Wound allocation

So, today my 5 SGV, one with a Power Fist, take 10 hits. I allocate 1 hit to each model once and then again until all hits have been allocated. I make my saves, 8 for the 4 SGV and 2 for the one with a power fist. Correct?

Four years ago, I rolled 10 armour saves and removed who I liked. Also correct?

thats all correct

This seems like ther perfect place for this question: Today I was playing against some chaos marines, and a 10 man assault squad+Dante got assaulted by Berzerkers. The result of the zerker close combat attacks was 12 wounds from a chainswords and 4 from a PW. I wanted to drop 2 of the PW's on Dante, and the other 2 Pw's on my sgt with a stormshield, thenspread the rest out on the squad. My opponent insisted that I spread out the PW hits as well as the regular hits, which i did, but couldnt find anything in the rules backing this up one way or the other. Any thoughts?

well, you wouldn't be able to dump the power weapon hits on dante. Due to how IC's work, they are separate units from attached squads for determining who gets hit by who in close combat :devil:

This seems like ther perfect place for this question: Today I was playing against some chaos marines, and a 10 man assault squad+Dante got assaulted by Berzerkers. The result of the zerker close combat attacks was 12 wounds from a chainswords and 4 from a PW. I wanted to drop 2 of the PW's on Dante, and the other 2 Pw's on my sgt with a stormshield, thenspread the rest out on the squad. My opponent insisted that I spread out the PW hits as well as the regular hits, which i did, but couldnt find anything in the rules backing this up one way or the other. Any thoughts?

Before you strike, you have to decide who of your models are attacking which of his model groups.

This must follow the normal rules - ie, if they are too far away, tough luck, etc.

Model groups are ICs [such as Dante] and squads and vehicles.

If your foe wants to power weapon attack Dante, he has to declare that before rolling to hit.

Say he whiffs that rolling, that is too bad, he [and you!] cannot allocate the normal attacks onto Dante. Unless they are at a different initiative value to the power weapon attacks, but again, it is the attackers choice.

This actually makes an IC attached to a squad with a power fist a nice combo, as you can keep allocating attacks against something if the previous attempts failed.

If your foe doesn't allocate attacks against Dante, then you cannot take wounds against him.

If, say, your foe allocates 200 power weapon attacks on Dante and kills him, lol, then all the wounds past death are wasted and don't get put onto the squad he is attached to.

Does that make sense?

OK, all that being said, lets try an example and take the IC out of the equation: a Squad of 10 assault troops recieves 11 wounds in close combat, 2 of which are from a power weapon. Can the 2 PW wounds be allocated to the sgt. (who happens to have a stormshield), while everyone else in the squad takes a single regular wound? Why or why not, and what in the rules supports your position?

OK, all that being said, lets try an example and take the IC out of the equation: a Squad of 10 assault troops recieves 11 wounds in close combat, 2 of which are from a power weapon. Can the 2 PW wounds be allocated to the sgt. (who happens to have a stormshield), while everyone else in the squad takes a single regular wound? Why or why not, and what in the rules supports your position?

Yes.

S = Sergeant

T = Trooper

P = power weapon wound

N = normal wound

S T T T T T T T T T

p n n n n n n n n n

then you start a "new round" of allocation:

S T T T T T T T T T

p n n n n n n n n n

p

In essence, wound allocation has reduced the effectiveness of striking with save ignoring and save counting wounds, be that from shooting or from mêlée, ie Las cannon and Auto cannon shots, in one volley, can be minimised. Same thing with power weapon and normal attacks.

Drones, Neophytes and other meat-shields have gone up in use because of that.

Just going back the Dante and ICs, a lot of people I know tend to say that their one squad is all ignoring the IC and attacking the squad he is attached to. This cannot happen unless all of his models are in base contact with your regular squad. If any are only in base contact with the IC, then they must attack him. And if the only model within 2" of a non-base contact model is a model in base contact with an IC, then they must attack that IC as well, they can only choose to attack the unit if there's a model in base contact with the unit in 2".

Sorry to pull it back, it's just that I see this happen a lot, you can't do it like.

Yes.

S = Sergeant

T = Trooper

P = power weapon wound

N = normal wound

S T T T T T T T T T

p n n n n n n n n n

then you start a "new round" of allocation:

S T T T T T T T T T

p n n n n n n n n n

p

In essence, wound allocation has reduced the effectiveness of striking with save ignoring and save counting wounds, be that from shooting or from mêlée, ie Las cannon and Auto cannon shots, in one volley, can be minimised. Same thing with power weapon and normal attacks.

Drones, Neophytes and other meat-shields have gone up in use because of that.

the flip side to that is the signifigantly increased risk of loseing the sergant (and his ld 9), plus any special weapon the sergent may have

Archived