Finecast Captain Stern WIP

The fixes I've done so far. Probably will be more surfacing to do once it's primed.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs1.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs2.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs3.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs4.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs5.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs6.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/gs7.jpg

This was the best of the Sterns Warhammer World had on Saturday. If you're after something finecast (it ain't so fine) - check it in the shop. Really. And carefully - a lot of the fixes I had to do here weren't apparent till it was off the sprue and being prepped (in particular the bubbles on the edge of the cloak and on the Storm bolter arm). If I'd have noticed these in the store I would have rejected it.

Yeah, alot of people are finding flaws on the Finecasts. I'm still debating on whether or not I have the patience to buy one and fix the details... I probably do, I'm just lacking incentive to jump into the deep end just yet. :(

all the models were fine from what i could see on saturday. The only problems i had was some air bubbles, which is to be expected, im pretty sure most games workshops will provide u with a better miniature if it's damaged.

Just to reiterate - THIS WAS THE BEST CAPTAIN STERN ON THE SHELF AT WARHAMMER WORLD AT AROUND 2PM, SATURDAY. Most of the others would have involved resculpting the face which was an instant rejection, or had other major voids visible through the packaging.

Seriously - if you're buying this stuff examine it carefully before you leave the store.

This said, the greenstuff can make things look a lot worse (as could any different colour / non-clear surfacing putty).

This is probably the main reason GW advise using (clear) superglue.

The major fixes here (involving actual sculpting effort to fix) are:

The corner of the cloak (went unnoticed in my original review) which was missing due to an air bubble.

The bottom of the left foot, which was incorrectly cast - tricky as I had to resculpt the 'sole' around a sharp void.

The bottom of the right foot, which was uneven.

The backs of both feet, which needed the blank 'filler' carved out and a ribbed one making with greenstuff. If someone has a metal version of this mini, I'd like to know if that also has blank fillers as these didn't actually seem to be a miscast.

The top hem of the cloak under the back vents - again tricky as you have to sculpt to fill a sharp edged void.

The lens on the armour next to his head. This was badly warped and had to be removed and resculpted. Probably the easiest of the sculpting fixes.

The lower lugs on the reliquary on the chest. The left hand one (figure's left) was obscured by a casting vent, and had to be carved away to clear the groove. The right hand one was a casualty to knife slip. Tricky to fix as they're very tiny.

The storm bolter had a bubble on the top, and warping on the side (by the ejection port). Both needed to be sculpted either square (to correct the warp) or around a sharp void (to fix the bubble).

The storm bolter clip was warped and needed to be squared up.

The nose - very thin, slightly warped.

As for not priming it - perhaps not if the resin is in perfect condition. I do need to prime over the greenstuff work though (and you should really prime a superglued surface too). Personally, I'm still of the 'always prepare, always prime' camp.

You may notice blackish soot marks on the shoulder rims - this is soot. I straighten flat plates of resin using warmed plate tweezers like hair irons. I warm them over a candle though, which tends to leave a bit of soot. It wipes off with a q-tip and some alcohol.

Wow, that's a lot of fine-tuning!

Sorry to hear that that was the only one you could grab, maybe return it to GW?

Bought my first Finecast model yesterday (Non-power armoured), and it was fine... Found it brilliant to work with not nearly as many flaws compared to most of my metal models... ;)

Maybe it was just a bad batch that slipped past QA?

Hope it doesn't put you off of them!

Awesome work on the cosmetic reconstruction.

I have no idea how GW can be so proud of this. It is quite obviously a s***ty, sub quality moulding process and to top it all off we end up paying more for it.

If GW wanted to do something better, as an upgrade to metal, why not just make all the metal stuff out of the same plastic and the regular stuff. In all my years collecting I've never had a miscast plastic sprue, although I know people that have and it's only happened once in a few years

GW you are going down hill quickly.

That to me is unacceptable, it was explained to me at Warhammer World on saturday that the resin for the finecast range was of better quality than that used by Forge World.

Well not so looking at that figure. I have had a few miscasts from FW but they always exchange or send out new parts quickly if there are any problems. The issue as I see it is with the box sets sets such as Vanguard Vets, Thunderfire canon, etc you don't know what you've got until you open the box. Did you notice if it had a country of manufacture on the packaging Winterdyne? I have had a FW bag recently that was marked as made in China so I'm wondering if this is a way for GW to reduce costs by shipping resin manufacture out of the UK? That is no excuse for poor QC though. I overheard a couple of complaints while in Bugmans on Saturday about casting issues which put me off buying a finecast, but I didn't see anything I really wanted anyway so I just bought the FW stuff that I went in for. All of which seem fine with no bubbles in the casting, in fact most of the issues I have had with FW resin has been misaligned moulds, not bubbles. Doesn't bode well for the future unless QC improves as a lot of the current metal range will switch to finecast I was told that 1k sons will be going finecast but the IH squad will stay metal - purely down to the numbers sold.

He's looking good so far Winterdyne, I can't wait to see him painted.

That to me is unacceptable, it was explained to me at Warhammer World on saturday that the resin for the finecast range was of better quality than that used by Forge World.

The resin used is of a higher quality than forgeworld's, but GW is still new to the whole thing and need to refine their casting process.

I also want to put forth that while checking the models where possible (re: blisters) should be a given always, if only to ensure that all your parts are there, and that while some you cannot (re: boxed sets), the quality of one particular "set" of Finecast models does not necessarily reflect on the whole of the range. I was at GW on the day Finecast was released and had the opportunity to handle a good dozen Finecast models (ranging from Dark Eldar Archons to Chaos Raptors to Nurgle Daemon Princes).

Not all necessarily contain the same imperfections (amount and type), and minor miscasts can sometimes be expected (I've seen miscasts in both pewter and plastic, so seeing it in Finecast is no surprise to me).

If the miscasting appears consistent throughout a given model range (in this instance, Captain Stern), let GW know and see if they can address the issue with their molds.

DV8

It was manufactured in the UK. Of the positive reviews I've seen, the majority of those were US buyers - perhaps the US QA dept is working better?

I don't think it's the molds that are in issue, so much as casting technique / QA - The Sterns I saw seemed to have progressive faults, each worse than the next.

I picked up a finecast Sternguard squad yesterday which you can see pics of them here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=2775557

There were a few bad spots where I would like replacements for, but nothing like the dozens of little defects your Cpt. Stern - there are a few air bubble voids here and there, which I was expecting. And I do live in the US. I'm sure GW will get things hammered out soon enough, and I have no doubts they will replace that figure for you.

The backs of both feet, which needed the blank 'filler' carved out and a ribbed one making with greenstuff. If someone has a metal version of this mini, I'd like to know if that also has blank fillers as these didn't actually seem to be a miscast.

You are correct in these not being a miscast. I picked up a metal Stern before finecast appeared; and the backs of the feet are indeed simple blank 'filler'. Hells teeth winterdyne, you've done alot of work to redeem the model.

On the subject of finecast; I picked up Kaldor Drago the other day and my flatmate an Emperor's Champion. Drago had one or two spots where some work was required. The right foot required a tiny bit of trimming down due to the tab; the left leg knee guard is missing a small section and there are a few air-bubbles on cabling and the cloak. Can't comment on the EC, as he's built and my flatmate's started painting him already.

I've had a similar experience with Crowe in finecast, you need to do a lot of work rebuilding the model at the minute. I hope they learn how to make best use of this medium because at the minute I'm not sure they know what they are doing. I've never had to spend over an hour prepping metal models but I did have to with the only Finecast mini I've had so far.

On reflection does this make you hesitant to order any more? I thought I'd thoroughly checked the cast of the blister but still got a lot of miscasts, I'd definately be unsure about buying from the Finecast boxed range.

Not so much hesitant, as utterly reluctant.

Edit: It's often not so much the flaws you can see immediately (on a cursory inspection) that are issues, so much as the ones which show up in the process of prepping the mini. I'm pretty proud of my prep work - when removing a mould line (should be easy!) reveals an air bubble, or flakes off a corner, turns a 10 minute job into a four hour struggle, I'm kinda turned off. A quick run with a brass brush and a dremel on metal works wonders, and is much, much more forgiving.

If the finecast cast is near-as-dammit perfect, then the material may be a good choice, but in order for it to work, the flaws need to be VERY minor (surfacing jobs only), and I can't see that happening.

Archived