The Quest for Non-Metallic Metals

zyx

Hail Brethren,

A friend once proposed that he and I assemble and paint squads for an army, and paint them to the very highest of our abilities. Nothing ever came of the idea. Until now.

I have chosen to collect and paint a small army of Sanguinary Guard, with Dante leading them.

I have also chosen to paint them on the NMM technique. Something I have tried only once, years ago, which I was not completely satisfied with. However, I am going to give it a damn good second try.

First up, here is the first sqaud assembled and ready for painting.

This is a link to my flickr page showing work so far.

The Quest

Comments welcome. Let the Quest commence.

Hail Brethren,

I'm following the tutorial from WD 364 on The Sanguinor's armour to achieve NMM for my Sanguinary Guard, and stage 1 is complete. Follow the link in the original post to see them.

I have diverted slightly by using bestial brown instead of calthan brown for this stage. It is a warmer richer brown, which I chose only because my local GW didn't have calthan brown in stock. I may mix up some bestial brown with white and black and apply this to get the same tone as in the tutorial, but then again I might not. Any thoughts on this?

Applying the first layer has made me look at the armour more closely and think about the possibilities for the future. I'm strongly considering painting blood spatters on them when they're all done. I like this idea because I think it will refelect the fact that although they're beautiful, they have a savage side also. They are after all the angels of death.

This inspired another idea for the death masks. I was wondering whether it would work to paint the faces in a ghastly corpse like way, they are after all "death" masks.

Lastly I'm in two minds about the wings. My first thought was to paint them red, like the old portrayals of angels you see in art. Then again, black wings might also be cool.

Now, some advice PLEASE. I really want to post images directly onto the thread, I have my flickr page, but I can't seem to use its pictures for image tags. What am I doing wrong?

Please contirbute your thoughts, I look forward to your replies.

The quest continues.

Are you using snkebite leather with the bestial brown? The calthan brown is just used to increase the pigmentation giving the base colour more coverage just make sure its a nice solid coat as this will form a mid point to the colours used in the blend. Dont use black to darken the brown it will change the brown to a green likewise just adding white will alter the hue as well as lighten it. The most important part is to use snakebite leather and mix up and down from that using cream (bleached bone) and dark red (dark flesh) otherwise you will run in to big trouble later on because as you mix the bestial brown later on it will become progresivley more red (due to it being a red based brown).

The death mask idea sounds cool and will draw the eye to it, avoid red wings if you are going down the blood spatters route possibly go with white if you are considering the white death masks to make the minis look more coherant.

I'm not sure if you checked this out

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=141716

but the best way is to just create your own gallery in B&C it saves loads of messing about

• 3 weeks later...

Hail,

If you follow the link in my first post, you will see work progressing on the NMM sang. guard. I'm quite pleased so far, and can see myself improving with every sitting. It is a slllllllllllooooooooooooow painstaking process, but the result will be worth it I hope.

Am thinking that making an army of these boys may be a little ambitious.....we shall see.

C&C welcome.

On with the quest!!

Looks great, I would only recommend that you:

Water down your paints a little

Blended the white into the other colours a bit more

Use Gryphonne Sepia to help you speed up the blends

As for the wings i would pant them codex grey and wash it with black a couple times then blend codex and then fortress grey. This will get you a really nicely shaded black.

Very nice my friend! See, I always wanted to have a go and while the "silver" NMM from that tutorial came out looking pretty good, I haven't quite plucked up the courage to try the gold bits yet......might try it over the weekend though. Can't wait to see more of these guys.

Edemia

++EDIT++ Put "God" instead of "Go" :-s

Archived