Baal Predator advice.

Schultzhoffen

I'm planning on running x2 Baal Preds in my list (AC/HBs).

The question is: How best to use them? Run them together? On opposite sides of the table?

What makes them significantly better than a Dakka Pred (45 points cheaper, Str7 weapon)- apart from Scout, rending, x2 shots more?

I'm used to using Predators (auto/las) in a fire support/static role but I don't think Baals work that way (?).

I'd really like to use them (great from a fluff perspective) but need advice to get the best from them.

My army also includes a Razorback (HF), Rhino, a Dreadnought (DC or Furioso) and either a SRGship or LRCrusader (depending on mood)

Thoughts?

Well the asscan/HB combo is a anti-infantry, mid-field unit. I use to be of the belief that they were also anti av, but relying on the rending is just not reliable, it has a better chance of working when you spam the asscans, but that doesn't sound like what you are doing here.

So mid field is where they are going to be effective, but they like most other things in the BA codex shine when they have support. For example making a little mobile firebase of 2 RB's 1 Baal, 1 Auto/Las Pred is a great why to keep the fire power on your opponent, they are all fast, you can screen your RB's w/ the pred's and just keep moving and firing.

I think the best advice to give you is run that Baal configuration when your list is lacking ant-infantry and needs some lite anti-av support as well.

Ashton

Well the asscan/HB combo is a anti-infantry, mid-field unit. I use to be of the belief that they were also anti av, but relying on the rending is just not reliable, it has a better chance of working when you spam the asscans, but that doesn't sound like what you are doing here.

So mid field is where they are going to be effective, but they like most other things in the BA codex shine when they have support. For example making a little mobile firebase of 2 RB's 1 Baal, 1 Auto/Las Pred is a great why to keep the fire power on your opponent, they are all fast, you can screen your RB's w/ the pred's and just keep moving and firing.

I think the best advice to give you is run that Baal configuration when your list is lacking ant-infantry and needs some lite anti-av support as well.

Ashton

What RB loadout would you be using for this tactic?

Assault Cannon or Las/Plas would be my recommendation for the Razorbacks with Baals. I also recommend Vindicators alongside Baals.

I love my Baals and run them to advance upon the enemy. The range of the Assault Cannon is mid-range and I use these vehciles to screen advancing infrantry. Often Jumpers. I think the Baal is best used against Infantry and that scouting move can get up ahead in the first move. As such the infantry has can also move up at full speed. (Remember that you can also use smoke so that they have a good measure of protection).

I also use some Razorbacks and often select the TL Lascannons. I find that they are super reliable to take out infranty.

PS also think that Baals work great in unison with Vindicators. Both lethal and threatening tanks.

Thing is -I'm not too worried about armour (assaulting rear armour is awesome), unless facing more than 1 LRaider/Monolith. I do have x2 Multi-Meltas and a Melta Gun (hardly great but not nothing).

I hardly face Guard. My main opponents are 'Nids, Orks, Eldar and MEQs. However, I want to add something to the army for Tournament use. I already have 1 Baal. Should I go Dakka Pred/Auto-Las Pred or Vindicator instead of another Baal?

The rest of the army contains -HF RB, Rhino (Tac Squad), Furioso, LRC (or SRG), RASs (x2 -5 in the RB and x10 with JPs) and x9 DC with a Reclusiarch and x2 SPs

On the shelf: x2 LSD Typhoons, x6 Devs (MLs), x10 RAS and SGuard.

Archived