Obsidians Crimson Fist Army

Hello everybody,

I am new to these forums, but I have been a long time lurker.

I have always loved the Crimson Fists, and I used to have a 3000pt army when I started collecting 40k back in '97, but due to me being stupid before finding out about the wonders of Dettol, I let my mum chuck almost everything in the rubbish about 3 years ago.

Thanks though, to the wonders of ebay, bitz shops around the internet and discount model shops, I am building up my CF back up to strength, slowly but surely.

To start with, I am going to show you all the models I have completed, which isn't many due to one thing... (if you didn't read the thread description first, then SPOILERS follow...)

I'm doing all the metal work on this army in Non Metallic Metals!!!

He's mad I hear you say, and in some respects, your spot on, I'm truly losing my mind painting lots of stages of grey.

Anyway, heres the first picture...

This is all the models in the army so far that I count as Finished or Almost Finished (1-2 hours work left)

gallery_60213_6192_243400.png

So, for close ups of these lovely models I shall present in order.

1 x Black Reach Captain (minor conversion)

gallery_60213_6192_636927.png

gallery_60213_6192_767232.png

This guys finished!

1 x Scout Squad (old metal models)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Scouts.png

1 x Devestator Squad (ebay rescue models)

gallery_60213_6192_139853.png

Land Speeder to come in my next post as I'm not sure how many pictures I can put up per post.

Right, here is the land speeder

gallery_60213_6192_538385.png

gallery_60213_6192_247090.png

and a combat squad. not finished yet!

gallery_60213_6192_204746.png

I just need to point out, that since I took photos of the scouts and tactical squad, I've gone and re based the whole army as I didn't like the dull grey. they are all now shadow grey with a SW grey drybrush on top now.

I've always had a soft spot for the Crimson Fists and you've certainly done them justice. I especially like the free hand on the cloak and the contrast of the blue armour against the much lighter rubble bases. Great job on the nmm as well, it's very effective.

Wow, thanks everybody for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it!!

Nice! Always wonderful to see ebay-rescued models given a second (or third!) chance

Thanks Metal Apostle, ebay is a good resource for cheap models as long as you can work around 3 main things.

1: Bad paintjobs (dettol)

2: No accessories/ alternate weapons etc (bitz shops)

3: Plastic ****** Cement thats melted half the detail on the model (patience with GS and a steady paintbrush)

Point 3 is my main problem, you can see it if you look at the devestator sergeants breast plate that I've painted the edge of the eagle on.

I read your description, looked at the army shot, and immediately thought "he LIED! those are metallics!"

And then I saw the closeups.

You have succeeded

thank you, this made me smile when I saw it, NMM is a pain to do a whole army in, it's unlikely that I'll do it again, although it is worth it.

I've always had a soft spot for the Crimson Fists and you've certainly done them justice. I especially like the free hand on the cloak and the contrast of the blue armour against the much lighter rubble bases. Great job on the nmm as well, it's very effective.

Thanks Doghouse, I'm glad you like it.

+++[uPDATE TIME]+++

My mum came round on saturday with my belated birthday present (it didn't arrive in time for my birthday when I was there and its a 120 mile trip to my parents house) and I started it pretty much straight away, though after nearly 2 days solid work on it, I think this may take me a while, especially as I have run out of spray undercoat...

you can probably guess what it is by these photos.

The doors on their own have taken me about an hour, and I still need to do text.

gallery_60213_6192_22422.png

The interior of this thing has taken me about 4 hours

gallery_60213_6192_129662.png

I have basecoated the blue and sorted out the drybrushing out on the whole of the body, but I've only done the two stage highlighting on this side. (another 4 hours)

gallery_60213_6192_132720.png

Hope you all like it, C&C welcome as always.

i'll tell you why i like your CF over all the other i have see in the last 5 years. you've stayed within the fluff regarding they are the "Crimson Fist" not the neo two red hands for old timer crap that was pushed via WD articles.

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback, it really helps to keep me motivated to see this through, especially as I now have around 1600pts worth of models to paint or 45 actual models, whichever way you want to see it, and the encouragement spurs me on to do my best. I'm not looking to win competitions with anything I paint, but I can't see the point in just having a "tabletop" quality model, this hobby is expensive as everyone knows (I remember that a tactical squad was £10, and its doubled in price over 10 years...) and I feel I have to make every purchase worth it, even my cheap ebay rescue models!

Wow, these are really well done! I hope you feel a sense of accomplishment with these that keeps you motivated to complete your goal. The blue is so nice its worthy of emulating. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Thanks.

Of Course I don't mind sharing the blue, in fact I did a tutorial on my website for it when I started painting Fists

However, as I'm nice, I've copied it up so you can view here.

I'm using Liquitex Heavy Body Phthalocyanine Blue (Red Shade) and Skull White. The blue is available from most art shops but I've just done the hard work for you and found somewhere on google Here The paints are expensive compared to GW, but you get a lot in a tube and can easily last for about 70 models.

1: The first port of call is to undercoat the model in black, you can either use a spray undercoat or paint it on manually.

(no photo, there are tutorials on undercoating on this site! :) )

2: Next water down the Blue to the consistency of ink and apply liberally to the model.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Step-2.png

3: Now we add a small bit of white to the blue and neatly paint the basecoat for the armour, the amount of white needed is only very small, only dip the first 1mm of the tip of your fine detail brush into the white.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Step-3.png

4: Add another small bit of white to the blue, and apply the paint more towards the edges of the model, for example only in the corners of the shoulder pad. Make sure you leave a darker area inbetween to emphasise shading on the model

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Step-4.png

5: Now we need to blend the colours together, the easiest way to do this is to water down some more of the original blue to the same consistancy as in Step 2 and apply a wash all over.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Step-5.png

6: Add quite a bit of white to the Blue now, somewhere around a 70% white to 30% Blue ratio, and use the tip of your finest brush to highlight around all the edges of the armour, take care around the helmet area as this is usually the focal point of the model. If you do accidentally highlight too much or too thickly, you can cover up by adding some more of the blue wash.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Step-6.png

7: Now, we need to mix more white to the highlighting colour from the last step, somewhere around 90% White to 10% Blue, and apply small highlights to corners of the model. Only a small amount is needed, but this final highlight really makes the model pop out.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/CFP/Step-7.png

There you go, hope that helps anyone thats interested, if you have any queries just let me know.

One last point... What does everyone think I should call the Stormraven, I want to get the text done on the doors so I can varnish them!

Hello Everybody,

I just thought that I'd show off the last few days worth of work.

I've started work on the cockpit of the stormraven, I'm almost done, however, I have had a big point raised to me by my girlfriend, which is that the pilot does not stand out at all when I put the canopy over, which I have to agree on, I'm thinking of painting his helmet white (shadow grey - SW grey - White - Blue Wash - White) what does everyone think? can you see it?

Alternative suggestions are welcome.

gallery_60213_6192_481301.png

My assault squad arrived from ebay a few days ago, and I thought I'd do the relevant work on them yesterday afternoon and at least get them basecoated. Heres what I have so far. (I've upped the brightness on the photo quite a bit so you can see more than just black shapes.)

gallery_60213_6192_3466.png

I converted this guy a long time ago, about 3 years back when I still had access to my old army, and used bits from a bezerker kit as well as a standard marine and an old crozius.

I figured I'd paint him to get my NMM skills up to scratch back in February, and it looked pretty messy, however, I managed to strip him and try again. I'm alot happier this time round. Still need to finish the gold though.

gallery_60213_6192_111256.png

and finally, the obligatory workplace shot with all my fists assembled together.

I'll post pics of the ones you haven't seen once I've done some more work on them.

gallery_60213_6192_462735.png

EDIT: Turns out theres an issue with my webhosting service, all the images are here now. Thanks for your patience

Well after the nightmare that was my website blocking links to my own images, I've managed a workaround thanks to the B&C Admins.

Now, I thought I'd post some updated pics of the work I've done to the Stormraven, it doesn't look like much, but I have spent a considerable amount of time doing this over the last few days.

First up I have finished the cockpit, I'm quite happy with it.

gallery_60213_6192_179386.png

and secondly, I have almost finished the first engine, this has been a complete pain, but the result is worth it!

I would like to do a bit of weathering in the engine, but I'm a bit terrified that I'd ruin it after the 12 hours work I've put into the engine alone.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

gallery_60213_6192_130486.png

C&C Welcome as always

and secondly, I have almost finished the first engine, this has been a complete pain, but the result is worth it!

I would like to do a bit of weathering in the engine, but I'm a bit terrified that I'd ruin it after the 12 hours work I've put into the engine alone.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Looking good so far. :)

Here's my idea: weathering powders. If it doesn't look right you can brush alot of the worst away so start VERY light. I cannot emphasize how light a touch you need if you are unfamiliar with powders. I'd very much recommend doing a test piece (on a spare marine or something) just to get a 'feel' for how powders sit. Besides that maybe a light brown wash near the nozzle? (Before the powders, of course.)

I feel a little pensive offering advice like this when your paint job has taken alot of time and effort. I don't want it to be the 'wrong' advice... :)

I feel a little pensive offering advice like this when your paint job has taken alot of time and effort. I don't want it to be the 'wrong' advice...

Thanks for the idea Olisredan,

I really wouldn't worry, I have enough stuff left over from various projects to try ideas, and I probably won't touch the stormraven until I've got a technique perfected.

Weathering powder seems like a good idea in theory, but I've never used it before... on the plus side, its cheap depending on where you look on the web.

I'm thinking the soot effect kind of thing around the intake and exhaust would be most effective.

Archived