Finecast Captain Stern WIP

That's pretty upsetting. I was thinking about picking up one just to check it out but seeing this post and hearing from my friend that his Librarian was also pretty bad I think I'll wait a bit and hope they fix their issues. Thankfully I have all the current models I wanted in metal. :) Go go GW,.. price increase ... quality decrease.

This is a serious PR blunder on GW part. I've been playing their games since ~98' and I never had even the tiniest of problems with their kits (maybe apart from the dark angels kit).

Now they boast about finecasts being the best stuff in the world, while in fact they try to sell a bunch of deformed miniatures. If I was a GW executive, I would have them pulled off the shelves in no time. Seriously, do they have any quality control personnel whatsoever?

Here's an update - I sent a link to my blog over to the Customer Services guys at GW. Anyway, I'm being sent a new Captain Stern. No argument, just a shipping notification, nice and efficient. Big kudos to Customer Services.

So, it seems that GW Customer Services also agree this level of fixing is not really acceptable for a premium product. Let's see if the replacement is up to par.

Here's an update - I sent a link to my blog over to the Customer Services guys at GW. Anyway, I'm being sent a new Captain Stern. No argument, just a shipping notification, nice and efficient. Big kudos to Customer Services.

So, it seems that GW Customer Services also agree this level of fixing is not really acceptable for a premium product. Let's see if the replacement is up to par.

Wow that is some great work done, at least you now have two lol ;)

How did you go about contacting them as I've got a Draigo yesterday with some annoying miscast on the arms which I couldn't see when looking at the blister but won't have an opportunity to go back to any store in a while?

It was manufactured in the UK. Of the positive reviews I've seen, the majority of those were US buyers - perhaps the US QA dept is working better?

I don't think it's the molds that are in issue, so much as casting technique / QA - The Sterns I saw seemed to have progressive faults, each worse than the next.

Maybe. We've had lots of problems with the Termie Librarian model here in Australia, and some issues with Canis Wolfborn.

Yesterday I bought a Fincecast Librarian in Terminator Armour for my Grey Knights at GW Canterbury. Although being given the big sell on entering the shop the manager let me build some Dark Eldar in the shop to see if I liked the material.

It is nice material but a figure takes much longer to prepare than other plastic or metal figures. One slip with a sharp knife can easily remove detail or delicate parts. I don't think younger gamers are going to have the patience to do a proper job. It is very easy to try dry fit parts and glues very quick too.

I did study the Librarian for faults and it was pretty perfect. I did check out other figures and some are a mixed bag due to poor quality control. Check before buying in a shop. Buying over the internet will be more problemtatic. The GW shop manager said if there are any faults bring them back for a full refund or replacement.

I did not wash or undercoat the figure but sprayed with Armybuilder Platemail which worked very well.

I have to say I was dubious of the new material at first which is quite flexible. But the quality of the detail is excellent if you have a good quality cast.

This is interesting, because I just handled a truck-load (literally) of Finecast models the other day, and they were all perfect. No defects on any of them. What's more, the models had phenomenal detail, and were proportioned realistically. Lilith, for example, seemed to have a thinner face, sharper hair and armor plates, and a more slender weapon than here clunkier, metal counterpart.

It's strange that so many bad ones have been allowed to slip by packaging. GW is usually pretty meticulous about this stuff.

The replacement also had casting issues. I wonder how many they'll send?

This said, I'd rather keep this thread from being derailed into a finecast hate thread - that sort of thing can be left to the general PC&A area. I'd like to keep this to the WIP on the prepped model now. :-)

Now I am a tiny-bit afraid of getting myself a Finecast Emperor's Champion... :/

i got it yesterday... no real bubbles except one on the shoulder and one on the loincloth...

problem i had was it had no sword... like it fell out of the sprue before packing...

the airbubbles can be filled with superglue and after a scrape of your hobbyknife it is a perfect solution... greenstuff also does the trick but needs more filing if you put on to much and filing can really damage the resin model

Actually I'm not going to bother getting this last one replaced. Counting the 5 I went through in the shop, I'm up to 8 flawed miniatures. I'm now of the opinion that this is simply going to be the norm. I'll be putting a surcharge on commissions involving finecast, too. Way, way too much work compared to metal or plastic.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this, as painting progresses... Keep finding the odd air bubble I missed before (bottom right corner of the loincloth / tabard). Going to be putting my own spin on him a bit, so I'm not too bothered about matching the studio scheme.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/stern7.jpg

Eventually I was refunded for the Captain Stern (keeping the original flawed one used for the review). I bought a Finecast Emperor's Champion, which was fine, only one or two very tiny bubbles (in non-critical areas) and a slightly bendy sword (fixed easily). Not worth the price (maybe half?), but certainly of merchantable quality.

I hate to jinx this as you've done impressive work so far...but I'm worried that Finecast's tendancies to bend (especially under typical summer temperatures) will cause the paint to flake and fall off, long after it's dried. Have you found this to actually happen?

I hate to hear so many of them were flawed but you did an awesome job on fixing it and painting it I hope it stills in good shape. My LGS will not get Finecast because they have been told by GW that it is a product that isn't getting a profit at the moment so they don't want to waste the money.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived