and require touch up work. Also not great at creating subtle gradations in my opinion. That said, looks good from a distance and popular for fast tabletop quality painting.

I actually think that the new way of painting them all red looks good but as I've been into 40k since the first edition I think I should honour that and paint them the way they were rather than the way they are.

Actually RT made a big issue out of full dress uniform vs campaign scheme, the former had black trims but they were often omitted from the latter:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/ba1st.jpg

Shading recesses with black paint rather than darkened paint or a wash. Literally painting a black line in the armor joints and elsewhere to create the visual separation. Creates bold contrasts, but is fiddly as it's very easy to overpaint and require touch up work. Also not great at creating subtle gradations in my opinion. That said, looks good from a distance and popular for fast tabletop quality painting.

As I said, I tried washes, but the effect was not very satisfactory. Black paint creates the desired contrast, but overpainting is an issue. I had to apply another layer of red to correct the excess of black paint. But overall I am very satisfed with the result. The model looks great on the table and up close too. The phone's flash is too bright nd spoils the colors, but this all I have now ;)

Very nice G O D!

Wait...?:

this is my first mini finished in 4 years.
Say it ain't so!!!

You had better get some paint and maybe some flock on that base, and then on with the next!

Thanks a lot! It's so good to see such positive reaction! Yep, it's my first mini in 4 years or so ;)

As for te base, I wanna make it look like asphalt or concrete, i.e. city landscape.

I love old school and still use it myself. The only 'moderisation' I use is that the yellow is now gold. Shining gold with a devlan mud wash and the skulls are usually silver with a black wash. It is a little like the ultramarines update that they recieved for 4th edition.

Basically I think that the black trim breaks up the red and the gold adds a little life. Super easy to paint too!

If the wings are gold the colour scheme is perfect (i was looking at it on my lap-top and the colour comes out poorly). I have only recently discovered how good Devlan mud is as a wash for metalic gold. I think it works beatifully with the designs like the wings and gold chains where there are lots of shadowed areas.

If the wings are gold the colour scheme is perfect (i was looking at it on my lap-top and the colour comes out poorly). I have only recently discovered how good Devlan mud is as a wash for metalic gold. I think it works beatifully with the designs like the wings and gold chains where there are lots of shadowed areas.

Well, I was experimenting with different types of gold actually. The skulls on bolter, helmet and backpack are painted with Shining Gold over Bestial Brown, so the color there is deep. The chest eagle was painted firstly with Blazing Orange, then a mix of Blazing Orange and Golden Yellow and only then was drybruhed with Shining Gold - I wanted to have brighter gold, almost metallic yellow. And the flash made it look simply yellow ;)

Leviathan purple is amazing over gold too, you have to try it.

Sorry a bit off-topic but... Really? Do you have any pictures of that to share? I'm trying to piece together how that would look in my head and failing.

Sorry a bit off-topic but... Really? Do you have any pictures of that to share? I'm trying to piece together how that would look in my head and failing.

I don't have any pics yet, a friend who works at my LGW told me about it for painting gold armour! I'm painting Dante today so I'll take some pics if I remember.

EDIT: I think it may be a typical GW technique but I'm not sure, it doesn't actually look purple I don't think, it just looks good for a contrast.

As far as I can remember I'm sure he said to undercoat with chaos black then base with calthan brown (although I'm not sure if he said to do this or just go straight on with the gold) then paint the model shining gold (I'll probably dry brush) then use leviathan purple to get into the recesses and then highlight with burnished gold and a 1:1 mix of burnished gold and mithril silver on the places where the light would hit. Hope this helps.

1Drop, thanks for that, I'll give it a go! :thanks:

Cool.. When I think about it, it's probably a good idea to base with the calthan first, but I dunno, what do you think?

EDIT: it's chaos black undercoat then straight on with the shining gold according to the GW tutorial, I still don't remember if he said to base it with calthan brown first or not, I'm pretty sure he did.

EDIT: I'm painting my Dante now and I undercoater with chaos black spray then based with calthan brown and I'm onto the shining gold now and I must say that the calthan really does add some extra depth so I would advise to use the brown foundation.

Archived