The question of the Sternguard and the Heavy bolter

Yes indeed, cheap semi-Devs is another reason as to why people take Sternguard. The reason why is that they don't eat up HS slots which could go towards Preds and Vindicators, and they are often cheaper. In all honesty, the signum isn't really that special, it's handy, but when it comes down to between that and something like the extra 5pts for a Rhino, you might as well drop it. And remember, boltguns are more likely to be in range, although this is only really for the plasma cannons, and they are better in combat, and less likely to run away, even when the Sergeant is dead.

The major thing about semi-Dev Sternguard though, is that with Pedro they become perhaps the best objective sitter unit in the Codex. 2A standard, 3 if Pedro is nearby, two heavy weapons, and long-range boltguns mean they can sit on an objective and really contribute damage for a reasonable cost, unlike other objectives which either don't have the same firepower for that points cost (las/plas Razorbacks) or those that just don't damage (Scouts). So in a Pedro army, semi-Dev squads are pretty good, but then also remember that twin-heavy flamers will be better than one flamer for objective taking.

Devs are better discussed in another topic, but I feel its fair to say that generally the C:SM devastators have a tough time comparing to the other space marine equivalents.

Long Fangs for instance can use split fire to shoot multiple targets, making them particularly useful.

Sternguard are a pretty good base for heavy weapons and arguably better than devs, but they are excellent for a small firebase!

I'm using Sternguard all the time. ALL the time. Like every game. I think I use them in Chess too.

I'm typically in the mode of 2 squads, 6-7 models each, PF or PW on the sergeant, 2 MG or Combis, Rhino when possible, often a razorback.

I used to start with 10 sternguard, rhino, PF or PW, 2 plasma cannons, combis. This squad gets split on deployment.

I'd like to try as others regularly do - 6+ sternguard, drop pod, combi meltas as a turn 1 drop and shoot squad.

I've learned the hard way that the best transport mode is a rhino. Squad size is always less than 10 to keep room for an IC in their rhino. Combiweapons seem to be the best way to equip them, since after turn 1 they are targeting by shooting infantry or elites monster creature equivalents on turn 2. Power fisted sergeant always keeps the bolter. Never get sternguard into assault unless it is unavoidable. Combimeltas are best for armored vehicle or 2W opponents, otherwise combiflamers may be the best.

• 2 weeks later...
my unit of 10 Sternguard, has 8 combi plasma's and 2 plasma cannons... but thats because i'm mad... and they are very nice against blood claw horde's

You know that highly-specialized unit has a highly-specialized usage...but it's VERY EFFECTIVE at that.

Actually, there was a time when I brought plasma cannons instead of MLs in my tac squads. Slightly less effective against armor but it could still pop a Rhino; devastating against heavy infantry.

Archived