The Ultra A-Team

DrMidas

Picasa Album with all images

CIMG0503.JPG

These gents got their hands dirty for the first time today. They cleaned Farsight's clock and Mr. Calgar punched out a tank.

CIMG0490.JPG

I'm loving my chapter champion. I'm thinking hard about picking up roman style helms for more veterans.

CIMG0495.JPG

CIMG0502.JPG

It's very hard to do justice to that banner.

CIMG0501.JPG

My other recent project, and new favorite toy.

CIMG0500.JPG

I think the techmarine was playing "Missile Command" on it...

More images in the picasa link at the top. C&C welcome, I'm trying to get better at this.

They look nice man, very clean and nice choice of colours.

Some of the colours look a little flat, the parchment for example. Some highlighting or a wash could do wonders. In a year or two you'll be pumping out top class minis.

These are great! if I can offer some tips that hopefully will take your painting to the next level (hopefully! :ph34r:):

1. Don't just paint your final colour over the basecoat, I'm mainly talking about the parchment, white and metals here, work your way up from dark to light, for example on the parchment I'd go for scorched/bestial brown>Bleached bone>Kommando Khaki on edges, and for the white, one layer of fortress grey before the white should do the trick.

2.A general tip, thin your paint. In these pics the blue looks quite thick, and it's obcsuring some of the detail, this may also help the reds aswell. What I normally do is take some paint from the pot and put it on a pallete (I just use a plate), then dip your brush in your water and mix it in. Also don't be afraid to paint on more than one layer of thinned paint if it doesn't like right, as you will get a better effect than with just one think layer.

3. last tip, Put less paint on your brush, this may seem simple, but with the thin paints it really helps.

Like I said before they look great! Sorry if I seem patronising, just trying to help, and I remember that I used to paint like this a few months ago, and recently just started getting better.

GRN

PS. Welcome!

I appreciate the feedback gents.

I've been reading here and elsewhere to thin paints, but I wasn't altogether sure by how much or the right method. I tried watering down the pot but it got far too thin.

My golds are a coat of calthan brown and the burnished gold on top, but thinner paints would make that better, I imagine. On Calgar, I also dry brushed the gold with bleached bone to age it a bit.

I did the white with fortress grey and then skull white, tho I experimented with white over bone on the weapons. Again, I suspect thinner paint will allow that to show.

It's interesting how blowing up a photo to three times the size of the mini itself can show imperfections you wouldn't otherwise notice.

It's interesting how blowing up a photo to three times the size of the mini itself can show imperfections you wouldn't otherwise notice.

This happens to me all the time! It's actually quite useful, even if you don't plan on putting it online, seeing all those little nics of paint I leave about the place.

About the thinning of paints, you can do it in the pot, but you either have to use a dropper, or make sure your tap is running (read:Dripping) really slowly, and just whip the pot under and back out quickly! Anytime you need help, this is your place! (Hopefully :lol:)

When i thin my paints, i use a styro foam plate or the citadel painting platter thing. and i add the water using an eye dropper.

first load the brush with paint and put it on the plate, then one drop of water... depending on how much you plan on painting. mix it with the brush, wipe away the excess off the brush and paint. its gonna take a lot of troubleshooting until you find the consistancy you want. another alternative is using valejo paints. i dont but i heard they are waterier than gw, which are thick as hell.

Archived