death leaper

bacon2123

His Special rules while nice , don't make him particularly hard to kill.

One rule forces you to shoot at him with night fighting rules , nothing game-breaking.

He does have the stealth special which does mean he has a better cover save , but moderate firepower still brings him down easily.

His special rule "go back into reserve"is what makes him a nice unit to use. It simply allows you to remove him from the table and return him to anywhere on the table the following turn , Its only good for contesting objectives on the last turn really and isn't a gamechanger if you're watching your objectives and know what he can do. Deathleaper will mainly catch you when you let your guard down on objectives and contest an vital objective.

Hes a push-over in combat with any Moderate sized combat unit and can only really threaten small squads in combat. Fairly easy to deal with shoot him with anti-infantry weapons or wound him with a S8 weapon.

the only things id put a death leaper near is the rear armour of tanks and very small squads that arnt combat efficient, like devistators. though id only expect him to do anything vs the veichles due to special rending... how do you find his stats overwhelming?

Sure you don't mean like... The swarm lord/doom of malantai?... cause the deathleaper... I usually ignore him in my DOA list unless I need an easy killpoint...

Does the OP perhaps mean that the Tyranid player is using Deathleaper's ability to disappear each turn (even the same turn that he re-appears from his last disappearance) so that Deathleaper is always off-table? I'm not actually sure on the legality of this, but I've heard of it being used in a couple places.

If the OP doesn't mean that, then... I have no idea what the issue is.

I always thought of deathleaper as a nuisance and something that nid players would play conservatively, death leaper has a way to nerf an opposing HQ with the "its after me rule" while its alive it does not even have to be on the board.

Meltaguns, Plasma, Missile Launchers, Power Fists, they all work, deathleaper looks good on paper but is not hard to kill, even a bolter volley will get a good result.

ive seen the death leaper stats and it seems almost impossible to kill. How can i kill it.

You can't, he's the only unkillable model in the game I'm afraid :ph34r:

Strangely enough the rest of the thread thinks otherwise... I guess they haven't played against it.

ive seen the death leaper stats and it seems almost impossible to kill. How can i kill it.

You can't, he's the only unkillable model in the game I'm afraid :(

Strangely enough the rest of the thread thinks otherwise... I guess they haven't played against it.

Whuuut? I hope that was sarcasm. Only time I ever faced it was one I had points left and bought my devs a fist for the fun of it. And that was the end of him.

You can't, he's the only unkillable model in the game I'm afraid :(

Whuuut? I hope that was sarcasm. Only time I ever faced it was one I had points left and bought my devs a fist for the fun of it. And that was the end of him.

I feel like literally nobody read my post.

Deathleaper can disappear at the start of the turn or something and is taken off the table. Every time he comes back, the Tyranid player can remove him again, thus he can't be killed since he can never be shot.

I did Katie <3 Doesn't mean my post was not meant sarcastic but still.

Anyhow, I'm (not) sure you're (not) right:

Chameleonic skin:

-You place him on the table.

-You may not move or assault that turn.

You are allowed to place the Deathleaper back into reserve íf the Deahtleaper ends his movement pahse blah blah... I read that as he hasn't got a movement phase on the turn he arrives and so he can't be placed back right away. (Makes the most sense RAI wise too ofc)

You can't, he's the only unkillable model in the game I'm afraid :D

Deathleaper can disappear at the start of the turn or something and is taken off the table. Every time he comes back, the Tyranid player can remove him again, thus he can't be killed since he can never be shot.

So, eeerm. What's he supposed to do?

You can't, he's the only unkillable model in the game I'm afraid :D

So, eeerm. What's he supposed to do?

You go second so that when he Tyranid player tries to contest an objective you have a turn to kill him. Other than that... erm, make it so Deathleaper can't be placed within range of an objective by walling off with transports and units. Other than that? Nothing.

I'm really not certain you can bounce him in & out like that... although GW allowed it with Swooping Hawks, so it's no guarantee they haven't been that stupid again.

The -2 to your psykers Ld is a nasty effect though.

I'm really not certain you can bounce him in & out like that... although GW allowed it with Swooping Hawks, so it's no guarantee they haven't been that stupid again.

The -2 to your psykers Ld is a nasty effect though.

I don't think anyone is 'sure' per se, but there's an argument for it as well as a precedent as you say.

The special rules are basically that it can be taken off the table at the end of it's own movement phase and redeployed next turn anywhere more than 1" from an enemy model but it cannot move or assault (although it can run or shoot). Really nothing special and certainly not unkillable.

ok, whipped out the nid codex for this....

deathleaper can pop back into reserve at the end of his movement phase. thing is, if the nid player keeps removing deathleaper after placing him on the board its not effecting the game outside of reducing an hq's leladership by d3.... sure its a pesky thing to have to deal with when your hq is a librarian but other then that he wont have any effect. he only makes you move through terrain on 1d6 when your within 12 inches of him. you cant shoot at him when hes not there so the nightfighting rule wont have effect either.

So basicly if the nid player wants to spend 140 points on a d3 leadership reduction and (possible) last turn objective contester then there isent a thing you can do about it other then making sure that IF he wnats to contest your objective you have enough men around to take care of him...

he has some pesky stats to btw. WS9, S6, T4, W3, I7 and 4 attacks. he rends on a 5+. its not impossible to beat by a long shot though. hes just a tooled up lictor. in my opinion the nid player is better off taking 2 lictors if he wants a last turn objective contestor(10 points cheaper too!). shadow of the warp also makes beeing a psyker very hazardous sooo...*shrugs* not like the -d3 LD is needed :Troops:

Archived