Reedemer vs Tyranids

Brother_Ovis

I am preparing for a 1750 pts battle with the 'Nids next weekend and I was thinking that my LR Reedemer could be put to good use here. The thing is, it's still in the box and while I can assemble it pronto, I won't have the time to finish painting the interior, so in fact I can't just glue it together. So the question is - is it worth to try some tricks to field it anyway, you know, held together with a metaphorical chewing gum and pieces of wire, or the Nids have a way of eating LR's for breakfast? I've never played against them :D

Nids can struggle against Land Raiders. Redeemer is probably the best of the bunch against them. The only threat you have to worry about is Monsterous Creatures assaulting it (Carnifex = S9/10+2d6) or Zoanthropes dropping from the sky in spore pods. You can take steps to mitigate both of these threats. Careful depoyment and bubble-wrapping of rhinos works well against Zoanthropes, and a librarian to stop their psychic power (18" S10 AP1 lance). Against the Monsterous creatures, you can kill them with missiles or other shooting, you can block with rhinos, kill them with thunderhammers, or just move fast so they hit on sixes. Keep in mind that they can re-roll most misses so moving fast is a last resort; better to kill them first.

EDIT: You could also face a Tyrannofex, but they aren't seen much as they are quite expensive and not that accurate.

Bottom line. If you can do it, redeemer is good against nids. But not so good I would risk ruining a model. You can get a fair game against nids without one of the flamewagons.

-Myst

Plus, a tank that drives towards a nid player will make their beady little eyes light up with glee.

Same as when you fight Orks, since both struggle against AV14 apart from in close combat. They'll still struggle a bit, but not as much.

The problem 'nid players have with assaulting LRs with MCs is that even if they do manage to kill the raider, they 100% know they are going to get charged by 5 THammer wielding Terminators next turn. It presents them some issues.

I've found in the past that it's even between the LRR and LRC, even at range. The LRC has the ability to sit at range and pepper the Nids with plenty of shots, which will be more effective if the Nid player spreads out. It also lets you be more flexible.

But then if they're using Venomthropes or using cover well, the Redeemer is better for ignoring armour saves, and more deadly if they're bunched up. Beware Carnifexes and possibly Trygons if you're up close. I don't rate T-Fexes or Zoanthropes as a Nid player though, the T-fex is too expensive and too inaccurate, and the Zoanthrope has too many dice rolls. Seriously, roll psychic power test, roll for psychic hood if applicable, roll to hit, roll to pen, roll on damage table. It gets ridiculous, and they're not reliable as a result of it. I'd be more worried of glancing hits from Hive Guard!

Being an old GK player, and having used LR's for years versus everything, I've played all three variants against different 'Nid armies, including several "Deathwatch" games where I ran Redeemers filled with codex marines. The Redeemer comes out ahead against high count, low strenght 'Nids, as you can just plow along and burn-baby-burn. Crusaders were excellent with the old 3rd ed Huricane rules, but not so good using current addition rules. Godhammers only fair well at range for the most part, and have to combine fire on MC's to down them, so you need two.

In summary, 2 Redeemers are the bomb (in a dual-Raider list), 1 Redeemer edges out 1 Crusader (in a single-Raider list). Always fill with anti-big-stuff units, to handle those ":blink:" moments.

SJ

Archived