The Leaders of the Pack - Cheese Wolves

The wording is pretty specific for this rule but I can't help but want to ask... Can you arm a Wolf Lord (for example) with a Frost Blade and Bolt Pistol and a second Wolf Lord with a Frost Blade and close combat weapon?

I can see the arguement both ways... a Bolt Pistol technically is a close combat weapon however it's different from just a close combat weapon as it can also shoot as well. As the rule is written in the book, these are not identical pieces of wargear and should be allowed... as cheesy as this would be. The FAQ spoke about some of the more obvious points but bypassed this one...

What are your opinons? Have I overlooked anything or does this appear sound?

The wording is pretty specific for this rule but I can't help but want to ask... Can you arm a Wolf Lord (for example) with a Frost Blade and Bolt Pistol and a second Wolf Lord with a Frost Blade and close combat weapon?

I can see the arguement both ways... a Bolt Pistol technically is a close combat weapon however it's different from just a close combat weapon as it can also shoot as well. As the rule is written in the book, these are not identical pieces of wargear and should be allowed... as cheesy as this would be. The FAQ spoke about some of the more obvious points but bypassed this one...

What are your opinons? Have I overlooked anything or does this appear sound?

Why is this cheesey? It applies the rule and passes the test... nothing cheesey about it. :lol:

*slow waves hand before you* there is no cheese.

Seriously though, they are not identical because a bolt pistol is not a close combat weapon. Its a pistol, with its own rules and profile- and it happens to count as a CCW in the assault.

From my understanding of my friends codex, you could arm two wolflords with a frostblade and a bold pistol, as long as one of them is also provided with a saga, or third piece of wargear(a belt of russ for example). They just can't be completely identical, any difference will do.

From my understanding of my friends codex, you could arm two wolflords with a frostblade and a bold pistol, as long as one of them is also provided with a saga, or third piece of wargear(a belt of russ for example). They just can't be completely identical, any difference will do.

Yer I add meltabombs and what not when I take multiple rune priests.

Not correct.

Q. Can you clarify how The Leaders of the Pack works exactly? (p81)

A. The rules for selecting Sagas are detailed on page 64. As for wargear, no two HQ characters, including Special Characters, may have the exact same wargear and Weapons, even if they are different HQ units. Note that Fenrisian Wolves bought as wargear are included in this check, so if you had two otherwise identical Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, save that one has one Fenrisian Wolf and the other has two, then you are technically obeying this rule just fine. For the record, the intent of the rule is that you should field characterful and diverse heroes in your army, not identical clones with but an extra melta bomb to set them apart. Though we cannot really enforce players to embrace this attitude, the Codex does try to encourage it wherever possible.

The uniqueness of Sagas is a seperate check from The Leaders of the Pack uniqueness check.

Not correct.

A. The rules for selecting Sagas are detailed on page 64. As for wargear, no two HQ characters, including Special Characters, may have the exact same wargear and Weapons, even if they are different HQ units. Note that Fenrisian Wolves bought as wargear are included in this check, so if you had two otherwise identical Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, save that one has one Fenrisian Wolf and the other has two, then you are technically obeying this rule just fine. For the record, the intent of the rule is that you should field characterful and diverse heroes in your army, not identical clones with but an extra melta bomb to set them apart. Though we cannot really enforce players to embrace this attitude, the Codex does try to encourage it wherever possible.

The uniqueness of Sagas is a seperate check from The Leaders of the Pack uniqueness check.

Ah, didn't know that, the codex wording just mashes it all together

What I guess I'm really asking is if (for whatever reason of hilarity) if I would be able to take 4 Wolf Lords (or any number there of) armed like this:

Wolf Lord 1: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Bolt Pistol

Wolf Lord 2: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Bolt Pistol, Meltabomb

Wolf Lord 3: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Close Combat Weapon

Wolf Lord 4: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bomb

I know this would be terrible to actually take to a game but I feel you've all answered my question amazingly. Thanks guys... and gals?

What I guess I'm really asking is if (for whatever reason of hilarity) if I would be able to take 4 Wolf Lords (or any number there of) armed like this:

Wolf Lord 3: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Close Combat Weapon

Wolf Lord 4: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bomb

I know this would be terrible to actually take to a game but I feel you've all answered my question amazingly. Thanks guys... and gals?

Yes, 100% valid.

A. The rules for selecting Sagas are detailed on page 64. As for wargear, no two HQ characters, including Special Characters, may have the exact same wargear and Weapons, even if they are different HQ units. Note that Fenrisian Wolves bought as wargear are included in this check, so if you had two otherwise identical Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, save that one has one Fenrisian Wolf and the other has two, then you are technically obeying this rule just fine. For the record, the intent of the rule is that you should field characterful and diverse heroes in your army, not identical clones with but an extra melta bomb to set them apart. Though we cannot really enforce players to embrace this attitude, the Codex does try to encourage it wherever possible.[/quote]

Seems a few are ignoring the last bit. But then, the question was 'can it be done?', not 'Does this make me look like a Cheesemonger?'...

RoV

Seems a few are ignoring the last bit. But then, the question was 'can it be done?', not 'Does this make me look like a Cheesemonger?'...

RoV

Exactly, the question was about legality, not spirit of the rule. For that matter one could legally field :

Wolf Lord 3: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Bolt Pistol, Fenrisian Wolf

Wolf Lord 4: Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Bolt Pistol, 2X Fenrisian Wolves

I might be misremembering here (don't have the book handy) but isn't Belt of Russ a 0-1 item? IIRC it says 'One of your Wolf Lords may...'

That was the old codex and it was detailed in the space wolves armoury as one per army (page 14.) Also it was the Wolf lord that was a 0 - 1 item (Page 5)

Now we can have four wolf lords all with a belt.

I might be misremembering here (don't have the book handy) but isn't Belt of Russ a 0-1 item? IIRC it says 'One of your Wolf Lords may...'

That was the old codex and it was detailed in the space wolves armoury as one per army (page 14.) Also it was the Wolf lord that was a 0 - 1 item (Page 5)

Now we can have four wolf lords all with a belt.

Haha, you're right, of course! I was somehow mixing it up with the piece of lore in the Armory saying that each Great Company has one Belt of Russ! Sorry 'bout that :P

Archived