[Commission] (Custom Chapter) Sanguinary Phalanx HQ

Bit more done. OSL over the SETMM is not easy. Ended up having to repaint the left side of the armour. It's pretty subtle but it's starting to work. Might push it a bit more later on.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/sanguinaryphalanx/chapter_master_wip8.jpg

It's pretty simple;

Basecoat the whole thing dark red (VMC Burnt Cadmium Red)

Then blend in patches of black, working alternate sides (VMC Flat Black), typical force/power sword style

Then blend in red (GW Blood Red)...

... orange ( GW Blood Red/Golden Yellow)

... yellow (GW Golden Yellow)

... yelllow /white (GW Golden Yellow/ GW Skull White)

Lighting and edge highlights with the yellow/white mix, final spots of pure white here and there.

Impressive mini ! Kinda like the idea of the sword, its a brillant one.

DV8 is quite right about the horizon thingy way of painting, considering the horizontal vue is essential but its a bit too late and the mini is really impressive this way already. And on a real real horizon matelic painting, you MUST paint the small guy taking the photo on every reflective part and THAT is quite a pain... Better go cutting the tallest tree of Tanith with the Emprah's herring !

DS

The bit about the this thread that amazes me the most is not the amazing painting, but that someone from Nottingham utters the never before heard phrase 'it's too hot here!' :D

Proper british attitude. We don't moan when it rains, or when it's cold, but when it's a nice day.

The gold is a fairly lengthy process:

Scorched brown base

Scorched brown + VMC Bronze

Devlan Mud wash (quite heavy)

Black line horizon (VMC Flat black, chaos black, whatever)

Blend From Black through Black + VMC Leather Brown to VMC Leather brown ground shade / high shade

Blend VMC Leather Brown through VMC Bronze, VMC Old Gold to VMC Silver + a bit of VMC Old Gold highlight.

Edge highlights with VMC Silver + Old Gold

Extreme highlights with VMC Silver

Scratches Black + VMC Leather brown highlight with VMC Silver.

At all points tidying up with glazes of various mixes to keep things as smooth as possible and ensure high contrast for the edge highlights.

Also the occasional directed wash with devlan mud and / or a black/brown mix to keep some things defined.

Edit: The rain doesn't dry my palette. Damn sunshine. It also messes up my photography.

Continues to look excellent. The only quibble I have is with the OSL on the model's right pectoral (opposite the sword). The OSL there is looking a little sloppy and could be refined for a more subtle gradient.

I've started my Justicar Weiss, and I'm almost done the initial SETMM on the armor. Interestingly it seems that in the process of experimenting I'm straddling the line between SETMM and SENMM, as I'm using some non-metallic colors in my shading and highlights. So on the one hand I'm cheating a little, but on the other hand, I can force the shadows and highlights more easily because the glare from ambient/environmental lights doesn't affect the treatment of the armor.

Seeing as you're doing entirely SETMM, how do you find your metallics working under harsh and/or soft lights? How does the SE effect look under different kinds of lighting?

DV8

I'm using non-metallics in the shade portion, progressively less metal in the mix as it approaches black. This is needed to prevent the shade catching glare. Conversely, as I work up I go towards pure VMC silver as I want that to catch as much light as possible. What you see in the pics is pretty much what you get, the horizon being matt doesn't get lost by glare.

Where the OSL gets tricky is in keeping the glare that provides the bulk of the metallic highlight effect - using a matt 'light' colour knocks back the shininess. It's at that sort of point where you suddenly realise that NMM is much more forgiving for playing with light effects.

I might try getting hold of some Vallejo metallic medium for super-highlights and trying to put a shine on the OSL.

Bumped the OSL a bit, following a friend's advice. Need to smooth it out a bit on the chest, but I like how it's going now. Started on the wings... lots of weathering to do on those.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/sanguinaryphalanx/chapter_master_wip9.jpg

only crit is, you have OSL on the hand, but not on the sword hilt. if the light hits the hand it logically has to hit the sword hilt also

while my old painting (or even my new) is far behind your own, here is an example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/blindhamster/bloodangelscompany/a9.jpg

Why would light from the sword blade hit the side of the quillion (cross guard)? The forward face of the hilt occludes it. I have lit the forward face, but the fact you've not spotted it means it needs to be stronger.

I'm with blindmaster, in that while you can see the lighting on the hilt, I can't help feeling it need a very subtle tint of orange like the hand has, and the face might be a little too subtle (but please don't go overboard, as the face looks awesome already).

Awesome model by the way, I have to check it nightly because I'm drooling waiting for updates. Amazing work dude, you're an inspiration.

-joe

Hi,

This is just amazing. Im currently learning NMM (not the Sky-earth stuff just yet), and also trying glowing eyes. Im quite happy with my finished 1st attempt although i could add a few more layers. I'm astounded by this, it puts my stuff to shame. Really well done you should be chuffed. Hope i can learn the TMM stuff one day, this has been inspirational to watch!

Awesome.

Thanks for the info on how the gold was painted. Im going to have to give that a try. Or maybe something similar with silver on a grey knight.

Im liking the OSL.... The sword isnt that bright (which I like) so I dont really think the OSL should be that overpowering/obvious either.

Archived