Using a 1992 model as a Crimson Fist Sergeant!

FF151

Hey guys,

I like using the old models, although the scale is off a bit, i think the different poses and things add character to your army as long as you mix and mingle new with old....

Here is a quick pic...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5268/5768316606_fe1278ed3f.jpg

sergeant by ff151, on Flickr

but the real goodiness is in a HD Video showing the entire model, and a comparison to the latest sergeant in the tactical box....

Comments are ALWAYS appreciated, good or bad :0

Cat

I think he looks great. the highlights on the armour are a little sevear, but your work on his face is excellent. And I'm with you on the mixing of new and old models, I've done that myself with my Grey Knights army (LOVE the RT-era GK terminators). While many of the old metal models are a little static looking by today's standards, some also have a level of detail and style that I think the new models lack. The detail bits on the new models feel like "bling" sometimes, where as I think the older ones had more continuity.

Again, nice work and cool concept.

Real nice Crimson Fist - I really like the older models myself, have quite a few. Despite the proportions not being exact you are right, they do have some lovely poses whihc makes them stand out. Nice free hand work on the banner. What blue have you used for the armour?

working on the exact same figure at the moment. I've nicknamed him Sgt SwampHag. (cookie for anyone who gets the reference) I ordered him just before GW ruined their website, thinking he would be one of the figures discontinued, and thinking they would keep the vet with power mace and combi weapon. unfortunately it was other way round.

Best part for me is your banner, great free hand work.

Nice looking model. The richness and the depth of the red and blue are real nice.

The great thing about using older models is that no-one said that all Marines had to be the same size. Fluff-wise, it stands to reason that there would be some differences in a Marines height just as there are in normal humans. I've got a few older models myself and love painting those up as much as the newer ones.

Hey guys,

I like using the old models, although the scale is off a bit, i think the different poses and things add character to your army as long as you mix and mingle new with old....

Here is a quick pic...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5268/5768316606_fe1278ed3f.jpg

sergeant by ff151, on Flickr

Beautiful figure, very well painted, nicely photographed... and quickly becoming a piece of history -- even if they haven't discontinued him yet. I say use him proudly.

I love that sergeant model, I actually have one in the ultramarines army I made when I first started out way back when. Your paintjob is great, especially the freehand on the banner, and may just inspire me to strip it and re-paint it for my current force.

I realize that you may have been going for more of a dynamic pose with the pistol arm, but the way it's bent back at such a large angle (does that make sense?) looks kind of disjointed and unnatural to me in the frontal shots.

Archived