Codex Astartes: Favoured Approach

DarkGuard

OK then, things have slowed down on this tactics forum, seems most people have had questions answered etc. In an earlier thread I mentioned a Sternguard Tactica I have in the works, and I have finally started that. However, it'll still take some time, and it has sparked this idea in me, which is also influenced by the Rules Trivia on the OR forum by Tanhausen.

So, basically, the Codex Astartes lays out the guidelines of warfare followed by Marines. It has the answer to every tactical problem you can think of, and more besides! What I want this thread to be, is eventually a collection of the preferred methods in tackling certain situations and covering unit roles on the tabletop. And these preferred methods will not be dictated by the tabletop, but rather by you! I'll give a role that needs performing, and you let me know your favoured unit or units for performing said role, and even maybe why you favour them! This will evolve into favoured units against armies over time, but lets keep this simple at first. After a couple of days I'll switch to another question. I'd prefer it to be me to switch question, as if this gets enough attention it'll be easier to sum up all the points in one, big 101 post, to go with the current 101s we have on the board.

Also guys, I know a lot of us have our own different ideas on the units that best fit the roles at hand, and discussing such units is great. However, this isn't the time or place to do it, in this thread. Lets just accept the stuff other people like, although if you see one you or used to use feel free to comment, but only positive comments please. If, of course, there is a particular squad or unit you don't agree with, and want to have discussion with it then a new thread may be the best thing for it, we can get by arguing away in that one while smiling on this one :).

So, to start of with, the basics.

Scoring units, perhaps the most important unit you can use, as these guys will win you 2/3 games just by surviving. So, let me know which you use, and if you have dedicated objective takers and holders, which are which.

For example, I prefer to have 10 man squad with either combi-flamer/flamer or combi-plasma/plasma, paired with a multi-melta and in a Tactical squad in a Rhino to capture objectives. The MM is heavy weapon of choice due to the fact that it's free, and is a very powerful weapon. S8, AP1 and melta means that tanks don't want to get close, and it can help against MCs and MEQ as well, in short, a fantastic area denial weapon. The short range means nothing to me as I don't combat squad these units, and they will often be in midfield. Furthermore, I tend to use a dedicated backfield objective holder, so again, range is covered by them. The flamer pattern is for cheapness and anti-horde, and still matches up well with the MM, especially when using Vulkan. The plasma is for anti-MEQ and light vehicles, while the boltguns are still sufficient against infantry. Furthermore, the range bands of plasma guns and MMs match up, making them a deadly pairing, especially when firing out of a Rhino. Rhinos are essential to protect your squad and get them to where they need to be, and the top hatch is pivotal.

My backfield objective holders are either a 5 man squad in a las plas Razorback, sometimes with a combi-flamer if points permit, or a 5 man Scout squad with camo cloaks, sniper rifles and sometimes a heavy bolter. I prefer trying to fit a backfield objective holder into games from 1500pts, and will make sure they're there for 1750pts. They free up my two midfield squad (above), allowing me to use them to their best ability. The las plas is preferred due to protection from small arms fire, mobility, and the range and damage of a lascannon, while the plasma gun is good for when MEQ gets close. The Scouts though are a cheap and survivable alternative, meant to just survive, not do damage.

Fire away!

I (generally) equip all my tactical squads the same way. I'm a big believer in and enthusiast of their 'jack-of-all-trades' approach. I run 3 tac squads (in my 1500pt TAC list) all with flamer, lascannon, Sgt. W/pwr wpn, Bolt Pistol and Melta-bombs in a Rhino. I also always go for full Tac squads.

I find that the Lascannon affords me much better AT than the MM due (almost entirely) to it's range, and combat squading (mission/opponent dependant) the Lascannon with 4 bolter marines offers me a larger gunline/firebase that can (almost) always contribute to the fight. Even when not combat squaded the lascannon offers up solid AT/shooting for the tac squad in the (relative) safety of their rhino or at the beginning of the game.

Meanwhile the flamer, Pwr Wpn/MB Sgt. and the Rhino offer me much better assaulting for whatever falls out of the opponent's armor I've popped. The flamer offering me anti-horde (albiet at close range/assault range) with a cover ignoring template, and with frag grenades being standard now (along with bolt pistols), my Sgt. (with however many marines in tow) can seriously threaten more than his fair share of opponents due to his SM statline and afformentioned wargear. Striking at initiative with 3 (4 on the charge) Pwr Wpn attacks in addition to however many other marines are in the squad is a respectable assault.

Then there's the remaining 7 bolter marines offering mid-range shooting with their ubiquitous bolters, additional attacks in CC, and ablative wounds.

Even back in 3rd/4th (though I was a Word Bearers player then) I've also always been an advocate of Rhinos. Due to powerarmor saves being so good, even with a vehicle destroyed result (in previous editions) your marines were generally unharmed, and still today, pinning tests are hardly a worry (though possible). However, due to the prevelance of marines being played, almost every one of your opponents will have a way (or more) to negate their powerarmor saves, so again, the rhino offers up that much more protection for them. Last, but not least, mobility is a key factor in an army's successfulness, and this is another reason to take a rhino.

The only questionable (to some ;)) part of my chosen set-up is the addition of melta-bombs to my Tac Sgts. They offer the ability to deter tank-shock almost to the point of never having to worry about it. The melta-bomns are also usefull for when/if you are assaulted by a walker with AV and can help deter (or at least make your opponent think a bit more about) this.

Hope this helps and that I've understood your goal properly Darkguard.

Yup, you've understood it perfectly, although you've added all the text as to why. I was just envisioning saying what we like to use, but I like your way of explaining it better :lol:.

May I also just make it clear to all that this is not the place to debate, question, and attack other people's set-ups. There are other threads for this. This thread is to see what people like, see what is popular, and see what is unusual, and therefore take something new from the thread. I'm now going to edit my previous post with the info on why I like my squads.

EDIT: fixed first post with info on why.

My current list at 1500 points has a full tac squad with flamer & LC, and 2 5man scout squads. One scout squad has PF, combimelta, and CCW+BP (rides in LSS), and the other has ML, sniper rifles, and Telion. It's a pretty fragile troops section, but the rest of the army has most of the "killy" factor in sternguard, vanguard, and scout bikes.

The tac squad usually combat squads with the LC sitting in the backfield/on objective and sniping away. The sarge and flamer hop in their rhino to go capture objectives and support the sternguard & vanguard. I chose the flamer to help out a bit with hordes, and because points were tight. I've got anti-armor covered in the other parts of the army anyways.

The LSS scouts rush up and beat face, assisted by the scout bikes and a podded dread. The sniper scouts either infiltrate onto another objective, or into a spot where they can get some ML shots into side or rear armor.

So, to start of with, the basics.
Scoring units, perhaps the most important unit you can use, as these guys will win you 2/3 games just by surviving. So, let me know which you use, and if you have dedicated objective takers and holders, which are which.

I'm a big fan of the basic chaos marine because they're just so flexible and adaptable. My preferred setup is:

10 CSMs, 2 meltaguns, champion with power fist in a rhino.

The unit is somewhat expensive, coming it at around 250 points but it can do almost anything. Bolters and chainswords to the face will handle most infantry units while the melta/fist combo is enough S8 to fry a tank or two. This means I can send them where ever they need to be on the battlefield and they can find something to kill. The lack of a heavy weapon also frees me up from being static so its always go, go, go.

As you guys know, my 3rd Company Ultramarines is all about Ardias (aka Kantor) allowing Sternguard to be scoring, and everyone in range to be inspired.

My objective holders tend NOT to be the sternguard - they are always too busy doing other things, and objectives are not their primary function.

Objective holding midfield is a Tactical squad job. 10, MM, MG or PG, Sergeant, PF, combiflamer, rhino, HKM do it best for me. As stated above, these guys can take objectives or collect kill points. Either wayy they are a winner.

A backfield objective is usually tasked at best to a short tactical squad with a razorback. Maybe a power weapon for the sergeant. 5 man squads. They stay in the ride being safe UNLESS they need to be bait or other tactical purpose.

When I use scouts, they are commonly snipers, and just too busy to be objective campers. They need terrain and elevation to be most effective, and sometimes it just is not possible to match that up with an objective, especially when many tournament settings now dictate locations for objectives.

OK then, thanks for all the replies so far guys, we've had a nice spread of different units for the job of scoring units, which is good to see.

Now, we're going to move onto HQ units! Just want to get this one out of the way and then we'll do the interesting stuff like close combat units and such.

So, every army needs a leader, and all the Codices have a huge variety of leaders. Which leader do you take? It can be a generic HQ unit or a special character.

So, I'm normally taking a Chapter Master at the moment. Reasons why are for fluff reasons, he represents the First Captain of my Chapter, commanding the Third Company, and also so I can take the Honour Guard unit, a unit I've wanted to try out for a while, and to which I'm addicted to now. I follow the vaunted Idaho pattern HG, so my Master has a relic blade, storm shield and digi weapons, while I take 5 Honour Guard, with a relic blade on the Chapter Champion and the Chapter Banner on a standard guy. These guys ride in a Rhino with dozer blade, mainly because I haven't got a heavy bolter available for the arguably fluffier Razorback, and also because the dozer blade brings the Rhino to the same points cost and I can go through terrain to where I'm needed more easily. It also lets me get off an orbital bombardment if it's appropriate at the time, without having to be outside.

The other HQ I take at times, is the Librarian, typically with Null Zone and Avenger. Ran him in a Sternguard squad, and Null Zone would mess up a lot of elite units, while Avenger was handy against Marines. Unfortunately, people got wise to this and started running Runes of Warding, their own Librarians, Rune Priests etc, which limited his effectiveness to the point that I'd hardly ever get a power off and not block their. In the end the raw power of the Captain/Master won out, but in bigger points games (like 2000pts) the Libby will most likely get back in.

So what HQ choices do you guys take?

EDIT: Oh, and congrats minigun for ascending to the rank of Moderati, a good pick if I say so myself :).

So, every army needs a leader, and all the Codices have a huge variety of leaders. Which leader do you take? It can be a generic HQ unit or a special character.

Chaos is a bit more limited then other armies out there in that almost all of their HQs focus completely on "kill maim burn". That being said, I find the basic winged daemon prince to be my best buy. 130 points gets me a flying bullet magnet that needs at least 4 wounds to take him out since he's immune to ID. With both a decent armor save and a moderate inv save (or good use of cover) he'll typically absorb a fair amount of incoming fire before being banished back to the warp. The key here is that all that firepower directed to the daemon prince isn't going towards my rhinos or other units, letting them get in close. On the off chance I'm lucky and actually get to assault anything with my daemon prince, I always try to hunt heavy armor as S6 + 2d6 will typically tear a tank apart.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats minigun for ascending to the rank of Moderati, a good pick if I say so myself :).

Thank you, I appreciate that and I'll try to do my best for the board, even if I am a Chaos traitor. ^_^

I use Kantor for my HQ. Kantor offers up some great special rules such as Orbital Bombardment, an entire board anti-horde/AT large ordnance. He also offers scoring Sternguard (not to be confused with troops, they stay elites) and a +1 attack bubble to nearby troops (but not himself).

I usually stick him with my Sternguard squad (in a Rhino) and use him more as the Sgt of the squad than a solo machine/CC machine due (mostly) to his wargear (to me) being perfectly matched for this role.

The most important (and army changing) bonus Kantor offers is that he replaces your army's combat tactics with the Stubborn USR. This is both a blessing and a curse. Because of Stubborn I (and everyone else using him should) equip your units that will now be Stubborn to be able to deal with CC as the can no longer try to leave it. This is why my Tac squad Sgts. all have Pwr Wpns and Melta-bombs (to allow them the ability to take on the majority of the enemy) along with another upgraded Assault Squad Sgt. and a Dread (which will be touched upon later).

Edit: Something I was going to mention in a different section, but really belongs here, is that I will move Kantor with my Sternguards in their Rhino up to support units in CC with his +1 attack bubble. This way here my units in CC are that much more potent as well as my Sternguard and Kantor are positioned to either join the fight should they be needed, or to rapid-fire/Plasma Cannon the enemy should they fell my units.

My HQ choice depends on my desired army composition; if I intend to go heavy with boots on the ground, I take Kantor and scoring Sternguard for upfield and Scouts for backfield. That has already been described fairly thoroughly, so I'll skip to the next. If I intend to go vehicle-heavy, my HQ of choice is Cassius.

Cheap and effective, there's something to be said about a Toughness 6 Chaplain with FnP wielding a master-crafted combi-flamer loaded with hellfire shells, all for only 25 points more than a regular Chaplain. All by himself he's nothing to write home about, but that's kind of the point- not investing in a huge HQ that limits my choices in other areas. Attaching him to a Tactical squad, that unit becomes much more of a threat than an ordinary Tactical squad, and it becomes a secondary counter-assault unit to protect my Heavy Support and Elite choices who do the real killing.

As a Dark Angel player I include at least one Deathwing Terminator squad 99.9% of the time. And if you include a DW squad, you might as well take Belial to make them troops!

He's actually a pretty rubbish HQ really; T4, WS5, 5++ and no Eternal Warrior. However, he's only 130 pts regardless of weapon loadout, unlocks DW apothecaries and standard bearers, and for what he brings to the table he is indespensible if you run Terminators.

For this reason, he features in the vast majority of DA lists, often with claws to make use of his I5 and to get an extra A, or with TH/SS for longevity. The same goes for Sammael with RW forces. Other HQ choices rarely get a look in if you play DA at 1.5k points and below. It seems a shame that the codex almost forces us to over-rely on these characters, but them's the breaks...

Cassius, Vulkan, or a libby for me, for the previously stated reasons. Exactly who depends on the particular army list of course.

Vulkan has yet to really be touched upon, if you'd like to explain your use of him.

Oh, oh, I'll explain my use for him ;)

Basically, when I feel like getting some massive twin-linkage for most of the units in my army I'll take Vulkan. This guy is amazing, for the price of 190pts he has arty armour, a MC-relic blade, digi weapons, storm shield and twin-linked heavy flamer. And, he twin-links all the flamers and meltas in my army, and I take a lot when taking him. 2 combi-flamer, flamer, MM Tactical squads, 2 MM/HF Speeders, Sternguard squad with 1-2 heavy flamers and 3 combi-meltas. True, that's not as much as I could take, but I try not to sacrifice long-range firepower just for a few flamers, even if they are twin-linked. But now my meltas hardly ever miss, and even a Tactical squad can put serious hurt on any squad in the game, near enough. Seriously, after you see what 14 twin-linked flamer hits do to Marines you'll only go back out of pity for your opponent. And let's not get started about 3 twin-linked heavy flamers hits. And, with Vulkan my Sternguard have a hard combat character to lead them into any counter-charges. Twin-linked heavy flamers are good by themselves, so their nature becomes more assaulty.

In short, I use Vulkan as a force multiplier who increases the damage output of a large portion of my army. However, I only use him sparingly, and normally only in competitive play.

Cassius, Vulkan, or a libby for me, for the previously stated reasons. Exactly who depends on the particular army list of course.

Vulkan has yet to really be touched upon, if you'd like to explain your use of him.

Oh, oh, I'll explain my use for him :D ... In short, I use Vulkan as a force multiplier who increases the damage output of a large portion of my army. However, I only use him sparingly, and normally only in competitive play.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Especially the last part. :P

Do you guys typically pair Vulkan with any particular unit(s)? Do you typically run him as I run Kantor (more of a support role) or more as a front-liner?

I realize that due to his price+wargear+special rules allow him (of all the special characters IMO) the greatest leeway in usage, so I'm just a bit more curious as to whether this affects the way you use him (specifically), or if you have a se role for your army/HQ and just plop him into that role because he can fulfill it?

(desperately trying to steer clear here of calling Vulkan a horridly undercosted steal of a SC ;))

Edit:

Just realized Darkguard did say he runs him with Sternguard. My apologies.

Since Vulkan confers his benefits to his army no matter where he is or even if he's alive or not, it just makes sense to get him front and center, right into the action ASAP.

I don't have a particular place or unit to put him in - just depends on the army build. He's great in CC, though you gotta watch out for those powerfists.

My favoured approach to building an army in 40K isn't so simple as a force organisation by force organisation breakdown of choices. I typically do the following:

I evaluate what you need to do in games of 40K to win games and compare it to the army list as a whole. At it's core this means travelling the table under fire/disruption from the opponent to take or contest objectives, whilst maintaining the ability to kill the opponent without losing too much in reply.

Seems simple, but this means different things to every Codex army list, and your approach to this dictates your choice of units within an army.

Space Marines struggle to match the damage output potential of Imperial Guard or the quality of Chaos and Space Wolves armies, or the speed of Blood Angels, Eldar or Dark Eldar. Space Marines do have one thing others cannot do though and that is tenacity and dependability, plus can usually do a niche other more specialised armies cannot.

I couple this with a balanced list that gives me a counter to the other armies which have strengths over me. The army has to have ranged punch, assault potential, mobility and survivability.

So going back to the original tenents of winning games of 40K with Space Marines, baring in mind the strengths of our list against the strengths and weaknesses of other lists, I choose a selection of units that complement eachother in working together to achieve the goal of winning me a game.

I know I want a strong assault potential, because part of winning the game of 40K is threat and forced potential recognition for the opponent. I am also a stickler for not having too many points tied up in single models, therefore Landraiders were out. This meant my Honour Guard from 4th edition were the obvious choice for a unit to play with. This obviously tied me into choosing a generic Master. But then this didn't force me to do something I really didn't want to, as I would have chosen a Captain to harder my assault element anyway.

Also we know we need a solid core of infantry in a Marines list to survive and also hold objectives, especially without hard-boiled Landraiders increasing the resliance of the army. We have to take at least 2 Troops choices and that means Tactical squads fit the bill here.

Making a balanced list requires increased firepower to combat faster moving, mechanised and just about any other list yo can think of, so putting decent heavy weapons into the Tactical squads saves points as I get dual use out of the same choice for just 10pts or so. However, the increased numbers of the army also helps to support the assault element I had already chosen (Honour Guard and Master) with bodies, threat from their weapons up close or just the opponents need to eliminate my scoring units.

You can see where I'm going with this, so I won't carry on lest I become patronising! Suffice to say, the army is chosen altogether in a view to establish mutal support and save points efficiently.

Do you guys typically pair Vulkan with any particular unit(s)? Do you typically run him as I run Kantor (more of a support role) or more as a front-liner?

I realize that due to his price+wargear+special rules allow him (of all the special characters IMO) the greatest leeway in usage, so I'm just a bit more curious as to whether this affects the way you use him (specifically), or if you have a se role for your army/HQ and just plop him into that role because he can fulfill it?

(desperately trying to steer clear here of calling Vulkan a horridly undercosted steal of a SC :P)

Edit:

Just realized Darkguard did say he runs him with Sternguard. My apologies.

Yup, I literally plop him in my Sternguard squad instead of my Libby and tell him to deal with it, not Hammernator ret for him :D

@maturin, yeah I find for non-competitive, friendly play he's not the friendliest model to put on the table.

@Captain Idaho, a good post there, and one I think many people should read and learn from, it is pivotal for list building.

Right now, time to move on. So, we've established the units that are vital to our plan, our scoring units, our HQs. But sometimes, everything doesn't go according to plan, and things go badly. In this time we need something that can dig us out of these holes.

So, when things are going bad, what unit do you like to use in a counter-attack/counter-assault role? Note this can be assaulty or shooty.

Now, for me, I used to prefer a Sternguard squad. Around 8 men, one either way, with a power fist, heavy flamer or two, and three combi-meltas in a Rhino, often with dozer blade. Normally accompanied by my HQ as well, this unit will use the Rhino to get to the trouble spot as quickly as possible, through terrain if needed thanks to the dozer blade. Their equipment lets them handle any situation, from determined infantry assault, to taking out a battle tank, while their power fist, heavy flamer, and character lets them deal with combat all right.

Now, however, I use an Honour Guard squad, Idaho pattern (5 men, Chapter Banner, relic blade on Chapter Champion), accompanied by my RB/SS Chapter Master, in a Rhino with dozer blade. Stick it near the centre of my lines, in particular my midfield squads, these guys can react to nearly threat and take it out, or at least tie it up in combat. I find these guys do more damage than Sternguard thanks to the total of 20 power weapon and 10 relic blade attacks I can get on the charge, whole units literally disappear. Also means I have a good, dedicated assault unit, which is always good.

So guys, what counter-attack unit do you use?

I have a 5man Assault squad with jump packs and a Sgt with a Power Fist, Melta-Bombs and Storm Shield. I've found that the smaller unit footprint helps with both deepstriking and hiding them (behind an advancing Rhino for instance). I use them in conjuntion with my afforementioned Tac squads for assault/counter-assault.

The reason for the loadout is that, (IMO) assault squad's weapon selections do not actually help them, assault, only shoot better. The exception to this is the squad's Sgt., which is why I've given him a power fist, melta-bombs and a storm shield. These three selections of wargear actually do directly affect assault. With the Sgt. I now have a rapid response/extremely mobile powerfist and melta-bombs at my disposal, with a 3+ invulnerable save (and 4 ablative yet capable assault marines or 'wounds') that, along with the rest of my army, is stubborn, and not going anywhere once he gets into CC.

Meanwhile, the whole squad also remains extremely cheap (140pts.), especially when compared to Vanguard Veterans, who can perform the same job (better), but at much too high a points cost for me.

I also will try and get Kantor with my 6man Sternguard squad with a Plasma Cannon (hopefully still) in their Rhino up within 12" of an assault to lend my units an extra +1 attack from Kantor, as well as have the added bonus of having my sternguard in rapidfire range if my units are felled, or to jump into the fray should that be a better option lending that many more attacks from 6 sternguard and another powerfist from Kantor.

Edit: Forgot the melta-bombs :(.

So guys, what counter-attack unit do you use?

Is it bad that for some reason I heard Ray William Johnson's voice when I read this? (Does anyone even know who he is? :) ).

Anyways, to the question asked, I don't really have a counter-assault element. Assault is a very definitive way of killing a unit, it's also a very dangerous way of killing a unit. After all, in assault unless you wipe the other unit, you're going to get hit back regardless of the unit, that's still a chance to lose models. Shooting doesn't have this problem, when you shoot them, they can't shoot back until it's their turn.

Also, assault units tend to be expensive, as they either require a large number of attacks or power weapons (both is awesome though), an invulnerable save or high initiative (again both is awesome), and a method by which to actually get into assault. Marines have really only 2 units that fit this bill: Command Squads and TH/SS terminators. Command Squads can be mounted on bikes so they don't need a transport, but TH/SS terminators practically require either Shrike or Land Raider which is another points investment. Honor Guard look cool and all, but in the end they're still only I4 and Invulnerable save-less, and with Dark Eldar floating around your I4 means nothing, and since you've got nothing to protect from power weapons...well you're kinda screwed.

Now, of course the question says it can be shooty too, in that case I'd have to go with Sternguard or good ol' tacticals. Sternguard are the obvious choice, honestly, what can't they do offensively? Tacticals are cheap, and I bring plenty so despite them being troops, I sometimes don't mind putting them in harms way. Another option I would potentially use is the Plasma Command Squad, great for those de-meched squads.

I tend to run my jump pack libby with a 6-8 man assault squad, flamer and powerfist. Lay down the Avenger template, followed by the flamer template and a small barrel of bolt pistol fire, and then assault what is left. If you are worried about wound allocation shenanigans, move the libby out seperate (distance allowing) so his attacks are resolved seperately.

Yes, the libby often dies, but I find the squad often kills what you sent it to deal with while your scoring units go about their business.

RoV

Some good diverse counter-attack units. As Tyrion said, it's just not about assault this question, which is why I chose counter-attack :(.

Keep this up guys, good stuff being said here.

Regular (not Assault) Terminators.

You wait for the enemy to develop their attack, and then your Terminators materialise (thanks to your Teleport Homer) to tip the odds in your favour.

Works even better if you have Tigurius around to bring them in right when you need them... nowt quite like precision timing and precision placement.

Archived