Better a Servant of the Emperor...

Doghouse

Im glad you like the new fincast minis. Until now, I just read bad reviews. Generally I think the desicion to switch from metall to resin was a good one. Butt the price increase issue is still bugging me very much.

Very nice convertations, keep up the good work .

Do you plan to include a whole arbites squad in the army ? That would be awsome.

Thanks mate. :D

Yeah it is unfortunate that there have been so many stories of miscasts. Luckily mine were really nice and if they can get them all like that I'll buy a lot more in future. It does sound like they rushed them out as I was told they only started making them two months ago.

I may include an arbite's squad but might also only have one leading a mob of redemptions, not too sure at the moment.

So much easier. I removed the EC head after I took the arm off so as not to damage it then just sliced it off being careful to avoid the neck chain. I could of easily stuck the arm back on afterwards though with out noticing it had been cut.

Coteaz's head was removed by slowly and carefully cutting down and around the head with a knife making sure that I never nicked the gorget. Once it was loose enough I slide my sculpting tool down the back of the head and wiggled it free like a loose tooth. To be honest had it been metal there is no way I could get it out intact and without severely damaging, if not destroying, the gorget in front of his neck and messing up the top of the fur cloak. There was some slight damage to his chin but his head is pretty much intact meaning that I can now stick it on the commissar to make another Inquisitor.

I did have to cut away some of the fur from the cloak so the EC fit but it wasn't very hard to be honest, just be sure to take your time if you are cutting them.

As result I have a new inquisitor conversion and can still use the left overs to build more models, so no part of these models is wasted due to damage. Even the left over EC pad I cut off will probably find a home with my Iron Hands.

This is good to know. Thanks. :D

No problem. B)

Just a quick tweak on Inquisitor Tomas Lucero, mainly the head and the arm.

http://i56.tinypic.com/8zoht0.jpg

Here's the commissar being prepared for his transformation into an Inquisitor.

http://i55.tinypic.com/w9y1a9.jpg

And the head minus a bit of the right side of his face but nothing a little GS can't fix so that will go back in the bits box.

http://i53.tinypic.com/302s3ef.jpg

I tried the Coteaz head on the commissar body to see how it looked but to be honest I think it's a little big. I may have to source a slightly smaller guard head.

http://i56.tinypic.com/34spch3.jpg

So I've finished the basic build for Lucero and am now waiting for the GS work to dry before I can start painting.

To be honest I know there is a lot of understandable disappointment with the Finecast launch but I have to say that I have not had this much fun putting together a model in years. It was an expensive build but in all honesty for a relaxing day of fun model making it was completely worth parting with my hard earned cash and as long as I can get decent casts like these ones I will definitely be getting more.

Not completely sure as to what colours I should be painting him at the moment but rather than rush him like I normally do I'm going to go to town on the paint job and see what I can do.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2egcfnr.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/20z1xqq.jpg

;)

Plus if you look at the sisters of battle their power packs are a lot smaller as well which highlights the point a little. I think the large power pack of the space marines is mostly likely due to the size and power requirements needed to keep what is effectively a small one man tank moving in battle but it is an iconic image that most associate with power armour.

In Inquisitional terms bigger isn't always better though and I expect they have all manner of concealed technology stashed about their person like digi-weapons for example. :)

I'm not sure why, but I almost want to say a Cyber Mastiff, with a chain leash leading from it to the Inquisitors' hand, would make this guy insanely awesome. I'm lovin' what you got so far, brother. Keep up the great work!

Cheers guys! :lol:

Hmm, a cyber mastiff? That's not a bad idea.

Quick update.

For some reason the lighting has messed this picture up quite a bit but I figured I'd throw it up any way.

At the moment I've basecoat the model with scab red and begun highlighting and blending (which doesn't show up very well here ;) ).

I'm thinking of making the fur on the cloak a lightish grey but not sure about what colours to the cloak or the tabbard.

http://i51.tinypic.com/10q08d4.jpg

I'm thinking of making the fur on the cloak a lightish grey but not sure about what colours to the cloak or the tabbard.

light grey sounds good to me. Maybye white or light green or a light brown tone.

Great to hear that the finecasts are easy to work with. I have been thinking of getting me some of them for conversions, and you have convinced me. And I aswell think that a light grey would be good for the cloak. Maybe a dark brown deep down, sorta hidden under the grey, making it look like it was made from an older animal?

- Natanael

This project is really moving on Doghouse!!! You could paint the fur a dark grey & dry brush it with highlights of a lighter (but not too light) grey & then for the cloak, a nice stippled dark/light grey effect?. Failing that perhaps paint the cloak a darkish purple with gold trim & then a pale blue-come-grey for the tabard as this will off-set the eyes that way?

Out of interest DH, what stages have you done for painting? I assume yo have sprayed the model in chaos black the painted on one layer of scab red as a base coat?

batu: Sounds like you're thinking along similar lines to me then mate. :P Yeah white might work quite well for the cloak and tabbard, initially I had considered doing the tabbard as a long sheet of script but not so sure how that'd look. I think white might act as a nice contrast to the darker red of the armour.

Natanael: Yeah they are really nice for conversions as they make them extremely versatile. I think for the time being though make sure you check out the quality of the casts where ever possible though as there have been a lot of horror stories floating around concerning the initial release. Hopefully they'll improve the casting process.

Dorns padawan: Yeah with the finecast stuff coming out it's given me a bit of a boost although it's shifted the focus of the army to a more human based army at the moment. Purple might work well actually as it was originally the colour associated with the Ordo Malleus if I remember correctly.

For Luceros I undercoated him with chaos black then went over this a mix of scab red and chaos black. I then went over this with scab red then applied a wash of badab red before adding a series of washes and highlights to the model. I had intended to take my time but in true fashion just steamed in. :tu:

Quick update

I haven't really done much today but have put a bit of thought into the back story for Luceros himself, it's a little sketchy at the moment but I'll flesh it out later.

The rough idea so far is that during the great crusade an Imperial expedition lead by Guilliman and his Ultramarines encountered the world of Losandros. Basically the idea is that it was a world that had survived pretty much unscathed since the age of strife and had become a technologically advanced and cultured civilisation.

The planet itself although divided by nation states generally worked together but with the arrival of the Imperium opinions were divided as to the true intentions of the new visitors.

To maintain order between the nations an order of warriors was formed generations before to protect the people and prevent any one nation rising up and assuming complete power over the population.

Although not a true match for the space marines these warriors, known as the Krel'nesk (roughly translated from their native language as Crimson/Blooded Warriors), were selected at birth from all of the nations and inducted into the elite crimson power armoured guard that stood for the people rather than any single body.

Once the Imperials moved on leaving a garrison of army troops tensions rose between the nation states in the following decade that eventually lead to civil war. It soon became apparent that the rebel nations had fallen prey to the warp predators known as Enslavers and the war that followed lead to the eventual destruction of their homeworld.

Those few Krel'nesk that survived either swore fealty to the forces of the Emperor acting as small elite power armoured units amongst the forces of the Army or left on penitent crusades choosing to seek out surviving refugees of their people that fled in transports when the war was at it's zenith.

Luceros fought alongside many Army regiments during the latter years of the crusade but it was during the siege of terra that he earned the distinction that ensured his place in the fledgling ranks of the Inquisition.

Hey man, as always you're stuff is looking mighty fine! The red on the inquisitor looks really good and there is no better force than the Grey Knights to true-scale in your fashion. I really look forward to seeing what you do with Lillith. Do you have an explanation as to how she left the Sisters of Silence? I can't imagine that being easy without a dishonourable discharge..

And the backstory is really cool aswell! But does that mean that your Inquisitor is like 10,000 years old, or is your army set only a little after the HH?

Looking forward to more great work!

Thanks mate. :tu:

The army is going to be set right at the very beginning of the Second Founding, so if memory serves me right it's set eleven years after the defeat of Horus. I think I may have to change the idea of a former sister of silence because like you say it's a little hard to explain and she's not really a psychic null in game terms.

The main reason for this is because it's not really a period that is covered much in the background material yet presents some great opportunities. You've got the Imperium in ruins, the Imperial Truth left in the gutter and the Legions are dividing into the much smaller chapters. You also still have Primarchs wandering about trying to hold things together which is also very cool.

The main appeal for me is that this roughly around the same time as the very beginning of the Inquisition and it has yet to fully take shape so there is loads of room for characters and personalities.

It's a bit of a hard model to convert, not because the model is hard to work with but because it's a really nice model. :lol: I'll probably de-eldar the ears and maybe add a few little bits and pieces and go for a more human skin tone, maybe add some tattoos or something. Maybe she'll be from some sort of assassin's cult from some world that the Inquisitor has visited or something. :)

I've had an interesting idea.

I'm not really a big fan of the Mk II FW models that I was going to use for my Iron Hands because they are a little too skinny in areas. What do you think about me including a squad of ten in the army as a human ten man power armoured acolytes squad?

I know they are a bit of a points sink but might make for a characterful unit. Maybe take off the bolters and give them hot shot lasguns?

Doghouse love the fluff mate, can't wait to see it fleshed out!!! Not sure if I have misread or misinterpreted your last comment - are you going to include the IH as attached to the Inquisitor as an army or you gonna convert them into his own personal army retinue?

As the Inquisitor is going to be using the Coteaz rules I can take Henchmen Warbands as troops.

What I'm thinking is that you can take power armour and bolters for Warrior Acolytes in Henchman squads, as I have a bunch of the FW MK II gathering dust I was thinking maybe turn them into humans in power armour as it its pretty crude looking.

Here's what I have in mind. At the moment I'm leaning to just using the Mk IIs as is for the power armoured warrior acolytes.

Here's a comparison shot between one and one of the GKs.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2s1aebn.jpg

Here's a quick conversion I knocked up using the MK II and some bits.

http://i55.tinypic.com/k19vm1.jpg

Here's a comparison between a Mk II and one of the conversions

http://i56.tinypic.com/16a1oqb.jpg

And lastly with a GK truescale marine.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rp7nk8.jpg

I like the power armoured humans-idea, tough I think maybe you should leave the pads off. They add quite a lot of bulk and without them the human feel is stronger.

- Natanael

Archived