Better a Servant of the Emperor...

Doghouse

As always your work is an inspiration to us all. I was wondering if the new Grey Knights would be good candidates for true scaling and you have shown that it is viable and reasonably easy to do. Are you just shaving down the back of the terminator armor to make room for the backpack? I will wait anxiously for the tutorial as always. It's good to see you posting your work on the forums, it always makes me do some work of my own. thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of us.

he doghouse can you make a tutorial for the true scale GK, I know you mentioned to put one up in the tutorial section, but I didnt find it.

GKs are not my cup off tea, but since it is a doghouse wip topic , I will watch carefully :lol:

Nice to see your guard stormtroopes getting some love, saw them some years ago in some forum, still waiting for this true scale orcs to be finished though !

Thanks guys! :)

sioka: Hello mate. :) I'll try and get some shots of the rough MDF version this afternoon with any luck.

mikhail: Yeah to be honest I think that these are probably the easiest way of making truescale. I was going to go completely over board with them but figured it'd be a chance show people what they can do with pretty much just the GK terminator kits. Yeah the back packs are just shaved down flush with the psychic hood. You could even go as far as to rim the connection point off a power armoured torso if you want but just sticking it on looks fine. I'll be updating the tutorial in the link below later on and adding a new way of doing proper truescale back packs as well. I was going to do them on these guys but just wanted to crack on with them instead.

batu: Yeah I feel the same way funnily enough, they're not really my cup of tea to be honest. I used to play them back in first edition when they were power armoured and when they became all terminator armoured they lost their shine a little for me. I considered them in the fourth ed incarnation purely because you could take power armour again but the new codex has finally won me over.

The conversion potential for the Inquisitorial retinues is what appeals the most to me, 40k has always been a dark medieval circus in my mind but the codexs seem to keep all factions of the Imperium distinctly separate unless you play apocalypse. I think with the like of the flagellents boxed set you can really go to town with the weirdos that you can find in an Inquisitor's retinue.

Here's the link for the truescale tutorial mate, I'll be updating it asap with some simple GK conversion tips. ;)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=130115&hl=

Mate can't wait to see some of these pics!!!! You made an old school LR or is it based on the newer ones?

The Summoners sound pretty dam awesome, would love to see these bad boys getting some TLC!!!!!!!!!!

Here you go mate. This is just a MDF mock up of the Land Raider that I'm currently building in plastic. Basically I've taken the scale shots from the fourth edition codex and have scaled the model so that it is the right size for truescale marines. The final version will be a lot cleaner looking and will have all the detailing based on the regular kit and I'm currently doing the same with a dreadnought model as well.

http://i52.tinypic.com/1qfl15.jpg

If you have a look in my topics mate you should be able to find a log I started a while back for my Summoners. :jaw:

Here you go mate. This is just a MDF mock up of the Land Raider that I'm currently building in plastic. Basically I've taken the scale shots from the fourth edition codex and have scaled the model so that it is the right size for truescale marines. The final version will be a lot cleaner looking and will have all the detailing based on the regular kit and I'm currently doing the same with a dreadnought model as well.

http://i52.tinypic.com/1qfl15.jpg

If you have a look in my topics mate you should be able to find a log I started a while back for my Summoners. :P

Doghouse you never cease to amaze man! I always enjoy seeing what your up to and it always makes my smile. :jaw: Be sure to post lots and lots of pics man! And lets see this dread!

Wowzers, DH that looks amazing!!! That is one awesome look LR, when you make this for keeps its gonna look awesome! On the subject on LR, I remember many posts ago... didn't you make one purely out of foam & green stuff or am I making that up???? Anyways, looking forward to more posts with great interest!

PS - if I haven't said it already, lovin' those Summoners!!!! You ever considered writing a short story about them or that not your cup of tea?

Thanks mate. Yeah luckily I've managed to get hold of a massive sheet of plasticard from work (about four by five feet) and will be using it to make all manner of vehicles that weren't viable before.

Just a quick update

Here are the first two guys out of the gate at the very early stages of painting. I've basecoated them black and given them a wash of badab black to darken the basecoat. Next I'll be using bolt gun metal washes to bring it back up to the same level as shine as the castellan. Before I do that I'm blocking out all the areas that will be gold with tin bitz which I will lighten with dwarf bronze and shining gold. It is a quite straightforward process and more importantly quite quick to do.

I had hoped that cutting the little book off the chest of the guy on the left would make it look more like power armour but I'm not overly convinced to be honest.

http://i54.tinypic.com/x6d11.jpg

Whilst I want as many warrior acolytes as possible to bulk out the numbers I also want all manner of Imperial types for the other retinues. I started this guy a long while back but the varnish frosted the model and messed it up so I'll be repainting him to use as an arbite in the force.

http://i53.tinypic.com/hwl2jn.jpg

Wowzers, DH that looks amazing!!! That is one awesome look LR, when you make this for keeps its gonna look awesome! On the subject on LR, I remember many posts ago... didn't you make one purely out of foam & green stuff or am I making that up???? Anyways, looking forward to more posts with great interest!

PS - if I haven't said it already, lovin' those Summoners!!!! You ever considered writing a short story about them or that not your cup of tea?

Sorry mate you ninja'd me. :D

Yeah I did start a truescale vehicle a while back but it was a rhino made from GS and foam core so you never know I may well dig it out for this. ;)

I must admit I don't really rate myself as a writer as such but do find it useful to add little bits of stories to the armies to give people a greater insight into how I picture them myself. I will be doing something like that for these guys to explain them a little better but you never know I may do the same for the Summoners when they get their revamp.

Cheers guys! ^_^

I managed to get hold of some of the finecast models today, absolutely awesome models.

I originally intended just to get Coteaz to chop up but ended up buying three models that will become part of the Inquisitor's retinues because they are really nice.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2cr0rxy.jpg

Coteaz came with no sprue and pictured here. No bubbles, warping or loss of detail that I can find and it cuts and glues a treat. There was some flash on the tab that I had to remove

http://i51.tinypic.com/nbpy7n.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2dv98is.jpg

These two are going to be converted to fit in the retinues and really give the unit some character. The Emperor's Champion will become a power armoured human and I'll be chopping of the arm so I can give him some appropriate weapons.

The commissar will either be a navy officer or rogue trader, either way I'll be cutting off the head to make him look less like a commissar.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2r5aneo.jpg

Cool stuff - I like the look of the fine cast models! Are they a bit cheaper then the metal? My all time fav model is the BT emperors champ!!! Look forward to the fluff behind theese guys Doghouse - what gives you the inspiration behind it all? Random stuff in your head, reading or or do you read the Warp???

Cheers guys! ;)

Dorn's padawan: Unfortunately they are a little more expensive than the old metals but on the plus side so much easier to convert. I've been into 40k since day one so know quite a bit about the setting which helps when theming armies. Generally I form an idea and then run with it researching background material where needed.

Bereft of Sanity: Yeah sort of, it's mostly a line of flash causing a shadow. The weird thing about these is that they must be using a new technique for the molds. In the case of these models they are few and far between but there is a very faint moldline running down the back of the tabard on the EC which is a little odd.

Dorns_fist: Thanks mate! :D

Bit more progress as I'm still in giddy school girl mode over these models.

Decided to chop coteaz's head off and replace it with the EC's head to give him a more sinister look. Need to do a little GS work, mostly on the left arm and then he's pretty much done.

http://i52.tinypic.com/30122d3.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/9i4qhl.jpg

Here are the models in various stages. The commissar is getting his head lopped off this afternoon and will be replaced with Coteaz's bare head that I managed to remove completely intact from the original model. I'll be making him into another Inquisitor, as it still early days for this army in terms of it's setting he will be a former colonel that fought on the line at the siege of Terra and will be leading the army elements of the army.

Lileth will be a former sister of silence that is now working as an assassin in the Inquisitor's retinue. I'll be using the Death cult assassin rules for her. The EC body will be put to good use as either a power armoured body guard or as an apprentice to the Inquisitor.

http://i52.tinypic.com/28hgz1z.jpg

Lol Doghouse your showing your age now mate ;) . That Coteaz model with the EC head looks incredible! Actually - he looks like (at first glance) he could pass off as a BT High Marshal! That is pretty insane! I suppose the fact that they are quite convertable is a big plus point - I have a fwe of the metal vetrans that have never seen the light of day as I wanted so badly to convert them but the thought of chopping up metal without losing the detail was a problem.

Don't know why but this is screaming out Eisenhorn to me :D . Great work matey

Yeah grand old age of thirty seven mate, guess you could say I'm one of the long fangs. :P

I agree he would make a great high marshal in Artificier armour. What I want to try and do is capture the feel of the Inquisition as it is just starting out, so you have budding Inquisitors coming from all sorts of different backgrounds and taking different approaches to how they deal out pain to the heretics.

So on one hand you have the former colonel still sporting his uniform and medals then on the other you have this guy completely covered in armour and the symbols of his office. Finecast is perfect timing for this as it means that I can make full use of models that I wouldn't normally think of using. Hopefully they won't take too long getting the recent Inquisitor stuff out in finecast then I only have to wait for the Imperial Guard advisers to snag some more awesome characters for the army.

As so little has been done covering the time of the scouring let alone just afterwards this gives me a massive amount of freedom as long as I keep it fairly vague and don't reference the time line too much. Plus you still have loads of other cool stuff like the fledgling Imperial Cult bringing out the fanatics, the army reforming into the Imperial Guard and there are even some Primarchs still alive and well.

I've been doing a quick bit of research into the real world Inquisition and have decided to name this guy Inquisitor Tomas Lucero.

So much easier. I removed the EC head after I took the arm off so as not to damage it then just sliced it off being careful to avoid the neck chain. I could of easily stuck the arm back on afterwards though with out noticing it had been cut.

Coteaz's head was removed by slowly and carefully cutting down and around the head with a knife making sure that I never nicked the gorget. Once it was loose enough I slide my sculpting tool down the back of the head and wiggled it free like a loose tooth. To be honest had it been metal there is no way I could get it out intact and without severely damaging, if not destroying, the gorget in front of his neck and messing up the top of the fur cloak. There was some slight damage to his chin but his head is pretty much intact meaning that I can now stick it on the commissar to make another Inquisitor.

I did have to cut away some of the fur from the cloak so the EC fit but it wasn't very hard to be honest, just be sure to take your time if you are cutting them.

As result I have a new inquisitor conversion and can still use the left overs to build more models, so no part of these models is wasted due to damage. Even the left over EC pad I cut off will probably find a home with my Iron Hands.

Archived