ARTWORK- wip character design for graphical novel

Holy crap! It almost looks like a photo! Mel Gibson the Adeptus Astartes!

EDIT: BTW, whatever happened to Angron?

Cheers Malika, I actually used Michael Fassbender as ref though...

Angron is still being worked on, this is a pet project I have worked on for.....seven years....

It's very much on and off. I have an article about it on DakkaDakka....its in the sig of my posts.

Wow that is most definitely very pro. I really look forward to seeing the graphic novel! Will it be available on the internet or do you have a publisher and stuff?

I love the bell, it actually really helped inspire me to start work on my dreadnought (it has a bell too) :D

I love the bell, it actually really helped inspire me to start work on my dreadnought (it has a bell too) :D

So the enemy can hear him coming? ^_^

So the enemy can hear him coming? ^_^

"Send not to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Was quite inspired by that quote aswell of course :D

Ahh yes Brother-Grand Moff Tarkin. Lot of him going around lately. Very nice work Colrouphobic.

Tarkin; that's what I was thinking - it looks a fair bit like Peter Cushing, I reckon. Regardless, me likey. ;)

Mel Gibson the Adeptus Astartes!

I saw the image and was about to comment about how good it looked and that the only thing I don't get is why the sunken features... and then I saw that comment and that just wipped everything else out of my mind.... pardon me while I go curl up and die a little as that image settles into my mind.

Hah, never even concidered grand moff tarkin. Though you are right Kurgan, it does look like him.

I used two photos as main ref for the face

http://www.dvdblurayreviews.com/wp-content...der-204x300.jpg

and

http://img.poptower.com/pic-45167/michael-...ender.jpg?d=600

but I had to age him, because its supposed to be looking like an old guy (explanasions and such are in that "blog" linked in my sig)

I have a tendency to sink in and make cheekbones stand out and that just really gave it a "moffy" feeling... haha/ purely non-intentional.

I do not have a publisher for this novel- obviously when/if it comes out I wont be making any money on it. Its GW IP and as such I wouldnt dream of breaking their own ruleset.

Individual artwork made for individuals is okay to get paid for- selling and distributing prints and/or stories/movies etc..thats where it becomes copyright and IP infringement.

cheers guys.

Update later on (later today or at latest on Monday).

Really nice picture!!!

...but is that a little parasol on his backpack? ;)

Its a bell.

to quote myself from the article in the "blog"-link below

Church-bells where resposible for many things in the old days. Not only did they ring in the mass, but they also let people know the time (still do, in a lot of places of the world) but one of the most usefull things the church-bells of a city did was:

Warn. Not just to warn the population of a fire, an army marching in or somesuch, but also (and more thematic for the Angels Cruentis) to warn evil spirits that the power of God was there.

In ly own native country of Sweden, this meant that people claimed that Trolls and Giants where deafened and destroyed if they heard a church-bell ring, or that a church-bell could ward off such evil beings. In my current country of Belgium, it meant that wiches beware and evil spirits fled from the sound. I'm sure there are countless of other stories and variations of these types of stories linked to bells.

In short, The Angels Cruentis have to have 'em!

And just for :cusss and giggles: music

Well a bell makes much more sense for sure! ^_^

Hopefully it does.

This is a wip.

I have completed the psychic hood and some other stuff, but Im posting the update a little later, when I have completed a little more then just that.

Im also making a serf that is carrying his helmet.

This being a posing type image of the character...

Anyhow, updated wips a little later.

edit, well allright, just a little quick sneakpeek.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/147/8/5/wip_haroth2_by_1mpact-d3hbsev.jpg

The white armour isnt really completed, need to make it liik more realistic, also began on the cloak. The serf is going to have cords and wires come out of the hood and head.

I use refs for everything. Its the only way to paint things proper.

I dont do paintovers though, I use the refs to get the right feel for shape and form, as well as textures and colourshifts.

For the serf I used a ref from a guy called mjranum on deviantart. He has an oirdinairy account and a stock-account. Very useful for someone like me, whom doesnt really have the models in abundance to take photos f.

Anyhow, will be working more on this as time passes, but frst got some dealines...

I feel like I should just keep posting thumbs up emoticons. I wish I was a little more artistic... :rolleyes:

If wishes were horses, eh?

Archived