What is better?

wise_crak

hey guys,

well the question is clear:

what is better 2 5 man squads with a flamer each in 2 free razorbacks (possibly with assault cannons)

or 1 10 man squad with 2 flamers in a rhino?

Or the bike combo in post number 4

Wisey :D

I assume we're talking Codex: Blood Angels here, contrary to your .sig, as C:SM doesn't allow Razorbacks as DTs for Assault Squads.

The basic answer is "it depends". There are a lot of variables involved, not least of which is if you take 2 5 man squads that's both your mandatory Troops choices accounted for.

As a general rule of thumb, taking 2 5 man squads in Razorbacks would work best in an army where you are relying on the vehicle based firepower to do the bulk of the work & just using the Assault Squads as mop-up and objective holders. Taking the 10 man squad works best if you are actually relying on the Marines for the bulk of the killing.

The answer is neither.

If we're talking about C:SM, Assault Squads are crap, there are better uses of your FA slots.

If we're talking about C:BA, get meltas instead of flamers and put HF's on the Razorback, it's far more worth it, and preferably get a lot of them.

Well I didn't realise they couldn't take razors! Woops! :)

It is c:sm and I know they are rubbish but I thought I would need some counter attack in case I get assaulted unless there's a better assault unit in the codex....what is it haha?!

Im thinking 225 points of biker squad now!

Serg with power fist

2 flamers

1 melts attack bike

2 standard bikers

What you think?

Wisey

Bike squads shouldn't be in combat, read ShinyRhino's bike tactica for more information.

Long story short, while you can move far, can rapid fire bolters and charge, and have T5, you only have one attack each, and can't take an extra CCW. This greatly reduces the damage that they can do in assault.

I'm sorry, but if you want a counter-assault unit you want either Sternguard, who are decent in combat in addition to being amazing in shooting, Tactical Terminators who are good in assault and good at shooting, or any of the assault squads in the Codex, Honour Guard, Hammernators, Command squads etc.

Bike squads shouldn't be in combat, read ShinyRhino's bike tactica for more information.

Long story short, while you can move far, can rapid fire bolters and charge, and have T5, you only have one attack each, and can't take an extra CCW. This greatly reduces the damage that they can do in assault.

I'm sorry, but if you want a counter-assault unit you want either Sternguard, who are decent in combat in addition to being amazing in shooting, Tactical Terminators who are good in assault and good at shooting, or any of the assault squads in the Codex, Honour Guard, Hammernators, Command squads etc.

Thanks for the info!

Well I got hammernators and tactical terminators here wanting to join an army prob go with tactical for the bolters and the cyclone if I can afford the points! Already got a small stern guard squad hanging in a razor with kantor :D

Wisey

Probably the cheapest methods of forming a counter assault unit are a Command Squad (requires a Captain) or a Vanguard Squad.

However, given that you are already taking Kantor, I'd go with 5 Honour Guard (with Kantor). Not *that* expensive, fits in a Razorback, has oodles of attacks on the assault.

For a counter attack unit I use and suggest:

5man assault squad w/jump packs

Sgt. w/pwr fist

Sgt. w/storm shield

(i also give my sgt a meltabomb, but it's not necessary)

They are small enough to hide fairly easily, and have enough attacks to augment another unit already in CC or that you want to charge into CC. They can also DS anywhere else on the board for support/harrassment if you want and again, the smaller unit footprint hels with this.

My $.02

Archived