[Commission] (Custom Chapter) Sanguinary Phalanx HQ

The damage is exactly as you would on a non-metallic surface - a dark line, with a sharp highlight under it. In this case I'm using black with a touch of brown, and silver to highlight.

The head is a Warhammer Empire Knight, trimmed and greenstuffed.

Bit more done. It's really hot today, so took a break to do some photos. paint keeps drying out on the (wet!) palette. Nightmare.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/sanguinaryphalanx/chapter_master_wip7.jpg

While your technique is good, I would advise you re-check the perspectives/angles of the horizon on a lot of the armor plates. Remember that the horizon is, for all intents and purposes, a single straight line relative to the figure. If the figure is standing completely straight vertically, for example, the horizon line will be horizontal (perpendicular) to the figure.

Consider:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics5/img3ff9723bd6d98.jpg

Note how, regardless of the surface/plane and its direction, all the horizon lines follow the same perspective, curving if necessary to match (horizontal, running perpendicular to the vertical of the figure).

Yours, however, seems to not follow the same perspective for the horizon reflections. I've taken the liberty of drawing in what I think should be the proper horizon reflection lines (assuming the horizon is running horizontal, perpendicular to the figure)

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/chapter_master_corrected.jpg

DV8

I always have found the horizon painted on to reflective armour to be pointless as in real life a bronze shield wouldn't pick up the reflection of the horizon but would reflect what is closest, ie, the floor or a person etc.

And a quick Photoshop job; I colored on top of your photograph to show how the highlights should look in color.

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/chapter_master_color_corrected.jpg

DV8

I always have found the horizon painted on to reflective armour to be pointless as in real life a bronze shield wouldn't pick up the reflection of the horizon but would reflect what is closest, ie, the floor or a person etc.

I'm not entirely sure that's how mirrors work...

I have always found posts on the pointlessness of reflective armor to be pointless... :)

A reflective enough surface (polished chrome, or a mirror, for example) will reflect everything that is in front of it, regardless of distance. If there is nothing but the horizon in front if it, then it will reflect the horizon.

Never forget too that what we see of a reflection is dependent on not just the angle of the reflective surface to whatever it's reflecting, but the angle of the viewer to the reflective surface! A mirror that is vertical and perpendicular to the horizon will reflect the horizon if we're standing off to either the left/right side (or in front, but we'd show up too then), but if we're standing directly underneath or above that same mirror, all we'll see is the sky or ground, respectively.

DV8

With the exception of the shield and shoulders (where some liberties are taken to get the shape to pop more) the horizon follows the switch between an 'up' surface and a 'down' surface (being toward the top of a 'down' surface and the bottom of an 'up'.

If a flat surface is vertical, the horizon should generally be roughly in the middle of it. Pitched up or down, the surface should only really reflect sky or earth.

Cylinders at an angle therefore tend to have the horizon line run along their length, rather than across as you're showing.

Edit: Thanks for the photoshop job though - does show a few places where I could do with a lighter tone.

I have to agree. Given the light source comes from behind the model the lower portion of the armour, legs and such, would have to be much darker due to wings.

Daunting model to use SETMM. Definitely not something I would want to undertake myself.

However, nice conversion and well painted.

With the exception of the shield and shoulders (where some liberties are taken to get the shape to pop more) the horizon follows the switch between an 'up' surface and a 'down' surface (being toward the top of a 'down' surface and the bottom of an 'up'.

If a flat surface is vertical, the horizon should generally be roughly in the middle of it. Pitched up or down, the surface should only really reflect sky or earth.

Cylinders at an angle therefore tend to have the horizon line run along their length, rather than across as you're showing.

Yes and no. I understand what you're saying, but that is more behavior we see in perfectly cylindrical shapes, such as pistons and hydraulics, or say spear shafts. Space Marine armor (to me) has a taper to it that would react much more similarly to an ovoid or elliptical shape than a cylinder.

http://www.fletcho.com/archives/2005_05_02-05_08/images/_DSC2240_05_07.jpg

Note the horizon on both the pistons and the plates (I dunno what they're called, the thingies that cover the pistons at certain points and hold it in place...fasteners?)

http://vstar3d.com/uploads/images/articles/Chrome%20Texture/Chrome%20texture%2006.jpg

This illustrates my point well, where the central portion of the cylinder remains relatively horizontal (central in relation to us), while the edges curve upwards to exhibit the vertical behavior you propose. The only problem is if we rotate the object and change our relation to the object, the central portion should still remain horizontal, while the edges continue to curve. Obviously given your model is supposed to be viewed from any point, you can't mimic that kind of reflection unless you paint the model in reflective chrome (or other suitably reflective paint).

Thus we have to assume that at every point we paint, that we are looking dead on at the model and thus it is reflecting dead on the horizon from that point. It seems more appropriate then to paint a relatively horizontal horizon (with some curvature to accentuate the shape of the armor) so that the reflection is almost right from every angle you look at it, rather than right from a few, and wrong from the rest. (I hope all that make sense :S )

Edit: Thanks for the photoshop job though - does show a few places where I could do with a lighter tone.

No problem (I'm just really really REALLY bored at work). Don't get me wrong, your model is fantastic, but I think given the above, there are artistic interpretations that I would do differently with the treatment of the horizon. Unfortunately as we don't have real Space Marine armor (unless some models it in chrome in 3d and renders it...hint hint) to compare to, all we can do is postulate on how the armor would treat the horizon. From an artistic standpoint I think it running vertically looks weird, and it ruins the SETMM look you have, where it running horizontally around with some curvature gets the point across much more effectively, if not necessarily being 100% true to how a chrome-like surface would reflect.

All that being said, I profess my knowledge of sky-earth reflections is not exactly strong, and I could just be blowing smoke out my ass.

Bottom line: artistically, it looks weird, and the horizon line (to me) running vertical breaks the effect of SETMM that you want to achieve, where running the horizon horizontally brings it across more (if breaking some laws of physics).

DV8

Aye, it'd be interesting to see you have a crack at this. It's a lot of fun. I can't make your interpretation make sense (to me) and vice versa I think. Edit: This reads a bit off to me but I can't think how to rephrase it - no dig intended, really would like to see you have a go!

Interestingly these SG legs have very flat profiles to the point that I suspect they're actually tapered cylinders. Normal SM legs have the ovoid properties (they're a bit bulgy, for want of a better description) and I think would have a more pronounced curved horizon.

Aye, it'd be interesting to see you have a crack at this. It's a lot of fun. I can't make your interpretation make sense (to me) and vice versa I think. Edit: This reads a bit off to me but I can't think how to rephrase it - no dig intended, really would like to see you have a go!

No I get it, my treatment of the horizon would look weird to you, and vice versa, your treatment of the horizon looks weird to me.

It's an interesting thought...I may try it when I paint my Castellan Crowe/Justicar Weiss conversion. I might start tomorrow...

Interestingly these SG legs have very flat profiles to the point that I suspect they're actually tapered cylinders. Normal SM legs have the ovoid properties (they're a bit bulgy, for want of a better description) and I think would have a more pronounced curved horizon.

Naw they still share the same slight taper that Space Marine legs have.

DV8

Incidentally OSL over SETMM is really, really difficult to pull off. I just had to repaint most of the left side of the armour. Not sure if I'm brave enough to have another go... first time I'm wishing I'd gone NMM on this.

No doubt you undertook a very difficult task but I believe there are rewards beyond the completed miniature. Overall skill and understanding will increase and that in itself makes the fustration worth it. Easy for me to say... :wallbash:

Haha yea OSL + SETNMM do not bed fellows make. I'd be surprised if you had any hair left after this! ;)

It's decided, I'm gonna try it on my Justicar Weiss starting tomorrow. Now the question is SETMM or SENMM. Probably SETMM, make it interesting for myself.

DV8

It's decided, I'm gonna try it on my Justicar Weiss starting tomorrow. Now the question is SETMM or SENMM. Probably SETMM, make it interesting for myself.

DV8

You guys are a couple of suckers for punishment.

DV8, you know you want to OSL a forceblade. You know you do.

Edit: Thank you Sir, Can I have another?

http://www.uplolit.com/media/201110/14964b888160fc5b19a19c365cdbb3e9.jpg

DV8

Archived