Combi-meltas on Characters in Terminator Armor?

catharsix

Title get across basic question: should I load up those Captains, Chaplains, S. Priests, Librarians, etc. with combi-meltas? (or other combi-weapons for that matter) I am going to be building a Termie-heavy force (I came into a new Space Hulk set and a box of Assault termies on the cheap). I am working on converting a Sanguinary Priest and a Chaplain right now, and am wondering if I should give them Combi-meltas.

Any advice on this subject would be much appreciated. Above and beyond combi-weapons, suggestions about general wargear choices for Terminator-armored characters would also be great! ;)

Thanks B&C BAs!

-C6

well to be fair if a character cant take a storm shield alongside its power/thunder weapon then a ranged weapon is as good as any ;) since models in terminator armour only get a second attack with a weapon if they have a simular identical weapon (double powerweapon, lightning claws or double thudnerhammer for example) equiped...

combi-weapons have the increase benefit that you can always fire and charge. More so a benefit for a combi-plasma then anything else as you can rapid fire and charge. The other weapons are allready assault weapons so that isent an added benefit :P

whatever its usefull though? *shrugs* depends on the rest of your force and how you intend to use the unit/character.

id prefer ccw options if they have them, ie storm sheild, pair of claws etc. for a captain id have a pair of claws, for a libby storm sheild. now for a chaplin hes a possible if you have the points. and i dont think a priest has the options for anything else when in termy armour(not sure if a chaplin or libby does...)

A priest can't take one. But Captains, Librarians, Reclusiarchs and Chaplains can take combi-weapons.

A captain is a CC character, pure and simple. Yes, he does have BS5, but if you're taking a captain, you probably should make him as deadly in CC as you can. He is the only character with 3 base attacks and options for dual Lightning Claws, plus that WS6. Get the dual claws, and run him with a libby or chaplain so you can have 5 WS6 I6 re-rolling to hit and wound power weapon attacks.

Librarians are only BS4. So, the combi-weapon isn't as effective on them. Also, they are only I4, which means a faster opponent might attempt to quickly take out your character. I'd advise a Storm Shield on terminator Librarians so that they can hang around.

Reclusiarchs and Chaplains, however, are perfect candidates for combi-weapons. No dual LC option, come with a 4+ inv. to start, and the Reclusiarch is BS5. These guys I would give a combi-weapon to everytime.

Thats the way I see it.

A character such as a Recluisarch or Chaplain does not have access to a stormshield so I definitely think for these two it's worth considering the option for a combi weapon. The Recluisarch is BS5 so you have great odds to hit and there is probably a good chance the model will be in half range as well. Basically a melta has 50 percent chance to pop most vehicles if it penetrates. The melta could be the difference between being able to assault a unit inside a transport or only assaulting the vehicle. The shooting attack bypasses having to hit on a 6 in melee if the transport has moved fast which is a big advantage. I run a Chaplain in my DoA army with the option for a power fist - I only mention this to point out it's good to have options in general as it gives you more choices. The more choices you have the better your odds are. So yes I think a combi melta is well worth the points if you can afford it.

G :D

...I came into a new Space Hulk set and a box of Assault termies on the cheap...

First you should get rid of that gross bio-mass covering the termies...

?

its a joke...you said "you came in" a box of space hulk termies....

A character such as a Recluisarch or Chaplain does not have access to a stormshield so I definitely think for these two it's worth considering the option for a combi weapon. The Recluisarch is BS5 so you have great odds to hit and there is probably a good chance the model will be in half range as well. Basically a melta has 50 percent chance to pop most vehicles if it penetrates. The melta could be the difference between being able to assault a unit inside a transport or only assaulting the vehicle. The shooting attack bypasses having to hit on a 6 in melee if the transport has moved fast which is a big advantage. I run a Chaplain in my DoA army with the option for a power fist - I only mention this to point out it's good to have options in general as it gives you more choices. The more choices you have the better your odds are. So yes I think a combi melta is well worth the points if you can afford it.

G :P

Pretty much my sentiments. If a Reclusiarch has termiie armour, he can take a combi-melta and he is a chap who can use it to great effect. The Libby with BS4 is better suited to a Storm SHield. Especially as he could be subject to perils of the warp. The Captain in termie armour. NEver take a Captain but one with a lighning claw/ Storm SHield would be ok or Lighning claw and combi.

Pretty much my sentiments. If a Reclusiarch has termiie armour, he can take a combi-melta and he is a chap who can use it to great effect. The Libby with BS4 is better suited to a Storm SHield. Especially as he could be subject to perils of the warp. The Captain in termie armour. NEver take a Captain but one with a lighning claw/ Storm SHield would be ok or Lighning claw and combi.

thanks for more tips. which is better for Captain, double lightning claws, or one claw and a shield?

and, off-topic, but where are all y'all (like redo etc.) getting those cool banner-style avatars?

that depends on what you want. if you want an extra lightening claw attack or a 3++ inv instead of a 4++. not a huge difference either way to be honest. id go paired claws purely cause it looks cool(the space hulk guy)not that id use a captain.

as for the banners its under avatars in your control pannel...

that depends on what you want. if you want an extra lightening claw attack or a 3++ inv instead of a 4++. not a huge difference either way to be honest. id go paired claws purely cause it looks cool(the space hulk guy)not that id use a captain.

as for the banners its under avatars in your control pannel...

I am planning to use the twin LC guy from Space Hulk as my captain (no-fuss conversion!) so I think I'll go that route.

And thanks for the avatar info - they have an Angels Encarmine banner, so voila!

Archived