Decals

Soaking the decals for longer than they need is useless, and might actually hurt you even more as it may dilute the adhesive more. Usually when I do my decals, I dunk them just long enough until the paper soaks through and then let them sit in a plastic blister until they slide freely around the paper. I don't leave them floating around in the water... and it usually only take 10-20 sec.

Are you applying the decals the right way? The adhesive is on the side facing the paper, not up. So you slide them from the paper to the surface you're applying them to. I've never had anything like that before, unless it was something like an old model that had been handled a lot. Using micro-set and -sol can help a lot too, as they are great products and work wonders.

Lots of good decal tutorials to be had if you search online and here, I'm sure. I'll shamelessly plug a blog entry I did;

http://rednekkzmekshop.blogspot.com/2011/0...smade-easy.html

evileyevirtue has some good points. Softening/setting agents like Microsol or Solvaset (my personal fav) are a great tool. And can be found at most hobby or craft stores (Micheals,Hobby Lobby etc) Like anything, you have to expect to mess up a few times. Prepping the surface for the decal is important too. Seamless decals are more easily gotten with a gloss varnish underneath, less chance of airbubbles or 'flash". The big thing is patience. I suggest some web research, especially from sources about scale model building.

It simply cannot be stated enough how useless the GW decals are without any kind of disolving agents - ESPECIALLY for Space Marine shoulders. Out of the box the decals are simply useless. I bought some Microset and Microsol (cost me about 4-5 euros total) and using decals is now a breeze. One of the best buys I ever made in this hobby. :rolleyes: Using search or even google you should be able to find tons of tutorials of how to use decals proper. Good luck! :P

Another tip that might help is to not soak your decal. I use a wet palette. I just put the decal on the wet foam and let it soak from the back side. I don't have to fish the decal out that way. I also don't have to worry about it detaching and floating at the top of the water. The Micro-sol Micro-set advice is the best you will need though. Get it, use it, love it.

Archived