Better a Servant of the Emperor...

Doghouse

...great opportunities. You've got the Imperium in ruins, the Imperial Truth left in the gutter and the Legions are dividing into the much smaller chapters. You also still have Primarchs wandering about trying to hold things together which is also very cool.

The main appeal for me is that this roughly around the same time as the very beginning of the Inquisition and it has yet to fully take shape so there is loads of room for characters and personalities.

Word, suddenly all the know-it-alls and bullies in the Imperium had a place to go! The Inquisition! :P

Anyway I have to say I was pretty sceptical towards using Space Marine Power Armour to represent regular humans, but it actually looks really cool, since the true-scale Grey Knight is so much bigger and clearly shows the difference between the two. The warrior acolytes make me seriously consider redoing my Scouts so damn/thank you!

Looking forward to more :)

Ah I see what you mean!!!! That looks/sounds awesome! You really got a mouth watering project there Doghouse I must say. Do you ever game very much with your models or are you like me, just like building them?

have to agree with Natanael, humies in mk 2 armour is a cool idea, but you should make it humanish as possible. So removing shoulder pads and bolters is the way to go I think. Your test humie in armour looks fine. With the right paint job for the armour you could achieve a very interesting effect.

Do you have a plan how to paint the mk2 armour ?

Dorns padawan: I was a hardcore warhammer fantasy battles player about ten years ago in addition to pretty much every other game GW had produced up till then. Once my gaming group fell apart I stop playing.

Quick update

I've ditched the conversion idea and gone with the MK II as it is. So as to make it a little different I'm taking a different approach to painting going old school RT era. So the idea is that they are issued in light green and after that the wearer basically personalises the paint job with all manner of personal markings. The key is that in addition to the light green base coat they contain yellow and red checks, the way I see it these guys were probably used for boarding actions where personal markings would help identify them better.

WIP Warrior Acolytes

http://i52.tinypic.com/11hfceh.jpg

Just did a bit of research into the subject and it was the Technocracy that used power armour in False Gods:

Each warrior was armoured in fully enclosed plate, silver like the knights of old, with red and black heraldry upon their shoulder guards. Their form and function was horribly similar to that of the Sons of Horus, and though the enemy warriors were smaller than the Astartes, they were nevertheless a distorted mirror of them.

The man still lived, and Loken reached down to remove his helmet, a helmet so very similar to his own. He knew where the release catches were and slid the helm clear.

So as far as I'm concerned I'm ok with using the Mk II armour as long as I have the truescale marines in the army to demonstrate the difference in size.

Here's the squad as it stands, nothing too fancy just twelve Warrior Acolytes with power armour toting bolt guns. They are all at various stages at the moment but the general approach I'm taking is gretchin green followed by thraka green, then I go over it with washes of gretchin green.

For now I'm just playing around to see what works but like I say I want it to look like each has customised his armour to distinguish it from his squad mates. The idea is that they are all drawn from various Army regiments that fought in the siege of terra and other war fronts during the Scouring that involved daemons. Basically they are seasoned veterans specially recruited by Luceros to aid him in his fight against the forces of chaos. Sort of the dirty dozen but with power armour.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2zybskp.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2q1583r.jpg

Cheers guys! :)

Slyen: Yeah it's just regular Tau Sept Ochre. I'll post the GK back below mate. ;)

DarKHaZZ13: Yeah it is a little on the bright side but I'm currently toning it down a little with washes of catachan green.

Just a quick update. Starting to clean the first test guy, apply dark washes and add some rogue trader style markings to the model. There's a nasty miscast down the right leg but I'll try and sort that out later.

http://i54.tinypic.com/9bm9dv.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/w9d8nt.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/208is2g.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dmght4.jpg

Here you go:

http://i52.tinypic.com/e6o968.jpg

Man, the custom designs on the PA henchman are gnarly. I wasn't sure what to think when you were first mentioning using Mk. II plate for mortals, but I feel guilty for doubting you now, lol. Looking forward to seeing these guys finished, brother.

Thanks mate! ;)

Yeah I had my doubts as well to be honest. With the truscale guys it just about works but without them I think it'd confuse people. The key, like I say, is going to be making them as personalised as possible to step away from the uniform heraldry of the marines.

Game terms it's a real points sink as they are only one point cheaper than a marine with the obvious shortfalls but in rule of cool terms I really like them. If they don't work out I'll just use Sisters of Battle models when the new plastics are released.

Hahaha fantastic stuff mate, this little force will look awesome when you combine the unique look of each "marine".

I like the "play/pause" symbol as well. :P

God those truescale GK look good though! ;)

I kind of regret rushing the GKs now, I should have taken a little more time on the GS work and added all the detailing to the legs.

Couldn't agree more.

Also think the Inquistors arm could use more work, but nevermind you slapped some paint on him now. ;)

Oh, one more thing, brother; less a suggestion, and more of a polite request :D . Not sure if you're a Full Metal Jacket fan, but...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MN0ANVJTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would love to see one of your PA henchmen have a helm decoration that looked like this, peace symbol and all. Maybe even a pack of Tabac sticks strapped to the other side of the helm, like Private Joker, lol. Just a thought, man. :P

I'll see what I can do mate. :devil:

I'm not sure the peace symbol would translate into 40k but there is a viking rune that is the same but upside down that I could nab for it. Tabac or a pack of lo sticks would be easy enough. I've pretty much just thrown these guys together but it wouldn't be hard to make minor alterations. I'll have to call him "Jester". :unsure:

Just a quick update.

These are all still wip but I'm just playing around with them and having some fun with the minis. I'm definitely going to try and use the green as the base colour of the armour and add a few more that are predominantly red to tie in with the Inquisitor a little more.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ihufte.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2i0gos1.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2q85zkk.jpg

Still having great fun with the PA Henchmen and will be adding a bit of a proper back story to them later but for now I've sat down and worked out a rough army list for what I'm initially aiming to get done. This isn't designed to be a battle winner but more of a background heavy army that I can have fun painting and gaming with.

:HQ:

Inquisitor Tomas Luceros (Coteaz counts as)

Castellan (Castellan Crowe counts as)

;)

Ten man Grey Knights Strike Squad with Nemesis Force Halberds and Psybolt Ammunition.

Twelve Man Henchman Warband Warrior Acolytes with Power Armour, bolters, three with flamers (may later drop flamers in favour of plasma or meltaguns though and I may drop one acolyte and replace him with a Jokearo later on).

;)

Inquisitorial Shuttle (Storm Raven) with twin linked lascannons.

:HS:

Inquisitorial Psi-Knight Titan (counts as Dread Knight) with Gatling Psilencer, Nemesis Great Sword and Personal Teleporter.

Total: 1278pts

This leaves me 222pts for more henchmen squads and maybe work in some heavy weapons which the army is a little light on at the moment.

Sounds very good Doghosue though being completely honest I mam not a gamer so I am useless regarding points etc... on games. Am certainly looking forward to seeing more of your henchmen completed - prefer the ones with the berets thatn the helms. I assume you are using this for gaming purposes? Hows the ol' Storm Raven & Land Raider coming along? ;)

I'm adding a few more of the berets into the mix at the moment actually as I want them to look a little more human and generally speaking you don't see marines with berets that often.

The Land Raider is taking a slight back seat to the rest of the army for now but I want it built to give me an option to swap Psi-Knight out of the force in favour of a bit of serious armour. I'm playing around with the Storm Raven still at the moment because I want it to be the transport for the PA guys.

Gaming wise this army is going to have to get close with the enemy to be effective. The GKs are good all rounders when it comes to infantry thanks to the stormbolter psybolts hitting at strength five and the added boost to their initiative thanks to their halberds but are going to struggle with heavy armour even thought they have krak grenades.

The PA guys are basically a fun unit, their high saves and above average numbers should serve them well and their bolters will give them a bit of a boost. Realistically they need to take either plasma guns or melta to bolster their anti armour capabilities. Their weaknesses are mostly their lower BS and WS and lack of a squad leader to bolster their LD a bit more. If I drop one of them in favour of a Jokaero, pushing the squad points up by a further twenty points, they will gain valued support that will make them a little more versatile.

The Dread Knight is mainly there as a terror weapon as it's personal teleporter allows it to move as jump troops do and once per game it may move up to thirty inches but not engage in close combat which means that as long as it's not taking too much fire I can redeploy it quickly which can be a game changer. The gatling psilencer gives it healthy twelve strength four shots as well which isn't to be sniffed at and I'll probably use it to support the GKs.

The Storm Raven is a bit of a new one for me but other than transporting troops the twin linked lascannon should be good for tank hunting but I am expecting it to take a lot of fire.

Really though it needs more boots on the ground as an army as it looks pretty easy to tie up in close combat should the enemy get past the wall of gun fire and some more weapons for taking out tanks as it is a fairly small elite force for the time being. Henchmen Warrior Acolytes with bolters are seriously cheap so a few squads of them with the odd jokaero might make a difference but without transports they are going to have to foot slog like a lot of the force. Giving them Hot-shot Lasguns are another option as a deterrent to MEQ units but they will have to let the enemy come to them really.

The two hundred points that I have left are going to have to be spent fairly carefully but worst comes to worst I can always drop the personal teleporter on the Dread Knight for more points.

some little suggestions.

If it is not to struggling you could remove the backpacks and add rucksacks.

Have to agree with Dorns padawan some "human heads" would support your henchman concept.

Despite that, I love the whole idea and Im watching with high interest.

Im really liking the ''Dirty Dozen'' feel you have going on for the PA Henchmen.

If you do use a Jokaero, are you going to use the monkey, or make some sort of weapon festooned robot or something?

Just thinking it would be odd for these guys to have an Orangutan trailing around after them.

Archived