Imperial Fists

So here i find myself working on an imperial fists force because i had too many unpainted models and...well I hate yellow. Fortunately this works as a way to get comfortable with yellow and to mess with some other stuff i had laying around, but leads to a question on markings...but let me back up a bit

So far I have three squads in the initial mark ups. one squad i primed grey and then coated with iyanden dark sun, followed by a wash of gryphonne sepia and a second wash of delvan mud. this gave a nice deep yellow base to work off.. the other two squads started with a yellow prime (army painter system demonic yellow), which came out bright as hell, followed by a wash of gryphonne sepia and a wash of delvan mud. this brings it to a nice dusky yellow that is still relatively bright, but nicely faded down to something more eyepleasing. This also has me ready to start into the yellow blends i am testing for the armor plating, not the recesses....

This leads into the first question...would blending gryphonne and delvan 50 50 into a clean pot for a single wash have the same effect as the double layer wash? I dont have the paints with me to test this, so I thought someone else might have an idea here...

Now moving into the color blocking and knowing codex markings are pretty easy, I have to ask the second question...what color should the eagle be for imperial fists? in some pictures it looks like the eagle is red...in others it looks like the eagle is the company color (as also reflected in shoulder trim)...any ideas here? yes yes, 'what ever you think it should be' is normally the answer here, but im looking at the IA books, the FW heraldry book, and old codecii to try and figure out the 'propper' markings here

This leads into the first question...would blending gryphonne and delvan 50 50 into a clean pot for a single wash have the same effect as the double layer wash? I dont have the paints with me to test this, so I thought someone else might have an idea here...

It's only a guess but I would wager the single wash wouldn't quite have the same effect as the two-step. But nothing quite says results like a test so paint up something you don't care for and try it out on that. :pinch:

Now moving into the color blocking and knowing codex markings are pretty easy, I have to ask the second question...what color should the eagle be for imperial fists? in some pictures it looks like the eagle is red...in others it looks like the eagle is the company color (as also reflected in shoulder trim)...any ideas here? yes yes, 'what ever you think it should be' is normally the answer here, but im looking at the IA books, the FW heraldry book, and old codecii to try and figure out the 'propper' markings here

Red. It'll always be red, for me. If I imagine an Imperial Fist it's chest eagle would be red in my mind's eye.

Yeah, the IFs do red chest emblems and shoulderpad trim, and not different colors for companies.

However, i want to stay away from the Ronald McDonald look, so I'm not using red for either of those on my IFs.

They aren't limited to just red trims on the shoulders. The chest might be limited to that color, but to be honest any other color besides white might look a bit odd.

From what I've seen in the FW book the shoulder trim is company color as defined by the codex...the IA shows red trim and eagle...thus 3rd company...and one of the old codexes shows black trim and eagle. thus the scratch my head moment here.

As most fluff (and I tend to stay to the fluff for gaming and modeling) identifies the fists as second only to the ultras for codex adherence, I would assume they use codex markings...this means company color on shoulder pad trim, variations for sgts and veterans helmet colors and the like...but for the moment, I am more concerned with getting some sort of 'consensus' if you will on the eagle...so far red seems to be waht im seeing here

Imperial Fists are a codex chapter and follow it accordingly. Red shoulder trim is 3rd Company while Black shoulder trim is 5th Company (which is how I painted mine because black and yellow look best for me).

Best of luck with painting yellow! It's half the fun of a Fists army.

shoulders are the easy thing though...the eagle is whats confusing me. the studio shots show black eagle with black shoulder trim and red eagle with red trim...this would fall into line with the chest and eagle showing company colors style described in the insignium astartes...though there it only says shoulder trim shows company color and that picture is 2nd company yellow trim with red eagle...soooo hurray for trying to make sense of consistent inconsistency?

I have played Fists now, since they replaced the Crimson Fists in Fluff after RT. That said, the standard for Fists that has been "Accepted" as the "Official" markings.

1) Should trims reflect the Company markings of the Codex

2) Chest Eagles should be Red

3) Veterans are Reflected by a red stripe down the center of the helmet from front to back.

4) Sergeants display red skull badge center front of helmet.

5) Veteran Sargent display both Skull and Stripe (both red)

Modern Accepted Change

1) Since a picture was created it has become far more common for White Helmets to be used on Term's and less common on Veteran troops.

Hope this helps...

Archived